Author Topic: Autochart questions  (Read 6111 times)

Offline LGF

• Luke, I don't have hobbies just Obsessions!
  • Unit(s): Helix 7 SI GPS HELIX 9 CHIRP MEGA SI G2N
Autochart questions
« on: March 25, 2017, 06:31:03 PM »
I have the Helix 7 SI and found that some recordings were on the bank of the reservoir on which I did the recordings, later found that there's a GPS correction function that one can set, prior to say leaving the boat launch.

The 1st question I have is, is there any way that I can access a google Satelite image to overlay to assist with this GPS correction? The reason I'm asking is the zero-lines card I have does not actually represent the exact contours of the reservoirs and is very linear in presentation, thus making it extremely difficult to get an exact fix on the location on the zero lines map to set the GPS correction offset?

I also bought the Helix 9 Mega SI G2N a couple of days ago and still have to test the Autochart live capability, but the question still stays the same, can I overlay any Satelite image from the additional card (additional card slot) or do I first have to copy such an image to the zero lines card before accessing that, if the overlay is at all possible?

Thanx in advance!
When I die, will someone please dress as the Grim Reaper and attend silently and a little distance away from the rest of the crowd? ROFL

Offline D S

• Unit(s): 1198 ,798hd , ipilot link and 360tm
  • Software: 7.5
  • Accessories: HDSI reefmaster Dr Depth autocharts pro
Re: Autochart questions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:14:17 AM »
I believe u can use ac pro to add an image overlay to the zerolines card then put in your helix
 although I have not actually done this with a satellite image I have with  old  paper map images ...works great
but what I would suggest is to add your own shoreline to the map ...( better accuracy I found the shoreline of my local waterbody that came on the zerolines card to be less than desirable)
what i did was open google earth on pc zoom way in then draw the actual shoreline within GE save as kml then upload kml  to acpro as new shoreline then inturn to zerolines card when I made the map
there is a good tutorial with instructions within ACpro  or try google autochart user group for other tutorials
 here is a good one from that page
http://autochart.forumotion.com/t33-importing-kml-files-from-google-earth
DS
stgr

Offline LGF

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:55:58 AM »
Thanx so much, i must still get used to these group thing in searches, keep forgetting that that's most likely to be the case that a group has been established around something and they would have discussions and how to's. Will check it out, again thanx so much for the info you've already given really appreciate it very much!
When I die, will someone please dress as the Grim Reaper and attend silently and a little distance away from the rest of the crowd? ROFL

Offline October1

• Unit(s): Getting ready to buy
  • Software: N/A
  • Accessories: None
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »
I believe u can use ac pro to add an image overlay to the zerolines card then put in your helix
 although I have not actually done this with a satellite image I have with  old  paper map images ...works great
but what I would suggest is to add your own shoreline to the map ...( better accuracy I found the shoreline of my local waterbody that came on the zerolines card to be less than desirable)
what i did was open google earth on pc zoom way in then draw the actual shoreline within GE save as kml then upload kml  to acpro as new shoreline then inturn to zerolines card when I made the map
there is a good tutorial with instructions within ACpro  or try google autochart user group for other tutorials
 here is a good one from that page
http://autochart.forumotion.com/t33-importing-kml-files-from-google-earth
DS

I wish that forum was still active. It seems like no one is running it anymore.

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 06:34:10 PM »
I wish that forum was still active. It seems like no one is running it anymore.

Yeah .... I checked it out the other day and there was no activity since Dec.  I don't think very many people are aware of it.....If we all start referring more people over there and maybe it will pick up.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline October1

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »
Yeah .... I checked it out the other day and there was no activity since Dec.  I don't think very many people are aware of it.....If we all start referring more people over there and maybe it will pick up.
I tried to join it over a month ago and never got approved by the administrator. Came across another guy that tried to join not too long ago and he didn't hear back from them either.

Offline Bob B

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:28:14 PM »
I think Doug Vahrenberg is the primary administrator over there and he seems to have completely disappeared from the forums for the last several months.
Deborah from Humminbird is also an admin over there ..... I will email her and see if I can get some info.

Offline Bob B

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »
I sent emails to Doug and Deborah .... Will post back if I get any more info.

Got an automatic reply from Deborah that she is out til April 18.....If she is gone that long she will be buried when she gets back.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:47:38 PM by Bob B »

Offline October1

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 09:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the update Bob. Hopefully when she does get to it she will be able to give us some good news on the status of that site. Right now it looks to have been dead for a while. I noticed numerous unanswered questions over there too. I may check it out again once I get my Helix 7. I'm sure I will have some questions when I get AutoChart Pro although I may hold off on that for a while due to funds. Still kinda annoyed that HB would let Lowrance be a better value for the dollar, but I will probably still get HB because I guess Lowrance isn't a better value if it quits working and you have to pay a wad of cash to upgrade to a more expensive unit.

Offline LGF

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »
I managed to get some info on our local fishing site called Ultimate Angling but didn't save the site where the info was posted, just took a screenshot on the iPad.

Must still try and import the shoreline saved file from google earth.  Anyhow I will also report back if I was successful with that.

I have one more question. Was on the water yesterday and used my zerolines map card on the Helix 9 Mega SI G2N and noticed that my mapping (where the GPS reckoned the boat was) was on the banks of the reservoir and not even close to the water. I tried several things to see if I could set this right, even tried moving the cursor to where I was on the zerolines map and then tried the Helix 9 to accept that this was the "Vessel Position" but to no avail. We were busy with a competition so I couldn't mess around with it too much and just scanned/mapped the areas I was fishing, although these contour lines are out of the water on dry land on the zerolines map card.

Do any of you guys know how to set such an offset?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo