Author Topic: Trolling motor interference  (Read 22116 times)

Offline Tarpon200

• Unit(s): 798
Trolling motor interference
« on: November 20, 2011, 05:04:23 PM »
My first pics Trolling motor interference do you think a choke will fix this?

Thanks
Time spent in my boat keeps my wife sane

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Trolling motor interference
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »
Tarpon, certainly cant hurt. These units are very sensitive to external influence. Other issues are using a dedicated battery for the unit and wiring routing...
You can also search this forum using the tab at the top for interference threads...
Chuck

Offline Tarpon200

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:39:38 PM »
Thanks

I don't use the trolling motor batteries i use the cranking battery for the unit

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »
Like Tarpon

I use my cranking battery in the stern for my 1197c (on my console), nothing else other than the on-board charger is connected to this battery.

I swing my 1197 to view while driving the boat or to view from the bow (not inconvenient) while using the trolling motor.

The trolling motor battery is in the Bow (next to the TM) of my boat and there is a large choke supplied by HB on the Trolling Motor.

My boat is a 16 foot aluminum boat, the only wiring that is inter-connected between the bow and the stern is the on-board charger (midships) the charging wire from the bow goes to the on-board charger and likewise the cranking battery charging wire to the charger. 

Why am I telling you this?

Well..... I still get interference on the 1197 when using the trolling motor, without the choke it was worse.

Not sure, but it probably needs a faraday cage (which cannot be retrofitted) to eliminate the interference. 

George

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:37:51 PM by George »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:53:19 AM »
Tarpon,
The trolling motor choke could help but there are other ‘fixes’ that may help as well.  The Customer resource folks at Humminbird are supposed to be kept up to date on these so I would try contacting them and see what is suggested first (there may be multiple steps that you need to go through).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Tarpon200

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
I talked with H/B this morning they said i had the latest and greatest transducer and a power cord with a choke built in it . The lady told me to run a ground wire from my trolling bracket to the battery going to try that next. What do you guys think about the chokes that Radio Shack sells?

Offline George

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 01:43:52 PM »
Hi Tarpon

I think Radio Shacks' Chokes are going to be too small.  The choke that HB sent me is the size of your hand with heavy wiring to go between the battery and the TM.

I am not sure what running a ground wire from the TM bracket to the negative battery terminal does.  The trolling motor's shaft is insulated with a plastic type of product.  Since I have the same interference, I may try connecting a ground wire to the TM shaft to see if it has an impact on the noise.

George

Offline busdriver

• Unit(s): 1 997 - 3 998 - 1 1198
  • Software: latest
  • Accessories: none
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 05:21:43 PM »

Offline Tarpon200

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 10:08:43 AM »
   I worked on my interference problem yesterday . I powered my 798 with a power supply with the wires no where close to the trolling motor wires no change. I removed the transducer from the motor about 10" away and routed the transducer wires away from the motor still does it no change. I added a choke that i got from a car audio store no change. I added a ground wire from my trolling batteries to my cranking batteries no change. When i called H/B she said to add a ground from the unit to the trolling motor mount i did that and it helped a very little, Going to run a ground today from my unit to my trolling motor skeg see what happens. About to get frustrated!!! >:(
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:22:56 AM by Tarpon200 »

Offline Tarpon200

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 07:52:18 PM »
    Finally today made some improvements ran a ground wire from my unit to the clamp on the transducer mount looks a lot better . I also tried a wire from the hot side to the motor no better than the ground so i stuck with the ground. I wrapped the wire around the transducer wire seemed to make it better. I will need to try this in the water maybe it will be even better.

Offline soccplayer07

• Start Your Home Search Today
  • Unit(s): 998c SI
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »
any updates on this thread? I'm having the same problems and I have tried everything you have mentioned.

Offline Tarpon200

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
Yes i have it working a lot better now got a new Transducer from Humminbird one that is made for the trolling motor call customer service and tell them you want the one with the extra shielding for the trolling motor and it will work much better

Offline George

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »

Chokes help some but there is still some interference, there are a number of remedies on this site, you should review everything and try to find something that works for you.  I do not think there is anyone fix for everyone.

There is one suggestion that suggest running an extra  wire from the trolling motor ( think it was the positive wire) to the head of the trolling motor.  Those that have done it have had good results.  You should do a search to get the correct information.

Below is the internet site for the choke that HB uses:

---> http://fishfinders.factoryoutletstore.com/details/0-8915/humminbird-790050-1.html <---

George

Offline soccplayer07

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »
Thanks guys,
I have used an isolated battery for the SI unit. Didn't help. I used 4 chokes. No improvement. I tried grounding the motor to the battery and the SI battery. No improvement. Both power cables are isolated as well. Not sure what else to do. Extremely frustrated.

Offline Tarpon200

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
Get the new Transducer it will work

Offline soccplayer07

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »
When I called them two weeks ago I was told I have the newest transducer. Is there another one?

Offline Tarpon200

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 10:37:33 AM »
Not sure which one you have this is the one that worked for me

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »
That is for the smaller 797/798 units that have 455kHz only Si sonar.
The 998c Si unit that soccplayer07 has uses the larger XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transducer (or the trolling motor version of it which is the same basic transducer) and has the additional RF shielding built into it already.

