Author Topic: 898 update 6.180 on the water problems  (Read 56104 times)

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 898 update 6.180 on the water problems
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2012, 06:02:14 PM »
It could be Chuck.  Remember the medium being used here is just flash memory which is still volatile.  If you have not experienced a failure of a SD memory card than count yourself lucky as I have had many (including the loss of pictures from a digital camera that cannot be replaced).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 06:59:47 PM »
then I will say lucky is as lucky does.  glad this stuff works for us as it would be a tremoundous headache to lose data.
Actually to date we have not lost any recorded data with HB units.
It goes to the card and then to the pc for review without failure.
Maybe it is more tro do with waypoints than sonar.
Since we dont use the HB navigation we maybew dont see the problem.

We are happy with the sonar end..

Chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

• Unit(s): 898c SI / 798ci HD SI
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 02:25:33 PM »
I just got done in a chat with someone from another forum.  He is having the same exact problem I am having.  He can't get his 898 transducer to show up on his 700 series front unit.  He gets the same exact error I am getting too.  Green box with a alert of lost sonar do you want to switch to local when he tries via Ethernet settings (his worked fine on the 5.7 update just like mine "did").

I didn't ask the other person but I know for a fact on mine that temperature does go across the Ethernet.  I pulled up temp1 and temp2 on both units and that is correct (front and rear transducers).  It is just the fact that the 898 doesn't like to share it's transducers sonar data anymore via Ethernet.  lol

Not a isolated problem...  The "correct" update, as I am told, did fix some problems but not all.  Still not a solid update IMO.  I will leave it on till the next time I get on the water to see what else there is to see.  Might not be for several weeks though due to current weather and work schedule.

So far any issues that I have seen or heard of are Ethernet related.  So if you have a single 898 It "should" be fine.

The new 6.250 update for the 798CI HD SI fixed my transducer sharing problems...  Loaded in a snap and all seems perfect.  To be seen on the water.  Darn winds out here have been killing me.  No fishing in nearly a month.  Shooting for this weekend.  It is "suppose" to be nice as far as the winds.  Big lake plus 20-35 winds equals no fishing for me!

Offline Patty

• Unit(s): 898c SI
  • Software: 6.4??
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »
I too just updated my software to 6.180, I'm not linking it to anything so i don't have those types of problems but the unit does turn off and reboot on its own... I've only had it on the water once since the upgrade and didn't adjust much but when i was playing in the yardswith it it would turn off when scrolling through the menus...

Offline basszilla

• Unit(s): 898c SI & 587ci & 998c HD SI
  • Software: Current
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »
Get the new update!   Install 5.7 then the nEw one. Should fix the problem.  Keep reading the posts above. 

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2012, 07:46:48 PM »
Yup, be sure the update you have starts out with ae8b7 in the file name.  The one that was on HBs website for the first week or two of March had a different file name and that is the one that had issues.  Re-boots, etc, etc.  Since updating my 898 to the ae8b7... file name update I haven't had mine re-boot or do anything funny.  I haven't been on the water with it but have spend hours in the garage in the boat messing with it and no issues whatsoever.

Offline Patty

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »
I just checked the file name and it starts AE8b7 so i'm thinking that i may have a wiring issue... the first time i powered up the unit this year was to update it, it did work fine last summer after I installed the unit... I do have it wired into the power block on my boat but now i'm thinking of going direct to my starting battery to see if it helps it... Its only done it a couple of times and i have been getting low voltage (8-10v) readouts even on fully charged batteries... (I did read about this on another thread here)

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2012, 01:24:43 AM »
Finally I was able to get out on the water today.  A little wind in the AM but overall a perfect day on the water.  Can't beat being on the water on a day most are at work!

Anyways all worked 100% perfect.  Zero reboots and I messed around a ton with both units.  Every setting, etc.  This is with the newest 6.180 update on my 898 and 6.250 update on my 798.  I can "again" share either transducer with either unit.  Waypoint sharing, etc.  All perfect and like it is suppose to be.

We caught 18 fish today.  I spent a lot of time messing around and not as much time fishing as I would like to but needed to really be sure these two units are dialed again.

A couple fish pics (I guess I could go grab my card and see if there is any cool snapshots but I can't think of anything really cool on it to post from today.)

A little bit of everthing Vegas (Lake Mead) has to offer.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »
good news.  And great pictures.

Also your fishing partners are awesome. ;D

I bet they outfish you too.. ::)

Chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »
Usually she beats me.  I don't know how that works  ;)

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
Today I found some time to do some repairs.  So I found that I still had the 5.7 file on my hard drive. I found a 4 gb class ten san disk SDHC chip and formated it using FAT32 formate using my computer.  Then I copied the 5.7 file onto this SDHC chip.  I took the SDHC chip out to my boat and installed it into my 898 control panel.  Before this I set the 898 unit back to the default setting and then turned it off.   With the new SDHC chip in the 898 I turned the 898 on and let it upload the 5.7 software.  After it finished I used the menu to make sure that the 898 with the 5.7 software was set to it's default settings and then turned the 898 unit off again.

I took the SDHC chip out and went back to the computer with it and did another full formate on that SDHC chip to clear off any data from it.  Then I found the new software on the humminbird support site and downloaded it to my computer. I then copied that new file onto the reformatted SDHC chip and took it out to the boat again to install on my 898 unit. 

So far all it well again in Mooseville!

I'll take the boat out and do some testing later on.

Glad you got your unit straightened out basszilla.

Guys, there has been no ’fix’ for the 6.180 software that I am aware of.  There was a wrong file posted to one of the units (don’t remember if it was the 898 unit or not) which has been corrected.  If you try and load the wrong file into your unit the unit should ignore it and not load it at all.  The difference in file names came when the correct 6.180 software file was again reloaded to the web site.  Something is happening when the files get uploaded to the web site as it is renaming them.  Humminbird is trying to get this corrected but it may take time to do so.  BTW: the file name has nothing to do with your unit being able to load a software update or not.  I know this because I have renamed many file names (so they make sense to me) and have not had a problem with the unit accepting and loading them correctly.

If you have problems with a particular software update it could be due to several things one of which that the data got corrupted when downloading it to the SD memory card.

Regards,

Moose1am

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »
Moose1...great... now you can go catch Wolfs fish if his fishing partner will let you get close.. ;D

Let us know how your unit works on  the new update...

Check the nav and waypoint functions..

Chuck

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2012, 10:44:15 AM »
Hey Chuck:
I took the unit out yesterday for a few hours.  I fished more than I played with the humminbird as the crappie were in a feeding mood and I knew a good spot on a drop off next to deep water and a shallow 7 ft deep shelf.  So I didn't get to play with the unit very much except in my driveway.  But I did note that the shut down and rebooting problem was gone. 
I'm going out again today and will play with the humminbird some more and check it out more thoroughly.
I've got to admit that I still have not played with the new waypoint managment software that much yet.  These lakes that I'm fishing are so small that I don't use waypoints that much or have to naviate using the humminbird much. 
Now when or if I ever fish KY lake again I'll be using the waypoint managment program a lot more.  I've got a old friend that gave me his waypoints for Big Sandy a few years back. He  gave me three typed pages of waypoints for that area but I've never had the opportunity to use them since then. 
I need to do some reseach and figure out if there is a manual that shows how to use the new software effectively.
While in my driveway I was looking at some of my snapshots and recordings and could not figure out where they were taken.  The lake I fish is not mapped and the only thing shown on the Humminbird Map view is the roads that surround these old stripper pits.  I should get that Dr Depth program and learn to use it and map these pits with it.  If they would show up on the humminbird units map view that would be great and worth the time. I like to play with topomaps. 
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2012, 04:34:32 PM »
If you made a recording or snapshot then unit will record the gps and it is in the bxx.son file for the record,
You could use humviewer to view the record and see the gps location that way..
Plug those corridinates into google earth or another mapping viewer..
dont know of a manual for new updates...

Chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »
This might seem like a silly question but how do you import waypoints from a SD card into the 898 with 6.180 software?  If I remember correctly under the previous update there was a import tab or maybe it was when you turned the unit on it would read the card and update if something was different (I tried turning the unit on several times with the card in that has different data and nothing got read off it).  It is reading it since it sees that the 6.180 update is on the card.  I can't find anything or anyway of getting stuff off the SD and into my 898 on my unit.  There is nothing in the waypoint management area that I can find that looks like import.

Very important...  I erased all of the saved tracks I had since I wanted to start fresh but there was 3 stuck in there in limbo.  No file but I could see the tracks.  Odd.  Figured the only way to get rid of them was select all and erase.  Worked.  But now all of my waypoints are on the card but I can't get them back on the unit.  (These 3 saved tracks showed up in the HB software program on my PC but not the unit.  I erased them in the HB program and have all of my waypoints saved and uploaded to the card.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:00:17 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »
HMMMMM. I thought it was automatic in 6.180....I will look around our screens..
Chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
Very interesting...  Figured it out 100% by accident.

The 898 or at least mine is pretty picky when you close the cover for the SD cards.  I had it powered up when I went to shut it and bumped the the right card and popped it out.  I figured what the heck and popped it back in with the unit powered up and instantly got the do you want to import, etc, etc dialogue.  It imported all my waypoints.  HAPPY.  Also the 3 "phantom" saved tracks that I couldn't see on the unit, name/file wise, but could see the tracks and could see the file name in the HB PC program are now gone.  What a pain to get rid of 3 tracks.  At least I now know how to import stuff off the card.  The unit has to be powered on when the card is inserted.  I know 100% for a fact that it wasn't this way on the previous update.  I accidently selected delete all over export all once out at the lake and as soon as I powered off the unit and back on I had my waypoints and tracks back.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »
you are so smart..... ;D.... ::)

Thanks for sharing.

Do you want to post this process in Articles and Tutorials...

Chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2012, 05:33:14 PM »
You can if you want.  Not sure if it is "suppose" to work this way or not.  Worked for me.  Maybe Greg will chime in Monday on it.  I can kind of see why if intentional.  If I remember correctly it auto read before so if I had deleted some waypoints on the unit and then powered it off they would be there when I power it back up since it read the card.  I had to remember to export all every time so that wouldn't happen.  I think anyways...  Darn memory.

I also tried both SD card slots to rule that out before I accidently found out how to import.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:34:46 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2012, 05:37:26 PM »
You know more about waypoints than I do.. :-[

I dont know enought to make an intelligent article.

You are da man ::)

chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
Greg is this the correct "new" way to get waypoints/stuff to load into the unit off a SD card?  I know it wasn't on the 5.7 update.

Very interesting...  Figured it out 100% by accident.

The 898 or at least mine is pretty picky when you close the cover for the SD cards.  I had it powered up when I went to shut it and bumped the the right card and popped it out.  I figured what the heck and popped it back in with the unit powered up and instantly got the do you want to import, etc, etc dialogue.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
It is if it works!
I don’t know that the way to load waypoints has been officially changed.  I think that this may be a problem with the 6.180 software.

Has anyone successfully loaded waypoints from an SD card into their unit that is running the 6.180 software by installing the SD card before turning the unit on?

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2012, 08:50:56 AM »
It rebooted on me once Sunday at the lake but I don't think it had anything to do with the update.  I was hitting too many buttons almost at once to change screens, zoom in, mark, etc.  Other than that both were perfect.

I messed around with 83khz for a while.  I hardly do and need to so much more.  I keep on learning...  I was in 40-60 foot of supppper clean water and had it set on max mode with the sensitivity maxxed out with a perfect picture jigging for stripers with a jiggin spoon.  I swear my jig looked like a anchor going up and down since it was showing up that well.  I was highly impressed in that depth.  Before this I had only messed with 200khz and max mode.  Need to learn and mess with stuff more often...  Never ending learning process.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2012, 11:15:45 AM »
good deal.  can you snapshot a couple of pictures and post of the jig?

Learn something new.

Remember what Homer Simpson said.
You are never too old to learn something new. The problem with age is the brain only holds so much and when you reach that point something new kicks out something old..

I am there...
Chuck

Offline RivRunR

• Lowe Roughneck 1752 VPT
  • Unit(s): 898c SI, i-Pilot Link
  • Software: 6.61
  • Accessories: GPS, WeatherSense
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2012, 06:00:19 PM »
... If you try and load the wrong file into your unit the unit should ignore it and not load it at all

Ok, I'm officially lost now.  On 3/6 I installed the "407b" file on my 898 and have had no issues (that I'm aware of).  So, if that's the case did I get the right file, or should I go thru the whole revert to 5.7 then install the "ae8" file routine???

Thanks...
FHB

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2012, 07:13:56 PM »
I would put the 5.7 on and then install the ae8 or if you down load from here the 6.180 is the same..
the ae8 replaced the 407 which had a problem.

you will need to downlevel and the update..

Chuck
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:17:13 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »
I would leave it as is RivRunR as it was the correct file that loaded.  Right now the Humminbird web site is renaming the files when they get uploaded.  When it was reported that the files got renamed some of the software files got reloaded (and so had a different long name) but in the end contained the same information.  There was no change in software made for your unit in between the 407b and ae8 files.  There was one unit (I can’t remember which one) that had the wrong file uploaded but that would not load into the unit that it was loaded under as it was the wrong software update file (hope that made sense).

Offline RivRunR

• Lowe Roughneck 1752 VPT
  • Unit(s): 898c SI, i-Pilot Link
  • Software: 6.61
  • Accessories: GPS, WeatherSense
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2012, 11:41:43 AM »
I would leave it as is RivRunR as it was the correct file that loaded.  Right now the Humminbird web site is renaming the files when they get uploaded.  When it was reported that the files got renamed some of the software files got reloaded (and so had a different long name) but in the end contained the same information.  There was no change in software made for your unit in between the 407b and ae8 files.  There was one unit (I can’t remember which one) that had the wrong file uploaded but that would not load into the unit that it was loaded under as it was the wrong software update file (hope that made sense).

Greg,
Thanks for the clarification.  Like I said, it seems to be working ...so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it !"
Again, thanks for the quick response!

RR
FHB

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2012, 10:07:18 PM »
Greg, I am confused.  A while back you told me the ae8 replaced the 407b which had a small error in it..

Chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2012, 10:44:56 PM »
I know for a fact "something" was different from whatever it was that I downloaded and installed on the 3rd of March verse what I downloaded and installed on the 16th of March.  Both files were 100% the same file size wise but most of the issues I had from the March 3rd download were corrected on the March 16th download.  (6.250 for my 798 in April fixed the remaining issues I had.)

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »
According to the Engineering documentation there was only one software file released for the 898 units.  Now what could have gone wrong with the file being uploaded to the web site, downloaded by all that downloaded it or during the installation process – I don’t know.  If there was a difference than that means that RivRunR’s 898 unit has the same problems as wolfs4evr 898 unit had (and the same would be true for all that downloaded and installed the 407b file.

Chuck, I may have made that statement due to the fact that the file name was so long and that it changed.  There was a bit of confusion here when we started getting calls about the long file names and also when people first started loading the 6.180 software and also had problems with their units.  The whole “the sky is falling” routine – sort of like what goes on here.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »
Lets hope we can get back to a meaningful short name so that we can know releases as they should be known and indicative of level..
Thes long names sure confused a lot of tracking systems.

Chuck
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:17:00 AM by sonar2000 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »
Lets hope we can get back to a meaningful short name so that we can know releases as they should be known and indicative of level..
Thes long names sure confused a lot of tracking systems.

Chuck

Amen to that Chuck!

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »
Amen, Praise Allah, Bless the fish, Curse Satan.

What ever it takes to get back on track.. ;D

Chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2012, 08:04:15 AM »
I had quite a few reboots this past Saturday.  Bothersome.  I had one before I even made it 100 feet from the ramp.  Multiple buttons pushes and it is over.  One has to push a button, wait, push, etc.  You can't really click, click, click or it will get you.  More so in the early hours.  It happened less and less as the day went on.  Maybe 8 or so times it rebooted on me.  Doing nothing different than I have in the past.  Still like what 6.180 gives me just bothersome verse 5.7 where it never ever rebooted no matter what one did.

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »
The problem can occur when you download the software form the Humminbird Server to your home computer. If your home computer is running a firewall or an antivirus program at that time then sometimes the download can be corrupted.
I learned about this from downloading games over the internet. The developer of the games had a lot of techs that helped it's customers with these downloads.  I'm talking about the time frame from 1998 to 2010 when at the beginning a lot of people used dial up phone modems. But even with DSL or cable modems that have better data transfer rates and better error correction feathers you can still get a corrupted file when running virus software and firewalls on your home or work computer. 
The thing I was told to do is to disable the virus software before downloading important files such as the new Humminbird Updates. Then turn the virus software back on. Same with your firewall program. Disable it until after your download the humminbird update and then re enable it again. 
Be careful when using an SDHC card in your computer or in your humminbird unit to make sure that it's not being read or written to when you pull it out of the card reader or the humminbird slots.  I make sure that my humminbird is turned off before I pull out any SDHC cards from the slots in the control head. 
Better to be safe than sorry.
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
Moose1...great... now you can go catch Wolfs fish if his fishing partner will let you get close.. ;D

Let us know how your unit works on  the new update...

Check the nav and waypoint functions..

Chuck

So far I've spent a couple of hours testing the news software.  Seems to be working ok except for the lines that run down the center of the screen just to theside of boat's center line.  It's as if there is something below the transducer about 2 ft down and reflecting the sound waves back up to the sonar. The reflections show up stronger on the left side of the center line but there is a line on the right side also. Never really noticed this before, but I've seen the same thing in some screen shots of the Humminbird unitls on the bass boat central web site under the Humminbird SI forum.
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
Since the transducer does have a bit of forward cone it is possible to be reflecting the bottom of the boat.  Justy slightly but enough to cause a line..

Chuck

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2012, 07:14:05 AM »
My Two year extended warranty expired in March or April of this year so I'm out of luck if my transducer is messed up.  I'm hoping that it's something that I can fix without having to buy a new trandsucer. That would cost me $300 bucks approximately.  Give or take a few bucks. 
I looked at the transducer and where it's mounted on my boat yesterday for a few minutes.  There is a metal rib that runs along the bottom of my boat and I put the transducer in the middle of two of these metal ribs.  Perhaps there is some turbulence coming along the metal rib on the bottom of my boat.  I have a FisherMarine Water Strider III Aluminum Boat that I bought in 1978.  The bottom is flat like a john boat which is really what this boat is.  The front if flat just like a john boat.  They didn't start modifying the front end of these Aluminum boats until 1979.  My unfortune to buy the boat a year too early.  But the boat is perfect for the lakes or old strip pits that I'm fishing now.

I'll have to detach my transducer from it's metal bracket on my boat and hook it up to a long pole and do some testing with it.  I'll have to unwrap all the tape that I used to secure the transducer cable in place next to the motor.  And I'll have to clip a bunch of ties that I used to secure the cable so that I can get so slack in the cable.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:16:06 AM by Moose1am »
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Patty

« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »
my unit has the lines on the left side as well... thought it was my jack plate I installed but there is nothing in the way of my transducer i've checked and re checked.... maybe it does have something to do with the update.... on mine it seems to go away every once and A while....

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
I took my boat out today and set the 898 to 800 KHz SI frequency and then set the range to 40 ft in shallow water.  The image on my left side had a solid line that was much wider than before. And the left side of my SI screen was darker than the right side.
I also noticed some glitches in the User Defined display on the left side of the screen. The numbers that go from top to bottom.  I was chaning the number 2 position and noticed that the display didn't not change in some of the SI screens. The change appeared on some screens such as the Switchfire screen.  But I would think that if you changed the number two postion to time that it would show the time instead of the default course on all screens that show these data along the left vertical column of the display. 
I think that Humminbird has way too many models to keep track of.  They should limit how many models they make and make it much easier to program for them all.
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
+1 Moose

Chuck

Offline Patty

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2012, 10:55:35 AM »
didn't the new update give you control of the side imaging readouts independently?

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2012, 01:17:45 PM »
Not really. All you can do is turn them on or off on the SI screen only.  That does not affect the other screens as far as I can tell.

And you can't change the text that's shown on the screen lower left hand corner when you turn off the vertical column of text on the left side of the SI screen view. 

I was hoping for more control and to have all the  text in the vertical column on the left side of the SI screen view shown on the bottom of the SI screen veiws.  Didn't happen like that. 
And the selective text changes don't always work right either. They work only on the Switch fire screen veiws but some of the other views go back to the default text. There are 5 different texts shown in a verticle column on the left side of the screen in most of the veiws. Your suppose to be able to go into the Setup Menu and chose "selective text" or something similar to that phrase and change the text shown in some of the 5 boxes of text. But I think that the manual does say there are limits to what can be changed in the various screen veiws.  So this may be by design and not a bug after all.
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Patty

« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2012, 02:41:35 PM »
yes my readouts change when I scroll through the different views just when there is navigation involved tho... the bearing always comes up.... just noticed that....

Offline Patty

« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2012, 03:39:11 PM »
did you figure out what was causing the solid line on the left side? mind has three or four evenly spaced on the left side that weren't there before I updated....

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2012, 09:06:27 AM »
Have not figured out why the lines are there on the display screen just to the left of my center line in SI view.  Not really sure what's causing it.
I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the updates in the firmware ? 
I played with my unit by turning off the gas motor and drifting along with the wind and the lines were still on my screen.  I'll have to try tilting the motor up all the way out of the water and see if that makes the lines go away. If that doesn't clear this problem up I don't know what else to do other than to remove the transucer off the boat and mount it on a long pole and stick it under the water deeper to see if that clears the lines up off my screen.
I've been fooling around doing all this testing and now my warranty is  over.  I even have the special status with a extended one year warranty added onto the original one year warranty. But the problem started before my warranty was up.   Not sure what to do but I hope that Humminbird will treat me fairly on this issue or get it fixed if its in the software.  I'll have to wait and see.
Right now I'm excited about receiving the new Lakemaster Digital Map card for IN/OH as it's got three of the main lakes I fish. I can't wait until that arrives in the mail and I can see how it works. Hope it's bug free . :)
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline Patty

« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
i've tried trimming my motor out too and it didn't help at all.... when I an trimmed right down I do get A bit of A line but it goes away with A couple inches of trimming up....  I can be sure there is nothing interfering with the transducer on my boat... i'll try and post A couple of snapshots tonight....

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »
I really think the transducer cone has a slight upward signal. (very slight) or the reflected signal off the bottom also hits the boat keel and reflects back some.
We dont see this on a towfish..
Chuck

Offline Moose1am

« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2012, 10:22:26 AM »
You might be right. But does the transducer have a sligthly forward lean. According to the 3 D drawing that's posted on the Web Site's 2 D picture or view the sonar beam is very thin. it goes out at 90 deg right angles to the long axis of the sonar transducer and to the left and right in a very thin slice of sound. 
I've taken pictures of the back of my boat to show where the transducer is mounted in relastion to the boat transom and the motor.  I can't see anything in the way of the sonar beam if it's going out of my transducer as dipicted on the Humminbird 3D pictures on their web site.
Perhaps the beams are spread out more than they dipict them in the 3 D drawing.  Perhaps they are reflecting off the water's surface just a few feet away from the Transducer.

But I wonder why I never noticed this before?  That's my concern right now.  A minor concern but still I wonder what's going on?  Not everyone see this but then not everyone is mounting their transducers on the same kinds of boats and or in the same location on identical boats.  And different boats may have different stuff mounted on their transoms as well.  There are many other variables to consider such as how the transducer wiring it routed to the Humminbird control head.  I have other wires running though the same pathway that my transducer cable runs though on the starboard side of my boat.

Regards,

Moose1am

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo