Author Topic: Relative-newbie starting to organizing 800+ waypoints  (Read 7579 times)

Offline steelebob

• 1994 TRACKER NITRO 160 and 4 cyl 2017 Yamaha 70 h
  • Unit(s): Helix 2nd gen 10 and 9
  • Accessories: Ulterra
Relative-newbie starting to organizing 800+ waypoints
« on: November 06, 2013, 08:12:07 AM »
I would like to do as much on the computer first but I am tech-challenged so I would like it to be as streamlined as possible. I have played around with humpc enough to get some filling for it>>if not the finer points. I've viewed my wpts on GEarth also. So how would I proceeded from there?
I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline LittleGazoo

• Unit(s): SOLIX 15 G2, SOLIX 12 G2
  • Software: 3.640
  • Accessories: Ethernet
Re: Relative-newbie starting to organizing 800+ waypoints
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »
Many ways to organize!

You have 800+ waypoints and how do you want to organize?  Are the waypoints on 1 lake or multiple lakes?
If multiple lakes, how many and do you want to organize by lake, fish type and another way?

Do you have one HB unit, two or more?

Example: 
I have two units(bow and console).  I load all my waypoints on the console since I share by Ethernet. 

Also I have Tracks and since Tracks are not shareable, I load my Tracks on console or bow if the track type belongs.

My basic organization is By Lake.

Offline steelebob

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
I fish about 20 lakes. Let's say I want to organize by lakes and season. I have two 898c units(bow and console).  I load all my waypoints on both and have a Y? cable to share info, since I didn't know better. I've been making points on anything that looks interesting, often using them as tracks. I think I only have 5 actual tracks and have done nothing with them. I have not changed anything except deleting points that are obviously useless.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:53:35 AM by steelebob »

Offline steelebob

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 07:05:06 AM »
A bit about me and my situation. I'm a retire 65 guy who loves to fish. I think about fishing now about as much as I did about sex when I was 15. Until four years ago I was an on the bank and stream and river fisherman, for steelhead in NY and landlock salmon and brook trout in Maine. When I moved to New Hampshire I bought a bass boat. I now have discovered the shear rush of top water fishing on a "small" river for stripers ( 10 to 25 pounders) in Maine.
 My problem is that I have a hard time understanding what I read without someone giving examples or analogies.
 Frankly the fishing here in New Hampshire is not the easier thing to do. It's mostly a smallmouth fishery, with a lot of very clear deep lakes. And only in the last couple of years have I felt a bit confident, but that is only in the spring and only on a couple of lakes so far. About 40% of my time on the water I spent exploring new lakes. Mainly looking for abrupt changes in water depth, changes of on shore conditions, areas of weed growth, and bottom structure. My waypoints consist mostly of this info, the others being where I've caught fish, which has been difficult. I've even hired a guide a couple of time to get a better handle on my techniques and to learn more about a couple of lakes.
 My next project will be to learn how to use HumViewer.
Just found this on utube, "Using Humminbird PC and Google Earth to organize Waypoints" by Michael Murphy, and like how easy it is. Now what would some options for the next step. I'm looking for something beyond organization for it sake only>>> although I know the value of that. I want to be able to use organizing, for practical "on the water knowledge". I also have the "cable" to hook up to a battery in my house for my unit.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:39:11 AM by steelebob »

Offline LittleGazoo

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »
Also posted posted under your other thread:
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=6586.msg38974;topicseen#new

I would use ReefMaster software and its Region-Select features.

Use Region-Select under Global View to draw a box around all waypoints on a lake, area, etc, then write to Humminbird SD-card MATRIX folder(my preference) or write out as another GPX file.  Then download the MATRIX or open the new GPX back into HBPC.

ReefMaster comes in PRO, LITE or free versions.  I use LITE.  The FREE would probable do this.
http://www.reefmaster.com.au/

Reefmaster has forum on this site and its own site.

Offline steelebob

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »
How do the "folders" you make in HPC for individual lakes suppose to show up when you put the card back into the unit. Say you put data for several lakes on your card. Are you suppose to see the individual the wpts for one lake separate from other lakes or not. Or do you just set up groups when on the unit itself?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:36:24 PM by steelebob »

Offline LittleGazoo

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »
How dare the "folders" you make in HPC for individual lakes suppose to show up when you put the card back into the unit. Say you put data for several lakes on your card. Are you suppose to see the individual the wpts for one lake separate from other lakes or not. Or do you just set up groups when on the unit itself?
Viewing a Navigation Screen waypoints will appear the same whether Groups or non-Group.  Unless you Edit a Group and make it non-visible, then its waypoints will not appear on a Navigation Screen(unless you cursor over one(I consider this a bug)).

Groups will show up on the unit under the <menu><menu>,select Nav Tab, select Waypoints, Routes and Tracks.
If you sort by Icon, Groups will sort to the top.
Select a Group, select Open to see data in a Group(which can be WP, Tracks, Routes, other Groups).

You can create Groups in HumminbirdPC or on the unit.  I prefer to use HumminbirdPC.

FYI: I use Groups and find them useful, but you will need to be more careful.

WARNING: ALWAYS Perform a Save As ... on your GPX file and work with the new copy when doing any major work with Groups.
I have found that Copying or Moving Groups inside a GPX to not always work.

Offline steelebob

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »
I'm trying to wrap my head around the "end game" of having organized wpts, when your out on the water.
 Also, how do you keep wpts organized once you start adding future wpts. to ones you have already organized? I've seen references to a "home folder"... How often should you update that organization...

Offline LittleGazoo

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »
I'm trying to wrap my head around the "end game" of having organized wpts, when your out on the water.
 Also, how do you keep wpts organized once you start adding future wpts. to ones you have already organized? I've seen references to a "home folder"... How often should you update that organization...

Here's a simple HumminbirdPC tutorial covering a little HBPC usage, structure and groups:
HumminbirdPC

Offline steelebob

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 05:59:03 PM »
I'll have to view it a few time for it to soak in, but on my first viewing I kept asking myself from half way through to the end of the presentation>> WHY and When would I use this. Sorry for being dense.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:04:13 PM by steelebob »

Offline LittleGazoo

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 10:41:06 PM »
I'll have to view it a few time for it to soak in, but on my first viewing I kept asking myself from half way through to the end of the presentation>> WHY and When would I use this. Sorry for being dense.

You absolutely do not need to ever use Groups in organizing.

I do recommend organizing by lake(or some other criteria) to avoid having 1000+ waypoints.  I think that it's too many eggs in one basket.

My basic organization is by lake per GPX file with its waypoints maybe designating the lake.
Example:
  Lake Fork, TX is in a HBPC file named FORK_Console_yymmdda.GPX, with a HOME/FORK group containing all the waypoints, routes, tracks for Lake Fork and its waypoints might be named LFxxxxxxxnn.
  LF=Lake Fork, xxxxxx=Dike, Ledge, Pond,Brshpil, nnn=01,02,03 . . .

All this would allow me to create a new "COMBO.GPX" and copy&paste the Falcon group and Amistad group, etc from their GPX to create a combination GPX when I go on the road to the Rio Grande.

Simple is most likely best.

But I do put third-party products in their own Group:
  Lance Vick's Boatlanes ==> BOATLANES group
  Martin's GpsLakeMaps  ==> GPSLAKEMAPS group

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:51:36 PM by LittleGazoo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo