Author Topic: 898c HD SI: Problems with SI/ DI Pictures, only "greyline" visible  (Read 7077 times)

Offline CarpX

Hello,

first of all thank you for reading my message.
Since a few weeks a have a problem with my sonar, from one moment to another the screen turned into the picture "after.jpg" I have attached. I have tried the following things:
- Reset to Factory Settings
- Update to 7.67 Software
- Tried another transducer
- Played around with the settings

I do not make it to get the screen showing the bottom as shown in the attached picture "previous.jpg".

To me, it is looking as if something is defect in my unit (again, after one year back there was the necessarity to change the keypad- map). Does anybody know this kind of error? Is there anything I can do? to me it seems as if the sensitivity of the device has decreased massively...

Thank you for any hint, also if the hint is "do not know this, send it in" :)

Best Regards from Regensburg in Germany,

Matthias

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
Re: 898c HD SI: Problems with SI/ DI Pictures, only "greyline" visible
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 05:15:48 PM »
Does it look OK in simulator mode?  Do you know anyone that has a Humminbird unit that you could hook your head unit up to their boat?
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline Spd 135

• Unit(s): 898c si 997c SI Helix 12
  • Software: All Current
  • Accessories: 360
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »
1.  Where is your transducer mounted?  I ask in case it is getting too much air by being too close to a propeller.  You can test this by attaching the transducer on a pole and holding it in the water next to your boat while moving slowly.  If you see the proper view then there is interference (air bubbles) in your transducer placement.  The image has a similar look to what you see in very heavy and soft silt.  If the ping returns and air bubbles are between the return and transducer (output as well) your image will be compromised. 
2.  Is the plug (transducer) making a good contact with the head unit?
3.  Are you using a separate power source for the unit?
4.  Are you getting 12v?
5.  I notice your speed is 0.3.  Does this happen when you are moving?  I don't mean to sound any way other than helpful but I have to ask as I saw the speed.  Best of Luck

Maybe something here will help.  Mark
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:47:56 PM by Spd 135 »

Offline CarpX

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 09:54:12 AM »
Hi there,

first of all thanks for your answers.
I have checked for:

- The transducer is about 10cm (~4in.) below the surface. Its assembled with a Titeloc holder, and its fixed and always covered by water. I use the Unit for Carpfishing and making Maps of the Lakes and Rivers I fish in. Sometimes I am using an torqeedo 1003s electrical outboard motor, but most of the time I am rowing the boat. The error is occuring indepent of the way how or if I move the boat.
- contact between transducer and unit -> GOOD
- Changed over to another transducer -> same picture, so I think the problem is located in the unit.
- The power for the Unit comes usually from a 12V/ 7Ah battery. For testing I have changed over to a 12V/ 27Ah Battery. Same error, no change.

So if there is nobody that can say "STOP, I know that picture/ behaviour, do this or that and it will work again" I am going to send the unit in :)

Best Regards from Regensburg in Germany,
Matthias

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »
Did you reset the unit to default settings?......If you did, probably time to send it in .... or at least call customer service.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »
Here is the "Find A Dealer" link ...

http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/Find-A-Dealer/

Rickie

Offline CarpX

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 05:15:08 AM »
Thank you Gentlemen,

I am about to send it in.
No other solutions seems to be available.

Best Regards from Regensburg,
Matthias

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 04:45:03 AM »
Hi Mattthias

You say you've got your unit updated, if you have the opportunity then play the old software version again. The unit will not be repaired in Germany, the Austrian address send your device to the manufacturer, but only as a collective delivery, which took me almost 6 months.

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline CarpX

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 04:02:47 AM »
Hi Rüdiger,

thank you for your reply.
I have update the unit since with the "older version" the error also was present.
It was faulty "over night", from one moment to another, firstly I was thinking that the transducer is the problem. Changing over to another one showed the same results.
I am quite sure that this is a hardware related problem- again. It is already the second time for me that I have to send in the unit, last year in January it was also away due to problems with the keys. It was back after 10 weeks, so maybe I was "lucky"...

Anyway, it is my intention to buy myself a second sonar, small, easy and flexible for my little boat I am using for baiting and drilling. And I can promise you, it will be ANY brand, but not Humminbird. I am really, really pissed off with the ongoing problems, and also the service situation. I have contacted them via the chat on Humminbird.com, no real interest to "help" me, but even more to hand me over to the "Austrian adress" you have mentioned. In the last 12 months the unit was usable only 10 of them to me. This availability is not acceptable. My plans to get Autochart Pro and later that year an Onix unit are at least postphoned or even cancelled.

However, I am in contact with a German supplier, who has probably some testing equipment. I can provide further information to you as soon as I know a little bit more :)

Best Regards,
Matthias

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 04:10:35 AM »
Hi Mattias

Did you have problems even before the software change?
When sending, then directly to the manufacturers who are very accommodating.

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline CarpX

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 04:43:28 AM »
Hi Rüdiger,

yes, to be honest I have changed the software only because of the problems. Quite stupid, because usually the software is not changing "by itself" from one moment to another...
I am still using Dr. Depth, and it has problems with "younger" Firmware- Versions sometimes.

For your information: I just spoke to a guy at "Technik fürs Boot" in Paderborn. My dealer has a good connection, and after naming his company, they offered me to check my unit. So I am going to send it there first, they will do the tests with their dedicated equipment (he spoke about simulation of frequencies a.s.o.), and then we will speak again what is wrong and if it needs to go to the States.

So next step is up to me, to provide them the unit "asap" :).

Best Regards,
Matthias

Offline CarpX

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 09:29:36 AM »
Hi community,

just a short update, this topic is still "under investigation".
I have sent in my unit to one of the German Humminbird Distributors. They have testing equipment there and analyzed my 898 with it. Current status is "the unit is fine" according the functions that you can check with the tester.
Next step will be to check the transducer, and I have got an 899 unit incl. transducer from my dealer for a few weeks for testing some "crossover- configurations". By the way, this is customer service :)).

I will report if the origin for the strange behaviour is clear.

Best Regards,
Matthias

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo