Author Topic: 898 on the trolling motor  (Read 7029 times)

Offline fish225

898 on the trolling motor
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »
I have my 898 mounted on the console with the xducer on the transom and all is good.
My brush piles are out.
Now I want to move my 898 to the bow and install a SI/DI xducer  on the trolling motor.
got a few questions...
-I'll need an additional mount, transducer, and power cable...
-which cable do I need to extend the external gps to the bow?
-can anyone comment on how the SI xducer works on a trolling motor mount?
-would a different xducer be a better fit for mostly DI scanning the brush I put out?

for now I'll be moving the 898 from the console to the bow until I can afford another unit up front...

Thanks in advance...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:30:06 PM by fish225 »

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
Re: 898 on the trolling motor
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »
If you are installing another SI unit on the console you should receive the wiring needed to hook this unit up on the bow and I believe that you can purchase the unit with a trolling motor SI transducer, if so then you will have everything needed except for the in-line fuse which radio shack sells. 

I have a 16 ft boat and have an SI transducer on the transom and one on the trolling motor.  I swing my 1197 to view it from the console or from the trolling motor.  I have an HB switch to use either the Transom or the Trolling motor transducer.  It is easier then moving the unit back and forth. 

Go to -->  http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/Videos.html  <--  to review Doug's 9 part seminar one of which is about using an SI transducer on the trolling motor.  I found the whole seminar worth a watch and reinstalled my SI transducer on the trolling motor.

Again to get the most out of your unit you should watch all 9 parts, I have watched them several times.

George

Offline Bob B

• Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:01:16 PM »
George, what type of swing arm mount do you have?  Would you buy the same one again?
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »
BobB

My bracket for swinging the HB is homemade and very very basic.  IT is a flat 3/8" aluminum plate with a piece of 2" aluminum rounds stock milled out for a piece of 1/2" conduit with a set screw.  I have had this for appx. 10 years and used it a couple of different sounders, it has served me well, but I would not hesitate to purchase the commercial systems today.

I have a 16 ft aluminum boat which had 4 seats, it was made in 1973 and purchased it used.  The first thing I did was to make two casting decks forward and aft, made a console to add a steering system and added a foot controlled trolling motor on the bow (yea my 1197 is worth more then the boat).  Since moving to Oklahoma (retired) my intention is to purchase a 20 to 22 ft boat which I will deck out with HB equipment.  I will keep my small boat to get into tight areas. 

George

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:12:48 PM »
I have my 898 mounted on the console with the xducer on the transom and all is good.
My brush piles are out.
Now I want to move my 898 to the bow and install a SI/DI xducer  on the trolling motor.
got a few questions...
-I'll need an additional mount, transducer, and power cable...
-which cable do I need to extend the external gps to the bow?
-can anyone comment on how the SI xducer works on a trolling motor mount?
-would a different xducer be a better fit for mostly DI scanning the brush I put out?

for now I'll be moving the 898 from the console to the bow until I can afford another unit up front...

Thanks in advance...

fish225,
To extend the external GPS Receiver for both ‘stations’ to be able to use it you should use the AS-SysLink cable.  You would get better accuracy though with a second GPS Receiver mounted at the bow but this would be additional $$$.

I would look at Doug’s videos as well.

The 898c Si unit uses the Si sonar beams to make the Di sonar image.  So you would still have to use the HDSi transducer.  We do make a trolling motor mounted version (XTM-9-HDSi-180-T) but this is just the standard transom mounted XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transducer with an adapter.  This adapter does nothing to protect this expensive transducer but there are companies that make adapter brackets that do: Transducer Shield & Saver, Raptor, and Transducer Amour.  You may want to look at what they offer as this would help protect your transducer from stumps, rocks and other things that you may run into.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo