Author Topic: Matrix 97 Software Upgrade and Waypoint Management  (Read 7938 times)

Offline bigterp

• Unit(s): Matrix 97
  • Software: 3.200
  • Accessories: None
Matrix 97 Software Upgrade and Waypoint Management
« on: May 11, 2016, 04:26:22 PM »
I posted this in the Matrix subsection, but there hasn't been a post in that section since March of 2015. Figured I might get more answers here.

I recently purchased a new to me Matrix 97 from a friend. It currently has software version 3.200. I have registered the unit on Humminbird.com and downloaded the latest software which is version 4.750. Can I update from the old version right to 4.750? I'm sure there were many software updates between 3.200 and 4.750, just want to make sure I can make the jump without any issues. Also, I can do this by SD card, correct? I do not have the PC cable so updating by SD card would be ideal.

My next question is in regards to waypoint management. I know my unit currently does not have this function, at least I did not see it, but will I get this function with the 4.750 update? I want to be able to save all waypoints, tracks and routes directly from the unit to my SD card. Is this possible with the Matrix 97, or will I need the PC cable to do this? I already have the HumminbirdPC software downloaded to my laptop, so I'm ready to go. Just need to figure out how to get my waypoints from the unit itself to my PC.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Matrix 97 Software Upgrade and Waypoint Management
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 11:13:04 PM »
The Matrix operations manual states the unit must be updated with the PC connect kit ...

http://www.humminbird.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2844

You could verify this with HB to be sure ... 1-800-633-1468
-----

Any software version includes all previous updates ...so skipping updates is no problem ... 
-----

You should have the option to "Export all Waypoints" under the Setup tab in the older software version ...

Waypoint management is the on-board waypoint management tool ... Humminbird PC is still easier ...

Rickie 

Offline bigterp

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 08:19:06 AM »
Thanks.

I got a hold of a standard SD card 2GB in size last night. I formatted it and attempted to save all the waypoints under the menu tab "export all waypoints" as you described. But kept getting the error "export to mmc/sd card has failed". Tried formatting the card under different settings (.fat, .fat32, etc.) Still a no go. I set the unit back to default settings and attempted to load the 4.750 software using the SD card but nothing. I tried powering the unit off, inserting the SD card and powering it back on hoping it would recognize the card and the new software but it did not. Tried several different ways to get the unit to recognize my SD card with the updated software on it and with it empty for waypoint saving, but could not get it to work. Hoping it is an SD card issue and not a card reader issue. Upon inspection the card reader looks pristine, I do not believe it was ever used. Going to try to find a 1GB card and attempt to export my waypoints to it. I've done some reading an apparently the older software prefers smaller SD cards. So, hopefully that's the problem. Small standard SD cards are hard to come by nowadays though!! I'll also give HB a call today and see what they recommend.

Any good sources for the PC Connect Cable? I see there are 2 different kinds. Which one works with the Matrix 97?

Thanks again for the help!!!

Offline bigterp

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »
Got a hold of Humminbird this morning and the recommended trying to update the unit with the PC connect cable. Not sure what else to do other than purchase the cable. Also found out the 2 different types of cable are just different connections. One uses a serial connection the other a USB. So both will work with my unit. If I can get my hands on a 1GB SD card, I'll give that a try first. If not, I'll have to get the cable.

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
  • Unit(s): 899CI SI HD,1199SI HD, Helix 12 SI GEN3
  • Software: current
  • Accessories: ALL, and a HW ducer for the Helix 12 2D
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »
Got a hold of Humminbird this morning and the recommended trying to update the unit with the PC connect cable. Not sure what else to do other than purchase the cable. Also found out the 2 different types of cable are just different connections. One uses a serial connection the other a USB. So both will work with my unit. If I can get my hands on a 1GB SD card, I'll give that a try first. If not, I'll have to get the cable.

MR Bigterp,

I had a Matrix 97 I sold last month but  and I still have the PC  connect cables you are looking for I will sell you cheap. I did what you want to do with my Matrix 97. Most computers don't have the serial port connection anymore  and only have USB ports.  So I got a USB to serial  converter cord that adapts to the Humminbird PC serial  connect cable. this is what you need to do what your are trying to do.I tried to do what you are doing and it did NOT work, but when I did the upgrade with the PC connect cord,to 4.75....I upgraded my former Matrix 97 to 4.75 perfectly. Get a hold of me at fishreed@aol.com.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:32:22 PM by fishreed »

Offline bigterp

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
MR Bigterp,

I had a Matrix 97 I sold last month but  and I still have the PC  connect cables you are looking for I will sell you cheap. I did what you want to do with my Matrix 97. Most computers don't have the parallel port connection anymore  and only have USB ports.  So I got a USB to parallel converter cord that adapts to the Humminbird PC connect cable. this is what you need to do what your are trying to do.I tried to do what you are doing and it did NOT work, but when I did the upgrade with the PC connect cord....I upgraded my former Matrix 97 to 4.75 perfectly. get a hold of me at fishreed@aol.com.

Awesome. Thanks!! I'm shooting you an email now.

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
  • Unit(s): 899CI SI HD,1199SI HD, Helix 12 SI GEN3
  • Software: current
  • Accessories: ALL, and a HW ducer for the Helix 12 2D
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 12:44:46 PM »
fishreed@aol.com    I didn't get it yet but don't put a period at the end of com    I got a picture of the 2 cords but they are too big to post here.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:45:59 PM by fishreed »

Offline bigterp

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 08:44:07 AM »
Got a hold of a 64MB SD card last night and it worked perfectly!! Was able to save all of the waypoints, tracks and routes to the SD card and was also able to update the Matrix 97 software to the latest version. SD card size obviously had something to do with it. Thanks for all the help!! And especially Fishreed for working out a deal on the PC Connect Cable with me, even though I ended up not needing it.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 11:02:36 PM »
Got a hold of a 64MB SD card last night and it worked perfectly!! Was able to save all of the waypoints, tracks and routes to the SD card and was also able to update the Matrix 97 software to the latest version. SD card size obviously had something to do with it. Thanks for all the help!! And especially Fishreed for working out a deal on the PC Connect Cable with me, even though I ended up not needing it.

Well now ... This is interesting ... The manual states nothing about being able to update the Matrix with an SD Card ...

I'll have to make a note ...

Thanks for posting your results ...

Rickie

Doc Stressor

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 05:24:01 PM »
I was able to update my Matrix 97 from an SD card also. The 4.750 file seems to have an autorun function that automatically loads the update from a card.

I wish that I had seen this thread earlier or I could have given you the same advice to try to use a smaller SD card. They didn't have high capacity cards when the 97 was designed. I had the same issue with mine before I figured it out.

Offline flamesay

• Unit(s): matrix 97
  • Accessories: Combo
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 07:22:46 AM »
I have the 2450 version and I have no option to export or import waypoints from SD. If I update the firmware option that will appear?

Where I can download the latest version?

Doc Stressor

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 09:50:44 AM »
If you register your unit on the Humminbird website you will be able to download 4.750.

Offline flamesay

• Unit(s): matrix 97
  • Accessories: Combo
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 10:00:23 AM »
I have registered but when I insert my SN tells me it's wrong
my SN is 40308010008

Doc Stressor

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 02:07:28 PM »
Give Humminbird a call.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 08:53:48 PM »
Here is contact info for international ...

http://www.johnsonoutdoors.com/Main.aspx?id=127

Rickie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo