Author Topic: Multiple Units  (Read 5088 times)

Offline radeleur

• Wacky-worm for the win
  • Chasin dem der Oklahoma flyin fish!!
  • Unit(s): 898c, Old 200DX (was given to me)
  • Accessories: WeatherSense
Multiple Units
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »
OK here goes...

I want to have the 1198 at the console, put another unit dash mounted prolly the 798 and have my 898 at the front console and still use WeatherSense and XM Weather.

I plan to use the 798 (or another model) as a map during runs (so I don't have to take my focus away from operating the boat) and then have the XM Weather set to a quick access button.

I currently have and 898 at the console with WeatherSense and a L unit at the front (being replaced winter/spring.

What do yall think?
Rudy Project Pro Staff
J.J.'s Magic Pro Staff and local distributor.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Multiple Units
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:34:34 AM »
My thoughts:
If you are only going to use the 798 at the console to display GPS data when making a run; why use a 798 unit for this?  You could save money by buying a less expensive unit that has GPS capability.  If you want it to be linked to any other unit I would look at an Ethernet capable unit such as the 788c HD.

What units do you want linked and what information do you want to be able to share between them?  You mentioned being able to use WeatherSense and XM Weather; would this be on more than one unit at a time?

I see where you are a Rudy Project Pro Staffer.  I and one of my Sons wear RP’s with the prescription inserts.  Which lens color do you recommend for fishing?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:36:51 AM by Humminbird_Greg »
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline radeleur

• Wacky-worm for the win
  • Chasin dem der Oklahoma flyin fish!!
  • Unit(s): 898c, Old 200DX (was given to me)
  • Accessories: WeatherSense
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 04:35:10 PM »
Hey Greg,

I was, at least thinking, about using the 798 (or whatever) to display my map when running so I wouldn't have to divert my attention to the side as well as use it for the XM Weather functions such as being able to leave it showing the weather when not actively running. Plus get rid of a non-functional flasher so whatever unit will be flush mounted/In-dash mounted....or maybe put a radio in there instead...still thinking about this option.

Ideally, I'd like to have all function at all the Units, i.e XM Weather, WeatherSense

As for your question regarding Rudy Project lenses color...it really depends on what you're wanting ie, sight fishing or general UV blocking and wear

I am a firm believer in the ImpactX PhotoPolarized Brown. The Polar 3fx Grey Laser or Brown Laser lenses are also wonderful lenses. The Polar 3fx Racing Red are a good contrast lens with a 22% light transmission. I really like the ImpactX PhotoPolarized Brown because it adjusts to the different light conditions I will facing when out fishing. Plus, I never know when I am gonna set the hook at have to dodge an incoming tungsten weight or something else. If you have any other question feel free to ask.

P.S. Also sent you a private message.
Rudy Project Pro Staff
J.J.'s Magic Pro Staff and local distributor.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:33:25 PM »
Thanks radeleur,
I replied to your pm before reading this post – so just disregard my message.  I’ve got the Polar3fx Gray lenses now and may look into the PhotoPolarized Brown lenses when I have to change my prescription yet again (this is getting to be an every year occurrence).  I also have the Yellow lenses for rain and fog conditions.  I may have to look into something for snow sport use as my some with the RP’s is out West.  Nice to be able to just pop out one lens color and install another!

The 798ci HD Si unit will do what you want at the console but for high-speed depth readings you may have to go with an additional inside-the-hull XP-9-20 transducer and AS-Si-DB-Y cable (all depending on where/how you mount the Compact Side Imaging transducer for the 798 unit).  The XM Weather and WeatherSense will also work with it.

The cabled Ethernet connection will not allow the sharing of the XM Weather or WeatherSense data at this time.  I don’t know if this will change later on or not.  I just know that it is not possible to do so over the Ethernet at this time.  So you may have to put both on one unit or split them up as you see fit.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo