General > Articles and Tutorials

DIY NMEA Cable for Live GPS/Depth Data to PC or Laptop

<< < (2/5) > >>

legend:
Hi jolly Roger
I can't see the pictures of connections.What's up??

Jolly Roger:
Scandal and sabotage!
Looks like I screwed up with the picture settings. I' hope it's fixed now.
Thanks for your hint Legend!
Regards / Harry

Humminbird_Greg:
Nice post Harry!

Actually guys depending on the formulation of the “solder fat” (or “flux” as we call here in the U.S.A.) will depend on whether you even need to clean it.  If it is of the “no-clean” variety than no cleaning is needed as this is a very mild type flux and is not supposed to attack the solder connection.  The wires you are soldering to should be pretty clean and so you would not need an aggressive type flux such as an RA flux (which will attack the solder connection).  But at the same time it certainly would not hurt to clean the wires afterwards as you would also get some cleaner on the wire insulation which could clean off oils from your skin (fingers) which would help the tape stick.  I would recommend some isopropyl alcohol (higher alcohol percentage the better) as it will not react with the wire insulation.  You might also consider using some of the sealing type wire heat shrink as this would give a waterproof connection.

Sorry guys but I’ve been performing soldering training for the last two weeks here and so had to show off my J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610 training!
[These are international soldering standards.]

Jolly Roger:
Thanks for your input and explanation Greg!
Sometimes I don't find the right technical terms in English and this will help to understand some of the weirdo stuff I wrote above.

If I understand this right, you are a soldering trainer?
Hm, I think I know where I'll send my cables for soldering in the future  ;D.

Thanks again Greg!
Harry

benamen:
Hey Greg,
Did you get your qualifications through Humminbird or possibly the military?
I have a couple of brothers with the same qualifications that they obtained through the CDN Armed Forces (F18 techs).

Ben

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version