Author Topic: Problems outputting Digital Depth and Track Data from my 998c si to PC  (Read 6194 times)

Offline 96720

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v5.410
I’m having problems outputting Digital Depth and Track Data from my 998c si to PC.  I’ve followed all the steps in the FAQ using the NMEA interface and PC’s hyperterminal program.  I do get NMEA streams of data on the computer screen but my problem is that I can not get any record of data saved to my named text file on the PC.  I followed the specified procedure:

“5. To save the NMEA data to a text file, select Transfer on the Hyperterminal tool bar. Then select Capture text and provide a filename in the Capture text box that appears. Click the Start button. While the data is being displayed on the screen, it is now also being saved to the file you designated.

When I finish my session I can not find any text file with my recordings (5 attempts in the field).  On one occasion I did have the text file but, no data recorded in it.  The file was attached to the HB998c si hyperterminal short cut in the program menu, which I found interesting.  Any ideas as to what I’m doing wrong?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Mark1000

• Unit(s): 1197c SI
  • Software: 5.500
  • Accessories: GPS antenna
Re: Problems outputting Digital Depth and Track Data from my 998c si to PC
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:22:25 PM »
Will units output NMEA data when they are off the boat and running in the simulator mode, or off the boat but playing back a recording?

I have 1197c SI if it makes any difference.   Have not been able to get any NMEA output from my unit using AS PC2 cable.

Offline Enufzed

• Enufzed
  • Oh happy days !!
  • Unit(s): 898cx SI
  • Software: V 6.180
  • Accessories: SanDisk 8GB Extreme III SDHC 30mg
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:03:43 AM »
Hi Mark,
This may be a stupid solution  ??? BUT is  NMEA turned on in your HB unit. In the menu it is set to "OFF"  by default.
Geoff

Old fishos never die: they just smell that way

Offline Mark1000

• Unit(s): 1197c SI
  • Software: 5.500
  • Accessories: GPS antenna
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:45:55 PM »
Thanks Geoff. I should have mentioned that NMEA output was turned on in the 1197c SI menu, I was using AS PC2 cable from the output connector on the back of the 1197, the cable was connected to my laptop with a Serial to USB adapter (came with some kind of software driver that I installed).  I can't see any NMEA data sentences on my computer using hyperterminal.  Baud rate was set at 4800, Data bits to 8, Parity to None, Stop Bits to 1, and Flow Control to Hardware.  I also used GPS Port checker and it couldn't find any NMEA data on any of my computer communication ports.  I tried it both on the boat with real gps and sonar data (but boat was in driveway with sonar in a bucket of water), and off the boat using the 1197c SI's simulator mode.  No NMEA data going to computer in either scenario.  So what am I doing wrong?

Offline drpelle

• DrDepth mapping
  • Unit(s): 998
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:26 AM »
Thanks Geoff. I should have mentioned that NMEA output was turned on in the 1197c SI menu, I was using AS PC2 cable from the output connector on the back of the 1197, the cable was connected to my laptop with a Serial to USB adapter (came with some kind of software driver that I installed).  I can't see any NMEA data sentences on my computer using hyperterminal.  Baud rate was set at 4800, Data bits to 8, Parity to None, Stop Bits to 1, and Flow Control to Hardware.  I also used GPS Port checker and it couldn't find any NMEA data on any of my computer communication ports.  I tried it both on the boat with real gps and sonar data (but boat was in driveway with sonar in a bucket of water), and off the boat using the 1197c SI's simulator mode.  No NMEA data going to computer in either scenario.  So what am I doing wrong?

The NMEA output on the 1197 (as well as other models with external GPS) is in the little pigtail (cable stump)
sticking out from the GPS cable plug. Remove the little rubber cap and you will find NMEA out = white, GND = black.

Per
www.drdepth.se

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:33:31 AM »
The connections are present in the AS-PC cable (see drawing) and the unit should output the NMEA sentences when playing back the Sonar Recording regardless of what mode the unit is running in.  Not sure why this is not working.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline SonarTRX

• SonarTRX
  • Unit(s): 998c-SI
  • Software: SonarTRX
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »
Are you 100% sure the Serial to USB adapter works?

This is a general comment about possible problems when a computer is booted with "live" serial data (NMEA or other), especially when using "plug and play" Serial to USB adapters:

- If the sonar is connected to your computer when it boots, and the Humminbird is sending data, the plug&play mechanism for detecting what is on the USB port often cause problems. Serial port devices are often not detected unless you make some registry-changes to prevent the "plug & play"mechanism from detecting the wrong type of device.

- The same might be a problem if you first connect the Serial to USB adapter to your Humminbird, and then connect it to the computer. Not all  drivers handle this situation (when there is "live data" coming in). The opposite sequence often solves the problem: First connect the Serial to USB device to your computer, wait for it to be detected, then connect the DB-9 from the Humminbird.

This might not be the problem in your case, but it is worth a try.

Tore

Tore@sonartrx.com
http://www.sonartrx.com

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:46:58 PM by SonarTRX »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo