Side Imaging Forums > Solix

Solix position accuracy

<< < (3/3)

Diesel Pro:
From another site:

FishinLite:
DP Low and High are subjective measures. Accuracy and Repeat-ability are objective measure that can be quantified by hard physical numbers. 

HB is making and selling consumer quality equipment, not high end GPS base surveying equipment. 

As a fishing consumer, I am happy with the ability to mark a way-point and get myself back to within 25 ft of where I was when I marked it. My HB 360 imaging can then display the lake bottom and I can locate the brush pile, big rock, weed edge, weed hole or other bottom structure where fish MAYBE hiding.

If you want something better than that, then you need to open your wallet and let out something closer to $4000 for a GPS only to get a surveyor quality GPS unit. HB units be they Solix or Helix  are more than GPS unit. They are Sonar, GPS, Imaging Systems with memory,  computer operating systems, networking and mass storage interfaces.

I maybe old and dusty, but I remember when a fish finders had spinning wheels and flashing lights and sold for the equivalent of what a Solix sell for today. 

My expectations are probably lower than your. Digital technology and Micro processors have changed the world. I

spent 50 years implementing that technology in manufacturing environments.

The one thing that will never change is that you get what you pay for.

If a large share of the market demands more accuracy and the government will allow more accuracy.

But that is not the direction I think HB and others are going.  Quality imaging appears to be the thought for the day.  :)     

rnvinc:
HB GPS is spec-ed at 2.5 meters 95% of the time  ...

https://www.humminbird.com/Category/Technology/GPS/

This is about average for GPS at this price point  ...

Heading in the AS GPS HS antenna is a completely different function than GPS  ...

*GPS uses data collected from the Earth's orbiting satellites to calculate "position on the Earth"  ...

*Heading is a calculation "Offset" from magnetic North - sensed from the built in electronic compass to calculate boat "orientation on the Earth"  ...

Rickie

TroyBoy30:
ive got 2 humminbird heading sensors that i only use for gps.  for heading i use an airmar h2183 on nmea 2000

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version