Author Topic: 898 update 6.180 on the water problems  (Read 56100 times)

Offline wolfs4evr

• Unit(s): 898c SI / 798ci HD SI
898 update 6.180 on the water problems
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:29:31 AM »
Where to start…  Should of taken written notes verse mental notes fishing yesterday. 

Anyways I did the 6.180 upgrade to my 898 and had some issues/stuff that has never happened before the upgrade with it Sunday on the lake.  (I did the full reset prior to the update, etc, etc)

Config:  898c on the console and a  798ci HD on the bow (Both have the newest updates installed).  They are connected via a Ethernet cable.

1.  Waypoints are not being shared between the two anymore.  (I triple checked and checked again all of the Ethernet settings.  Not like there is a ton of settings to mess with.  It is pretty much plug and play.)

I keep all of my waypoints on the 898 for the most part so I only have to back-up on one SD card.  All of the ones I had on it (898) and on the SD card (898s card) prior to the update are transferring fine/viewable on the 798 just like normal.  Any new waypoints I created Sunday at the lake on the 898 did not go to the bow 798 (I left some in for hours just to see if they would eventually transfer with no luck).  But any new waypoint that I created on the 798 appeared instantly on the 898.  Other than checking Ethernet settings (I triple verified share waypoints on both units is selected) I am at a loss what else to look at.  Something screwy with the new waypoint management or something changed that is causing issues with the Ethernet.  Or I am really missing something.

2.  Sonar via the Ethernet.

I am no longer able to share transducers via the Ethernet.  Typically when I am on the bow I set the consoles 898 to the bow/TM mounted 798 transducer via the Ethernet so whomever is in the back has something to look at also.  (Shallow water I don’t have to but once one gets into the 20+ feet water depth range I get some mutual sonar interference on both units.  Not much but enough to be bothersome.  If I am by myself I just turn the consoles sonar off.)  I tried on both units and no luck either way.  The console wouldn’t take the bows 798 transducer and the bow wouldn’t take the consoles 898 transducer via Ethernet.  Use to work just fine…

3.  Reboots.

Never happened to me before but now I had several.  Once or twice while switching between screens on the 898 it would just shut down and reboot right back up.  Then 3 or 4 times in a row I scrolled over to a waypoint on the map and clicked on it and selected delete.  It would delete then the unit would immediately shut down and reboot.  Might have been 4 in a row, then I deleted 2 or 3 more after that and they deleted like normal and didn’t reboot.

I know I am missing some other minor stuff…  Will have to keep better notes next time (a couple weeks from now before the next outing.)

Tom

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: 898 update 6.180 on the water problems
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:34:55 AM »
Tom, can you say that individually the units work and that the problem is while connected together..

We dont use any dual shared units so I am thinking that the problem lies in the code for sharing the information.

By all means share this with HB customere support so they can relay on to the developers..

I guess this all worked ok prior to the upgrade...

Chuck
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:01:55 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:26:58 AM »
They worked fine individually (minus the 898 re-booting by itself stuff).  Just that "most" of the Ethernet stuff didn't post update.  I didn't try using the 898s puck/GPS on the 798 so one item I didn't test on the water so don't know about that item.

Yes, everything worked like it is suppose to prior to the 6.180 update Ethernet wise and sharing GPS, transducers, waypoints, etc.

I didn't really care for the auto SI range.  As depth changed and the scale changed I was getting blank areas on the outside edges on both sides when it ranged from a smaller range scale to a bigger range scale.  I finally turned that function off and went back to my standard 100 foot scale.

Trying to figure out how to export waypoints, saved tracks, etc was a big old pain in the backside.  Kicked my trail.  lol  I didn't find that till I was home Sunday night and messing around with it more in the garage.  Hidden...

COG/SOG is good.  Range circles are good.  Full screen SI is good (Wish I could do the same on the 3 screen view (SI/DI/Sonar view)).  Some good stuff in the update but in the end until this Ethernet thing gets figured out I took a big step backwards in technology with this update.  I lost some of the biggest ticket items I purchased these specific units for.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »
wolf, I am guess HB missed some "stuff" on the new code.
I always hate to go back level, but you might want to try that until some of the "new" bugs can identified and fixed. ::)

We are pretty much a HB user for sonar.
GPS and Nav we use another unit (different mfgr).
We also dont interconnect units.

SAR restricts the usage a lot from what fisher people do.

I wish I knew more on the waypoints, etc.
On our other brand the GPS and nav is really simple and user proof..

Chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
I think I remember seeing something about being able to change ping rate too.  Don't remember seeing that option/field before.  Something I didn't get a chance to mess with and see what it did.  Heck I don't even remember where I seen that at in the menus...

Stuff to mess with next outing and learn.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »
Ping rate has to do with how often you ping (as in send a signal).

The rate has to do with depth and target display. It also corrosponds to your selection for higher speeds. If you have a ping rate of 1 and you are going fast then the amount of pings hitting a target is low and the display does not portray the shape as accurately..

Ping rate is influenced by bottom composition such as soft or hard. (or a target)

It is something you have to play with and see what gives the optimum target..

The ping rate should be in your snapshot and recording xpress menu...
The setting is 1 to 10 or auto.

Chuck

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:25:26 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:38:16 AM »
Hi Wolf

1 waypoint sharing:
I think there's a new menu item in the Ethernet settings in which the distribution of the waypoints must be allowed.

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »
Waypoint sharing is now working and I didn't do a thing.  Went out and messed with it just a bit ago for the first time since being on the water Sunday.  I guess I should of tried turning the bow 798 off/on while I was at the lake since that appears to be what fixed it.  I did try turning the console 898 off/on several times manually amongst all the reboots it did by itself on the lake Sunday and that didn't do anything for me.

Back to the use of Sonar via the Ethernet.  I am not on the water testing right now (in the garage) but it appears that function still isn't working at all but something is...  If that makes sense (It might of been this way on the lake somewhat...  I never got this much into messing with it on the water).  When I select the consoles transducer on the bow via the Ethernet settings I get a error saying lost sonar do you want to switch to local.  The depth blinks like a loss of sonar.  But I am able to go into the sonar settings and change items like 83/200 to 200 or 83 and see that change happen on the other unit.  Same with Clear or Max mode.  I can change them on one unit and the other changes.  Just like it is suppose to do but no sonar is making it across the Ethernet path.  For some reason right now when I select the consoles transducer on the bow it appears to be taking it.  At least I am not getting any error messages.  The depth appears to be the same on both units and whatever is coming across on the sonar view appears to be about the same on both (garage floor).  I can't vouch for SI/DI until I get on the water.  (Now thinking about this one, if I remember correctly, on the water Sunday the console did take the bow transducer but the sonar/di/si images were blurry junk and useless.)

(I did try a reset on the 798 to see if that did anything for me and it didn't other than make a mess of my normal unit set-up...)

GPS is working fine via Ethernet.  I can select the 898s puck on the 798 and it switches over and I can select the internal GPS on the 798 and see it on the 898.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:28:05 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline calli1

• Unit(s): 1198 S I & 787c2i
  • Accessories: XM Weather & Weather Sense
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:45:51 PM »
I have not had time to give a report of my day on the water.  I have to say that my unit did shut off both on and off the water.  Once while fishing yesterday and once Sunday evening testing unit when I would scroll through with the view button.  Otherwise...everything else works ok so far.  Have not done any waypoint stuff yet.

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
When I called HB about this this past week the waypoint sharing issue is already a known problem.  The sonar sharing problem was something new to them so to be seen.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
I wonder if the software dervelopers test the codes with multiple units or just on the model by itsself?
Seems we have issues when we connect several together. By themselves they seem to run fine..

Chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »
So I grabbed my chip and re-installed the older 5.7 update and tossed that back into the unit...  Hmmm, not as simple as I was hoping.  Didn't take it at all.  Didn't even recognize there was a different update on the chip.  More than likely it thinks a old update is on the chip and doesn't even ponder installing it.  I guess I am stuck with what is in the unit for now.  I wasn't sure if you could downgrade a update or not and this shows you can't.  Unless there is a trick to it.

I read elsewhere that HB is suppose to come out with the correct update for the 898 first thing this upcoming week.  Fingers crossed one comes out and that I am able to put it on my unit now that this flawed update is on it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:23:09 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline calli1

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »
You have to be carefull in trying to install a older update from what I have read and heard.  I think they say it could damage your unit or hardware instide the unit.   I thought about doing the same thing on a update at one time back on my 898 but decided against it.  Good luck.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 07:01:34 PM »
Another consideration is to only have one update on the card. I would also suggest no waypoints either.  At least for the time being...
Depending on the unit and the down level code you shoud be able to go back at lease one level..
Chuck

Offline calli1

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
I accually have all of the latest updates on my laptop.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 02:05:38 PM »
wolfs4evr,
Did you ever get the 5.700 software update to ‘take’?
I know of no reason why you could not step back one level in the software.  What you do not want to do is step back to a software version that is older than what the unit was initially made with.  Doing so could cause some incompatibility problems and cause the unit not to operate.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
Actually when I went back out to the boat and opened up the card reader door I realized that when I shut it I must of bumped the right chip and it had ejected from being fully seated.  Thought about it for a bit and decided not to try to downgrade the unit and wait and see what comes about.  I also called HB and asked and was advised if that is what I really wanted to do it was highly recommended that I send the unit back to downgrade it.  I like the changes on the 6.180 but it sucks not being able to share sonar via the Ethernet.  Plus the waypoints being picky about going across the Ethernet.

Will hold out and see what HM comes up with.  Not fishing this weekend due to work plus the weather is sketchy.  Might be working next weekend too...  To be seen.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:07:25 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »
I just checked HB website and there appears to be a different update for the 898 on there now.  At least the file name is different from what I downloaded and installed on the 2nd.  I won't be able to try this till this weekend but how do I go about installing it?  I am only asking this since I already have whatever was on HB website on my 898 and it is listed as a 6.180 update already.  Will this new one just install like normal or is there anything special I have to do, other than the normal reset all, etc?

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »
It may not install because the unit already thinks it is at the 6.180 rev.  You may just have to try it and see what happens, or you may have to get advice from HB customer support on that one.

There would be some other things to try, like going backwards on the software and then re-installing the new rev....I would call customer service first.....or wait and see what Greg has to say.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:34:37 PM by Bob B »
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 11:26:33 AM »
It should not be a problem going back to the 5.700 software.
I don’t know anything about a new software update for the 898 units but than I arrived late to a meeting yesterday where this might have been discussed (have not had time to follow up on this with other attendees yet).

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »
wolf.  if it is a new release then the finel name will be different.
What file name did you see.
Also if you get a new download mail to me so I can continue to work on getting updates on this forum.
email=ncurt100@gmail.com

Chuck
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:03:01 PM by sonar2000 »

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »
I won't be home till Saturday to play with it.  Will post anything if there is anything to post about.  I just looked at what is listed under the 898 for updates and what is there is a different name than what I have saved at home from the 2nd.  All I know for now.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 06:05:23 PM »
OK, thanks,, I dont have visibility into HB for all software release and depend on you guys to let me know what is there.

I hope that our download section will be even better n the coming months as I can get releases into it.

Thanks for all that you do towards this endeavor..

chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 04:51:25 PM »
HB seems to be getting it right slowly but surely (but not completely)...  To install this different file name but still called a 6.180 update I had to revert my unit back to the 5.7 software (glad I had it saved).  Then load this one to get it to take (I called HB and that is what I was told I had to do for it to take since the update is called the same).  Anyways got all of that done and then spent a hour or so playing with it in the garage.

Main big difference for me is that my console mounted 898 will now take the bow mounted 798ci HD TM installed transducer via Ethernet.  I know for sure this works.  I snaked the transducer cord out some and laid it next to the TM power lines so I get interference and seen the same image on both units (Interference on SI)

But my 798 bow unit still won't take the 898 transom transducer via Ethernet.  The depth starts to blink when I switch over and shortly thereafter I get a pop up green window with the alert Sonar source is lost do you want to switch to local.  I tried turning on/off/on both units several times to see if that did anything and nada.  (This really doesn't matter to me now days since I mounted a transducer on the TM and have no reason to use the transom transducer anymore from up front.  For several months though I didn't have a TM mounted transducer and this would not of been good!)

Everything else seems to work.  GPS via Ethernet either way works.  Waypoints marked on one are on the other in a second, etc, etc.

Update while I am typing this...

Called HB again to relay what I am seeing now and she said she knew nothing of a different release.  I relayed the two file names I have (one downloaded on 2Mar and the other downloaded 16Mar) and it ends up HB accidently uploaded/posted the 6.180 update for the 1197 into the 898 folder.  This wasn't realized for a week or so.  So anyone with a update for their 898 with a file name that starts out with 407b11..... it is WRONG.  The correct file name for the 6.180 update for the 898 starts out with ae8b7....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:04:42 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline Bassgrabber

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »
Wow ya know I did the same thing Installed the wrong update and it still on my 898 and wouldn't ya know it I didnt save the 5.700 update anyone know where I can find it so I can get the right update on mine. I noticed that my unit lost the option to export my way points.

Regards
Mark 

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »
Export is actually still there.  Took me hours to find.  lol  Different spot.  There is several posts floating around on where to find it.  I'll send you the 5.7 here in a bit in a PM.

Offline Bassgrabber

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 05:31:01 PM »
Awesome thank you sir

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 05:48:09 PM »
Export is under the waypoint manager now verse where you are use to it.

Offline Bassgrabber

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 09:21:37 PM »
Yep I finally found that as well. I just bought this 898 SI and still trying to get used to it.. Also bought the Navionics Platinum so throw that in and I am way behind the curve. I have found this forum to be most helpful thanks to all for your help, im sure you will see more questions out of me :)

Regards

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 09:29:26 PM »
I am not too much further back in the curve than you...  I got the boat and 898/Nav Plat the end of Sep and the 798 in Oct.  I have a feeling I will be learning how to properly use them for the next several years.   Only advantage I have had so far in learning is the fact I can fish year round and have spent quite a bit of time trying to learn how to use them during the slower fishing months out here in Vegas.

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »
I just got done in a chat with someone from another forum.  He is having the same exact problem I am having.  He can't get his 898 transducer to show up on his 700 series front unit.  He gets the same exact error I am getting too.  Green box with a alert of lost sonar do you want to switch to local when he tries via Ethernet settings (his worked fine on the 5.7 update just like mine "did").

I didn't ask the other person but I know for a fact on mine that temperature does go across the Ethernet.  I pulled up temp1 and temp2 on both units and that is correct (front and rear transducers).  It is just the fact that the 898 doesn't like to share it's transducers sonar data anymore via Ethernet.  lol

Not a isolated problem...  The "correct" update, as I am told, did fix some problems but not all.  Still not a solid update IMO.  I will leave it on till the next time I get on the water to see what else there is to see.  Might not be for several weeks though due to current weather and work schedule.

So far any issues that I have seen or heard of are Ethernet related.  So if you have a single 898 It "should" be fine.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:22:31 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 11:12:06 PM »
The one thing I don't get is that the file I downloaded on the 2nd and the file with a different name that I downloaded today (16th) are 100% identical in size.  Down to the kb.  Doesn't make sense that they loaded the wrong one and changed it weeks later to the correct one and they are both 100% identical in size.  Not sure what is really going on...  Other than the one I put on my 898 today allows me to share my 798 transducer via the Ethernet to the 898.  One thing I couldn't do on the update I put on my 898 on the 2nd.

Offline Bassgrabber

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »
Wolf I live here in the midwest (Missouri) did some fishing out on Lake Mead In Dec. for Stripers could have used this 898 on that trip as well :)

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »
My daughter and I were catching 60-100 Stripers before noon several weeks in a row in December.  All catch and release.  No reason to be bringing that many home.  lol  Was a good time to be out there.  Threadfin shad were a snap to catch there for a while.  One or two casts of the net and hundreds of them in the bucket.

Yup the 898 was good to have  ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:37:51 PM by wolfs4evr »

Offline GPa

• Unit(s): 898c SI, 4ID, Wide Eye
  • Software: 6.180
  • Accessories: GPS, VHF Radio
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 11:17:23 AM »
I have really enjoyed my 898c SI until yesterday!! Got the email notice of software update first of the month, downloaded and installed March 3rd. Didn't get a chance to go to the lake until yesterday and got a nasty surprise. My unit will not get a GPS fix. Absolutely no navigation data of any kind. System status check passes, is says GPS is connected but GPS screen says No GPS Fix. Checked all wiring and everything looks good. Whenever I try to show any screen with navigation info all that I get is a blank white screen with the label "No GPS Fix".
Came home and started to look at this web site today. It appears that I installed the first and wrong software that Humminbird posted for the 898c first of March.
Downloaded the new software and, of course, the unit says I already have version6.180 and an update is not needed.
Has anybody been able to resolve the bad update problem?
I intend to call Humminbird in the morning. Will pass on any info I get.

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »
I didn't have any issues with the GPS on my 898 with the earlier released update.

You have to revert your unit back to the 5.7 update before updating it "again" with the newer named 6.180 update.  I tried to install this different named 6.180 update just like you and got the same error message that 6.180 is already installed.  Called HB and told that is what I had to do.  It went smooth.  A couple error messages about out of memory that made me nervous when I put the 5.7 back on but once I put the chip back in with the newer 6.180 update it took and no error messages.  I haven't been on the water with this one yet.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »
this is the one you should have on now..

ae8b76db661e45d58134e3a420e2c92b.bin           3-14/2012    898 

chuck

Offline charlie214

• Unit(s): 717, 898c
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 08:09:43 PM »
I just purchased a 898c si, installed and am getting the GPS est pos error 2669sm with the gps not able to connect and get a fix position.  I had a 717 that had a GPS 16, so power down, plug in the GPS16 into the 898 and got a fix position.  I thought the GPS 50 was at fault until I read that another was having same issue.  Anyone know what the resolution is ?

Offline basszilla

• Unit(s): 898c SI & 587ci & 998c HD SI
  • Software: Current
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »
Chuck I get the same file but mine still has the release date of 3/1/12

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 04:45:52 PM »
The release date never changed.  The file name did.  There is one name that was on the HB website for the 898 for a little over a week after the 1st then a different file was uploaded and a different name.  Both were the same file size.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 05:46:36 PM »
See the downloads on this forum

the first release started with 407, then HB release the second (aeb) to fix problems in the 407.

This is why HB needs to go back to a more indicative release unidentifier.

These long name file tell us nothing..
You can load the aeb from this site...

Chuck

Offline basszilla

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »
If I already downloaded and installed the other. How do I get the new file to install?

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »
the aeb replace the 407 so  just put it on a sd card and put it in your unit.

Of course follow the recommended stept to update.

turn on unit
Restore factory defaults
turn off unit.
put in sc card
turn on unit
wait until upgrade is done
restore factory defaults
turn off unit
take out sd card
turn on unit
set you own settings.

Chuck

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »
You have to revert the unit back to the 5.7 update (re-install 5.7) then install the newer named 6.180 update.

Offline basszilla

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »
Got it.  I hope it fixes that abnormal shut down that has been happening.  Installed 5.7, then reinstalled 6.180  I have three weeks with the unit and it started shutting down randomly after I did that update.  It would usually happen when I was clicking the view button.  Im going out tomorrow so ill post an update.   

Offline wolfs4evr

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 12:06:25 AM »
Mine did that on the initial 6.180 update.  I haven't been on the water with the newer/different file name but playing around in the garage a lot over the last couple weeks it hasn't shut down/re-booted yet.  Fingers crossed too.

Offline Moose1am

• Unit(s): 898c si
  • Software: 6.610
  • Accessories: SDHC 8 GB SanDisk Extreme III
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 07:56:10 PM »
Oh Great!  I wish that HB would get it together.  They need some QA to check these things out before they go online.  Perhaps they should use different file names to keep things like this from happening.  Posting the files for the 1198 on the 898 web site is bad news.  Now I have the wrong update on my unit.  That is UNEXCUSABLE IMHO.  They need to get it together with their software updates etc.
BTW my unit is shutting down or rebooting on it's own when I am pressing the view button and switching in between different screens. 

HB seems to be getting it right slowly but surely (but not completely)...  To install this different file name but still called a 6.180 update I had to revert my unit back to the 5.7 software (glad I had it saved).  Then load this one to get it to take (I called HB and that is what I was told I had to do for it to take since the update is called the same).  Anyways got all of that done and then spent a hour or so playing with it in the garage.

Main big difference for me is that my console mounted 898 will now take the bow mounted 798ci HD TM installed transducer via Ethernet.  I know for sure this works.  I snaked the transducer cord out some and laid it next to the TM power lines so I get interference and seen the same image on both units (Interference on SI)

But my 798 bow unit still won't take the 898 transom transducer via Ethernet.  The depth starts to blink when I switch over and shortly thereafter I get a pop up green window with the alert Sonar source is lost do you want to switch to local.  I tried turning on/off/on both units several times to see if that did anything and nada.  (This really doesn't matter to me now days since I mounted a transducer on the TM and have no reason to use the transom transducer anymore from up front.  For several months though I didn't have a TM mounted transducer and this would not of been good!)

Everything else seems to work.  GPS via Ethernet either way works.  Waypoints marked on one are on the other in a second, etc, etc.

update while I am typing this...

Called HB again to relay what I am seeing now and she said she knew nothing of a different release.  I relayed the two file names I have (one downloaded on 2Mar and the other downloaded 16Mar) and it ends up HB accidently uploaded/posted the 6.180 update for the 1197 into the 898 folder.  This wasn't realized for a week or so.  So anyone with a update for their 898 with a file name that starts out with 407b11..... it is WRONG.  The correct file name for the 6.180 update for the 898 starts out with ae8b7....

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:03:05 PM by Moose1am »
Regards,

Moose1am

Offline basszilla

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »
Was on the water all day today.  After the update the unit did not turn off once all day.  Reverting to 5.7, then reinstalling the new 6.180 update did the trick.  It also feels like the unit operates smoother.  Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »
Glad you got your unit straightened out basszilla.

Guys, there has been no ’fix’ for the 6.180 software that I am aware of.  There was a wrong file posted to one of the units (don’t remember if it was the 898 unit or not) which has been corrected.  If you try and load the wrong file into your unit the unit should ignore it and not load it at all.  The difference in file names came when the correct 6.180 software file was again reloaded to the web site.  Something is happening when the files get uploaded to the web site as it is renaming them.  Humminbird is trying to get this corrected but it may take time to do so.  BTW: the file name has nothing to do with your unit being able to load a software update or not.  I know this because I have renamed many file names (so they make sense to me) and have not had a problem with the unit accepting and loading them correctly.

If you have problems with a particular software update it could be due to several things one of which that the data got corrupted when downloading it to the SD memory card.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »
Or could the corruption come from loading the data into the HB unit.

We use sd cards every day (and I mean every day) and the only time I hear of corruption is with the HB part of the transfer.

Could it be that the waypoint management portion of the program has some issues?

I just dont see PC problems with sd data.

Chuck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo