Author Topic: 798ci SI Transducer Question  (Read 9025 times)

Offline Wall-E-Baiter

• Unit(s): 798ci SI
  • Software: 4.7
  • Accessories: TG/TSI-6
798ci SI Transducer Question
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:37:52 AM »
I just purchased a 798ci. I have 2 HB Wide Vision units that have been my workhorses for years. I have removed all the Wide Vision xducers on my boat and replaced with the dual beam SI xducer. My question is can I keep one of the Wide Vision units and use it for a backup, should misfortune meet my 798ci. If so can I use the SI xducer with the Wide Vision without cause any harm to the SI xducer? I realize that the old Wide only uses a 4 pin xducer and the SI uses 5 pins. I also realize, I assume, that I will get no added features on the Wide, it's just that the Wide used the same 200/83 dual beam technology without the 455 side scan. HB really needs to work on their site when it comes to xducer to Unit head compatibility. This should be a slam dunk for a site manager to create a working reliable matrix for this issue. While I'm asking questions on xducers, what effect would be achievable using my old Wide side scan transducer(WT-WS) with the 798ci? :P

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 798ci SI Transducer Question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »
Those old Wide Vision units used the DHS-W transducers (200/455kHz – the Wide units did not make use of the 200/83kHz technology we use now).  If you connect one to your Wide Vision units to the CSi transducer of your 798c Si unit you should still be able to get the downwards pointing 200kHz sonar but the 455kHz will be showing whatever it can get from the Left Si element.  Not sure what it will show but it should show something!  You will need to keep one of the connector collector parts as the Wide series and 700 series units used one different connector which means they have to use a different connector holder part.

Connecting a Wide Vision to the CSi transducer (or vice-versa) should not cause damage to the transducer.

“HB really needs to work on their site when it comes to xducer to Unit head compatibility. This should be a slam dunk for a site manager to create a working reliable matrix for this issue.”
I agree that we should have more usable information on our web site but having made two different Unit – Transducer matrixes it would be pretty complicated and quite large.  We have produced at least 230 different models and over 110 different transducers that I know of since I started here back in 1982… and I probably missed a few!  That is a lot of information to pack into a matrix considering there are transducers that will partially work with some units (like the CSi transducers with the Wide Vision or the WideSide and 798 unit).  It can get pretty complicated...

The 798c Si does not support use of the WideSide transducer but the 24 degree 200kHz sonar of this older transducer should work fine.  Again since it does not support the Wide Side transducer (does not have the WideSide View or related menus) it will still make an electrical connection to the WideSide transducer’s side beams and attempt to show whatever sonar data it receives in the Si beam Views just like it was the standard CSi transducer that comes with the 798 unit.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Wall-E-Baiter

• Unit(s): 798ci SI
  • Software: 4.7
  • Accessories: TG/TSI-6
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »
Thanks Greg

As I never had any issues with the old Wide Vision I'm hoping the same is true of my new 798. Thought it prudent to ask, although I felt it might be alright, but best to ask and not be sorry. Again thanks.

Jeff

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 03:27:48 PM »
You will need to keep one of the connector collector parts as the Wide series and 700 series units used one different connector which means they have to use a different connector holder part.

Wall-E,

I got around this issue with my 400TX and 300TX.  On those models, and suspect your Wide Vision, the particular connector is not used.   On mine, you could see there were no pins.  I clipped the connector off flush.  While I was prepared to epoxy any opening into the unit, it was just solid plastic.   
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »
Good idea FuzzyGrub,
Although I do not condone the torturing of Humminbird’s,  ::) this connector is not used by the Wide Vision unit and could be ‘treated’ in the same manner.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo