Author Topic: Yacht Transducer options  (Read 6133 times)

Offline missbitey

Yacht Transducer options
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:34:15 PM »
My partner has a 30ft fibreglass yacht which we use to sail around and fish from.  I do most of the fishing, he isn't much interested in it.

I've been wanting a fishfinder for a while and after research, I've pretty much have set my heart on the Humminbird 798cxi HD SI Combo, which will give us the charts as well as the super cool side imaging feature.  The reason I'm wanting the side imaging feature is because in a yacht, it's harder to cover a lot of ground as it's rather slow, so the SI feature will allow us to cover more ground by seeing what is either side and not just directly underneath.

What I am having trouble deciding on is the transducer type.  I've been told (and read) that the transom mount supplied with the unit won't be suitable for a yacht as the prop bubbles will cause too much interference.

The other option is the thru-hull bronze one (BLA code 103348), however this will mean we have to slip the boat and have it installed which will double the cost and unfortunately this is out of the question.

The only other option that I can think is putting the transducer on a pole and sticking it up the front, over the side (it will need to go up the front so that it's in front of the keel).  It's not ideal, but it's really the only other option that I can think of.  I'm not sure if it's viable and I'm hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction.  Is it a viable alternative?  What transducer would be best suited for this? Would the portable one be suitable or is this only suitable for transom mount as well?  Will turbulence be an issue, seeing as it's not got any protection?

So many questions I know and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Non sum pisces.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Yacht Transducer options
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
Hmmmm, I would think that the standard transom mount transducer would be best for this.
You would have to make sure that the “pole” or whatever jig you use, gets the transducer down deep enough to clear the hull.
Some have made their own deployable transducer mount system for this that either deployed vertically or was on a swinging arm that could be lowered and locked in place.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »
transducer location is everything.  I would explore some pole or long shaft trolling motor arrangements with the johnny ray bracket.

You can play with location a bit with a wooden pole until you find the sweet spot.
Although this does mean you will have to be sailing slowley....

Chuck

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:55:39 PM »
Missbitey,

Plus post boat info.

Size and model
Drive system single/twin
Out of water pix of Sterne boat

Thanks Roddy
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline missbitey

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »
Well this IS good news  :) 

Yes I think some sort of pole on a hinge system that can lock in place would be our best bet.

The boat under power does around 6 knots.

The boat is a Roberts 29, single prop Volvo diesel. Pic of it on the slip are attached :)
Non sum pisces.

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »
Forget everthing. Build a tow fish.

Or pole mount a transducer over the side amidships.

Roddy
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline missbitey

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:19:11 PM »
Thanks for the tips and advice.

I'm not sure about a towfish... seems a bit too technical for my liking adn skill level.  I'll talk to my partner about the trandsducer-on-a-pole option and see if he think's it's viable.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Non sum pisces.

Offline BrianRHCT

• Unit(s): 798 ci HD si
  • Software: latest
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 09:25:37 AM »
Where I hail from we call that a "boat".  Don't call 'em yachts until they grow up a little from that little 30 footer.  Course the sailBOAT guys like to think of themselves as "yacht owners" even if they pilot a 15 foot.  It's a sailboat thing.  Same attitude that causes them to run 10 feet off your side when you are on a dead motor drift with lines out.  They have the right of way ya know. Either way transducer location for SI is a big deal.  It's a big deal for the SI and it's a big deal if you want to hold a bottom picture on plane.  I sorta doubt that thing "planes" in anyway so that part probably does matter. :) 
Seems like a pole or something like that off the back would be great.  I doubt there is any bubble or air turbulence from that prop setup at 6 knots but try the pole thing in the back off to one side of the center line and if you see the prop turbulence on one side of the SI then move it to the front.  The obvious problem with mid-ship there is your pole would have to be REALLY long.  You need to get down below the bottom of that keel for a side mount.  Keep an eye on the transducer "angle" particually off the back since that looks like a pretty serious slope. The nice thing about the pole idea is once you figure out how to clamp it in place it is sort of a "temporary" thing. I guess that I wouldn't be too keen on drilling holes in someone elses boat. er.. yacht.. whatever. 
OH yeah if you use a pole off the back be sure to wrap some padding around it.  Don't want the vibration and bopping around of the pole to slap cracks in the guys gell coat. That would be your last trip out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo