Author Topic: Lost GPS Connection  (Read 3807 times)

Offline bcarter

• Unit(s): 998c SI HD
  • Software: Factory
Lost GPS Connection
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:59:40 AM »
I looked for a previous thread on this problem but didn't see one.  I have a 998c SI HD that was professionally installed on my bay boat one year ago.  Until recently the unit has worked great, no problems.  Now I get a screen message "No GPS connection" about 15 minutes after turning the unit on.  I've fished 3 times since this first happened and the GPS appears to reconnect briefly every once in a while after the initial message.  A few times the receiver appeared to reconnect but there was a message "No GPS Fix".  I'm thinking either a corroded connection somewhere or I need to replace my receiver.  Since I didn't install myself (and this is my first unit with external GPS receiver), I'm not familiar with how everything is set up.

The puck is mounted on the center console dash and all wires going to the unit are coiled underneath.  I've unplugged and reconnected the unit several times but the result is the same.  My request is your suggestion on where to go next. 

Are there connections between the puck and the unit I can check?  Access beneath the console pretty much sucks in my boat.  If there's nothing to check I don't want to waste time cutting zip ties and undoing a bunch of stuff for nothing.

Are there connections inside the puck I need to check?  Or should I start looking for a replacement GPS receiver and cable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:05:38 AM by bcarter »

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Lost GPS Connection
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »
You might try bending the pins in the GPS connector end "Slightly"...

While watching the "Accessories Test" screen...does wiggling the GPS connector cause an intermitant connection...??

Is there anyone close to you that has a SI unit you can test on your boat to test the GPS puck...??

Rickie

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Lost GPS Connection
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »
Not knowing how things are connected to your unit throws a few questions into the mix here as there could be an additional AS-YC cable between the GPS Receiver connector and the unit itself.  You did not state whether you had a second unit connected to your 998 unit or if there was some accessories connected to it.

I would start by making sure that there is a connector collector being used to hold all of the plugs to the rear of the unit.  This is a plastic piece that all of the connectors fit into and gets screwed to the rear of the unit.

I would next unplug the connector collector from the unit and see if the connector that plugs into the GPS/Communications port on your 998 unit has four or six gold pins in it. 
 - If it has six than there is an AS-YC plugged in.  I would unplug this and plug the GPS Receiver directly into the unit to see if the problem is an intermittent connection in the AS-YC cable. 
 - If it has four gold pins than I would try testing your 998 unit on someone else’s boat to make sure there is not something intermittent with your unit.  If there is not I would contact Humminbird about replacing the GPS Receiver.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo