Author Topic: Update 898 to version 6.570 Accessoiry test No GPS  (Read 29291 times)

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
Re: Update 898 to version 6.570 Accessoiry test No GPS
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »
When a unit is returned to HB for repair HB repair makes money $$.
End of story.
Roddy

The above statement is false.
My unit was returned to Humminbird out of warranty.
Humminbird didn't make a dime.

Everyone agrees that Humminbird should test the updates better.
If a unit needs repair because of an update that had errors, then
I think there should be no charge for that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:28:59 PM by ITGEEK »

Offline strawdg

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2013, 04:13:42 PM »
Navionic--

Interesting link..... It shows that fixing failed update DOES indeed carry a charge from HB of 70 USD plus shipping. One does now begin to wonder WHY bootstrapping was removed as an option.... follow the money as it were....

I can now see people insisting that HB allow them to return units to service to have updates done under factory responsibility BEFORE they invest $2000 in things like 360 to work with units in the field.

They are going to have to offer something very tempting before I try to update MY unit in the future.

If I have a warranty issue then they will receive my unit with whatever firmware version is on it, they can do the update. If they request I update for troubleshooting, they can provide proof in writing that they take responsibility for the update possibly failing.

It is beginning to look like I may have just bought a simple fish-finder instead of the upgradable computer I thought I was buying....

Checking the return policy of my reseller now.... (think I may be 1 or 2 days past....).

Thanks for that link.

Remember this whole thread was started by a local dealer in the Netherlands, who was very familiar with updates, that was trying to add features he had paid for.....

He tried to apply an update that by many accounts on many forums is buggy but was pushed to sell new hardware...

Tried to roll back.....

Now the unit is bricked with no options but to send it somewhere else.

If that unit belongs to one of his customers he is quite likely on the hook for a replacement.

Straw
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:55:17 PM by strawdg »

Offline navionic

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »
Remember this whole thread was started by a local dealer in the Netherlands, who was very familiar with updates, that was trying to add features he had paid for.....
Straw
Straw--
This is not an isolated case. Raise your search at least in this forum. I am also familiar with the firmware update. Nevertheless turned his unit into a brick. I applied to many international service centers. All  refused. Referring to the fact that they have no technology to reprogram the chip. Restore such a device can only Eufaula

Offline guidoste

• Unit(s): 898;998;1198
  • Software: 6.570
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »
In the past I fixed a lot of units no service centre was able to fix them. It is no problem to reprogram this unit myself. But then there is no warranty anymore on this new unit. And at last but not at least, reprogramming the unit is against the copyrights of Humminbird!

Normally Humminbird has a great service, in the 8 years we sell Humminbird every unit has been repaired under warranty conditions even if they were older then 2 years.

Technautic (Distributor of The Netherlands) is going to send me a new unit. This is called SERVICE!!!

Guido Steijaert
Ribbink Nautic

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »
So you are saying that because a Customer failed to provide a stable power source to the unit while it was updating the software that we should fix it for free?  These types or repairs often involve the replacement of a memory device on the PCB.  If it is one of the newer models than this means a BGA type device has to be replaced – this is something that cannot be done by hand by us humans and requires a specific and expensive piece of equipment to do so.  This does not always happen without damage to the PCB which would mean the replacement of the PCB itself.  This all costs the company money which needs to be recouped from somewhere – like the person who caused the failure.

Daily we work on many units under warranty.  That means that we do not charge anything for the services we provided.  $0.  Zero dollars. 

Don’t forget that the bootstrap mode was not a catch-all.  It does not work all of the time.

Now don’t get me wrong here; I would really like for us to have a way for any of our units to recover from a bad software update or if it just lost its mind.  Whatever form this took would have to be 100% bullet-proof which means it would work in all circumstances.  Maybe the solution is to ship each unit with a root-boot memory card or have one available for purchase for a minimal charge.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline navionic

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
Greg =>
You just need to restore the ability to flash the bootloader like old units. If unsuccessful reprogramming (even during power loss) is always possible to enter a mode reload (Power+ View) and  reload device through the program HummPC
Now devices on Linux do not have this opportunity. So true that opportunity! Via a flash drive SD or through a re-flash program HummPC. Why these senseless talk who is right and who is wrong. Service in Europe will not be. It is already clear. Then do this for the sake of his loyal customers who overpaid for the European version of the fantastic pieces of money.

Offline guidoste

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »
Greg,

Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy with the service of Humminbird! I was the one who made a mistake with this particular unit. My fingers were faster then my mind. There was an older version of the software on the SD-card instead of pressing No, I pressed yes.

We both agree that if there is a solution with a kind of root-boot memory, no problem to pay for such a solution! I'm the first one who is going to buy.

In the Netherlands we are one of the biggest resellers. About your quote: "So you are saying that because a Customer failed to provide a stable power source to the unit while it was updating the software that we should fix it for free?" Service is very important for the product. Humminbird is loosing market in The Netherlands Lowrance is comming-up fast. When I'm able to promote Humminbird by giving good service, it is important to me. But I agree not everytime a customer makes a failure, it has to repaired for free.

Another easy solution could be to program in the lowest version a unit is is able to work with. So is the unit is not able to work with version lower then 5.180. And I want to update with 4.880. The unit simpy says: "Sorry not allowed!" and doesn't update.

Have a nice weekend.

Guido

Offline navionic

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
Another easy solution could be to program in the lowest version a unit is is able to work with. So is the unit is not able to work with version lower then 5.180. And I want to update with 4.880. The unit simpy says: "Sorry not allowed!" and doesn't update.
Guido
A good idea. But this has not yet met. Not for Garmin navigators and mobile phones. Although there can also be obtained bricks sometimes while rolling back to the old firmware.

Offline strawdg

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »
So you are saying that because a Customer failed to provide a stable power source to the unit while it was updating the software that we should fix it for free?

Greg--
No..... No...... No...... Anyone who would think that is not in touch with reality ....

These types or repairs often involve the replacement of a memory device on the PCB.

The key word here is "Often" as in not always..... So bootstrapping becomes a viable option, even if in only a few cases...

Don’t forget that the bootstrap mode was not a catch-all.  It does not work all of the time.

Quite true and all should realize it as such..... But it is a tool that as a last ditch effort, could possibly save the day....  ::)

Now don’t get me wrong here; I would really like for us to have a way for any of our units to recover from a bad software update or if it just lost its mind.  Whatever form this took would have to be 100% bullet-proof which means it would work in all circumstances.

No way..... 100% bullet proof????? That ain't ever going to happen..... HB's corporate lawyers probably wouldn't even respond to such a proposal ....... after they quit rolling on the floor laughing...:o We all might as well expect to see a bunch of honest politicians..... :-[

Straw

Offline Rüdiger

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2013, 03:28:39 AM »
Normally Humminbird has a great service, in the 8 years we sell Humminbird every unit has been repaired under warranty conditions even if they were older then 2 years.

Technautic (Distributor of The Netherlands) is going to send me a new unit. This is called SERVICE!!!

Guido Steijaert
Ribbink Nautic

Hi Guido

I can absolutely not confirm such a great service.
Fortunately for you in the Netherlands, for Germany is unfortunately Allroundmarin  Vienna responsible and I am waiting now for 134 days on my unit.

mvh
Rüdiger
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:31:41 AM by Rüdiger »

Offline guidoste

« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2013, 04:02:31 AM »
As I mentioned before in this topic : "We are able to do a lot of things for our customers. With our experience mostly I don't need Humminbird. Our company (Ribbink Nautic) would like to become Humminbird Servicecenter in Europe. To be clear, servicecenter is not the same as distributor!"

Problems should be solved within 10 working days maximum!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo