Side Imaging Forums > What is Side Imaging Technology?

HB Greg, sonar cycles, pixels, chart and boat speed

(1/2) > >>

promapper:
Greg

I started a new topic here as i thought I was getting off topic in another thread.

Can you describe what a 'transmit/receive cycle' consists of?

Also, how does this cycle relate to the pixel rows or columns being displayed?  And how does chart speed or boat speed relate to the cycles?  I assume the cycles are somewhat consistent in time???

I also note a lot of posts say the best detail is with a boat speed of from 2 to 4 mph.  Is that just because of the motors in use?  It is easy if running a trolling motor to match a boat and chart speed of 1 which I would think would give you the best resolution or have you reach a point of diminishing return meaning the detail is only as good as the least of all the variables?

Greg G

Thanks

Humminbird_Greg:
Greg,
When the unit transmits, it does not transmit just one cycle of sonar energy; it transmits a burst of sonar energy than it listens.  Depending on how deep the water is will depend on how long this burst of energy is.  How often it has to update the display will help determine how many of these transmit/receive cycles it can perform.  That is why the most detailed images come from a slower moving boat.

The best detail will come at slower boat speeds due to the limitations of how often the unit can transmit/receive.  There are some on this board who get very good detail from a boat moving at less than 1 mph and many more that get good detail up to almost 10 mph (this is usually more dependent on transducer installation and how the water flows off the boat hull).  The detail will be only as good as the least of the variables which could include the display you are viewing them on (and in my case: the strength of my bifocals!).

rnvinc:
Well...I learn something every day....

It was much easier to explain when I thought it was 1 sound pulse "ping" per cycle...

Now I get to explain it as a "burst" of sound energy....(that does sound cooler...lol...)

Rickie

promapper:
Good info.  Thanks!

Humminbird_Greg:

--- Quote from: rnvinc on June 03, 2013, 05:59:36 PM ---Well...I learn something every day....

It was much easier to explain when I thought it was 1 sound pulse "ping" per cycle...

Now I get to explain it as a "burst" of sound energy....(that does sound cooler...lol...)

Rickie

--- End quote ---

I dunno, I think that “ping” sounds pretty cool…
[Hunt for Red October] Captain Ramius: Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version