Offline ETnSC

• Unit(s): 1197c SI
  • Software: 5.43
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
For those of you that have a Minn Kota Riptide ST and maybe the SP, Minn Kota tech support had the local authorized service facility install an internal ground on my Riptide ST101.  That, along with running a ground between the cranking and trolling motor batteries reduced the interference a good amount but did not eliminate it.  According to the service tech Minn Kota is working on a grounding kit for the Riptide series motors.

I called Humminbird a couple of times and all I got was "do the fixes listed on the Humminbird website".  When I told the guy I had already done the list he said sorry and call Minn Kota. 

Minn Kota's customer service was very helpful and actually tried to help.  The Minn Kota tech also said if this doesn't work call back and they would try to figure out something else.  I have not had the opportunity to call back.
ET

Offline jimham82

• Jim Hammond
    • LakeImages Training
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 1198c SI, 360, 899
  • Software: Latest Versions
  • Accessories: AutoChart, Humviewer, ChartSelect, HBPC
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »
I have a MinnKota Fortrex 101 at the bow along with a 1197C SI with a transducer mounted on the trolling motor.   The only time I get any interference now is when I have the speed at 50 or more in over 25' of water.

Here's what I did:

1)  Make sure that the fuse in the trolling motor head is not blown.
2)  Run wire (with a 3 amp fuse) from the negative of one of the trolling motor batteries to the negative of the crank battery.   This really cuts back on the interference -- earth ground.

Offline philbullet

• Unit(s): 788 ci HD di
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 02:12:29 PM »
Do they make a transducer for a 788 ci hd di with the extra shielding?
I went through all steps and even hooked up to a seperate batt. outside of boat on bow and interference only goes away when i remove transducer away from troller motor,a foot or so,soon as u put it back near motor it comes back.
My conclustion is the interference is transporting from motor through transducer.I have the regular transom mount di transducer from Amazon.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
They do make a trolling motor type transducer for the DI model units but it should have the same level of shielding in it that the transom mount version DI transducer has.  Call the folks the Humminbird Customer Resource folks and try the fixes they list for you.

Offline leeb

• Unit(s): 798 ci si
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »
I have heard the 2013 Minn Kota motors will come with the motor housing grounded to resolve the concerns. 

I was able to fix mine by running a ground cable from the motor ground to the brush assembly mounting screw to the housing.

Offline LocDown

• Fishing Videos
  • Unit(s): 1199 H12G2N-HW-MSI
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »
For me, I've added two snap-in chokes to the power cable from radio shack and it helped me. My interference would come on when I hit the fastest speed on the TM. The transducer was on the transom.

or..

Doug Vahrenberg posted another way to add a choke to the transducer cable...
You might want to try this

Tips 'N Tricks 72: Installing RF Transducer Choke
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:20:35 PM by LocDown »

Offline walleye10000

• Unit(s): 597ci hd
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 10:15:06 AM »
last summer I had the same issue with my 597ci hd. I was to the point i was just about ready to throw that hummingbird on the rocks.  But last summer I had to replace my transducer (the seal leaked) and the new one from minn kota  had a little ground wire on it about 3 inch long I didnt  know what to do with it so i grounded it to the motor case on the inside and run that ground up the shaft to the top then added a fuse and grounded it to the boat  I could not believe all interference was gone. Now not everyone can do this but if you have that ground it's worth a try
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:59:27 PM by walleye10000 »

Offline walleye10000

• Unit(s): 597ci hd
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
Also i found this post from   http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/776640/fpart/1/humminbird-788ci-minnkota-universal-sonar-trouble

When I was talking to Vexilar it seem that it is a shelding issue with the US cable by the motor. I think it needs some extra shelding as the issue your seeing is radiated noise.

Please read below as the issue would be with any locater you use with your minn kota.

There are two possible sources of the interference. One is conducted interference, caused by the Pulse Width Modulation speed control in the motor sending pulses into the power circuitry. The other is radiated interference, electromagnetic interference (EMI) from the motor's lower unit and brush leads. Before you can solve the problem, you'll need to determine the source of the interference. Here's how to tell, unplug the transducer from the back of the depth finder. Now run the motor. If you no longer see interference, the problem is radiated noise. If you do, the source is conducted interference from the power line.

To solve conducted interference, you'll need to connect the main negative trolling motor battery post (where the negative trolling motor power wire connects) to an effective earth ground. This can be the negative post on your cranking battery or the hull of the boat, if it's an aluminum hull. Use a small wire, 18 gauge wire will do, with a 1 amp fuse. If you have an on-board charging system, you need to be careful. If the trolling motor power wires connect to the charger, and do not connect directly to the batteries, you'll need to contact the charger manufacturer for further instructions.

If the source of your interference turns out to be radiated noise, you'll need to add a Ferrite Core, a simple piece that attaches to the transducer wire, or replace your transducer, or possibly both. We have been experiencing this issue mostly with the high-thrust motors. The 36 volt motors are the worst. Last year we developed a new Puck that greatly reduces this noise. A new style transducer along with the Ferrite Core should completely eliminate the noise, even in severe cases.

-----

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo