Side Imaging Forums > 898c SI

898 si - External GPS Antenna Issues

<< < (2/8) > >>

Humminbird_Greg:
Is the problem you have that there is in fact a problem in the cable of your GPS Receiver or is it that this puts tension on the connector and does not allow it to remain fully plugged in?

If it is the cable than all you would have to do is replace the GPS Receiver and the problem should go away.

deerhuntenfool:
I believe the cable itself is the problem.  My antenna sits on the dash, the cable goes thru the dash and then back out the front to the unit.  The cables from the transducers and the GPS cable run to the connector plate that plugs into the back of the unit and held in place by a thumb screw.

I don't see how there is any way that the plug-in can work loose and have not had any issues with the other cables.  The only way I have been able to get the GPS to work is to release the extra gps cable and let it swing freely and loosely under the dash.  Which, I don't understand why, but it works in rough water and running wide open, which it never would do when the cable was securely bundled and held in place with enough slack to fit the unit location.

I have to believe that coiling the extra GPS cable in a bundle is the cause of my problem.  Does HB have a short GPS cable?  All I need is 3-feet.

Humminbird_Greg:
No, the 20 foot cable is all that we have.  if you knew where the problem is you could cut out the bad area and splice the wires back together.  Otherwise you would need to get the GPS Receiver replaced (the cable is epoxied to the lower GPS housing).  If you crimped the wires at a sharp angle or somehow smashed the cable, this could have damaged the internal wiring and caused this problem.

deerhuntenfool:
I don't believe the cable is damaged.  If it was then hanging loose and subject to being swung around under the dash would cause the damage to the cable to interrupt the signal.  This doesn't happen.  It is only when the cable is bundled and secured under the dash that the issue occurred .

Can the coiled cable create an electrical interference or an electromagnetic field that adversely effects the GPS signal causing the unit to loose the GPS service and/or the unit to shutdown?  This happens with other communication cables.

I have had this problem since the unit was installed.  The obvious possible problems have been explored and told there is nothing wrong.  My dealer has taken my boat out and verified the unit malfunction.  There is something wrong here and all the obvious opinions have been explored.  HB needs to explore the not-so-obvious and come up with a solution.

Humminbird_Greg:
We have had no reports of the GPS Receivers or their cables causing any type of RF interference.  If they did, than counter-coiling (wrap the cable is a figure 8 and fold it over on itself) them would alleviate this.

We have had reports of other electronic devices interfering with our equipment but I don’t remember anything besides a VHF radio causing interference with the GPS.  Do you have a VHF radio installed anywhere near where the GPS wires were coiled?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version