Author Topic: 1197 locking up  (Read 4765 times)

Offline muller2357

• Unit(s): 997 & 737
  • Accessories: weathersense, interlink
1197 locking up
« on: July 16, 2017, 11:20:41 PM »
have had this 1197 unit connected via Ethernet cable to a helix 10 g2n....all actual waypoints r on the helix unit...before a tournament this weekend I downloaded the waypoints from the helix onto an sd card so I could put them on the 1197....when I put the sd card in the 1197 it asked if I wanted to "upload new nav data"...I selected yes then it said "uploading nav data"....then within 2 seconds said "no new nav data found"....restarted the unit put the chip in again and same things happened....then reloaded the waypoints from the helix to the sd card and tried again...same problem...put the sd card in humminbird pc to verify there was waypoints on it and there was....put it back in the 1197 and same problem no new nav data found even though there r no waypoints on the unit....so I loaded the waypoints into humminbird pc....cleared the sd card...then put the waypoints back on the card from humminbird pc....restarted the 1197 and inserted the chip....got to the uploading nav data screen and there it sat...I let it sit for 20 minutes like that (more than enough time) before deciding it was locked up...had to unplug the 1197 because I couldn't turn it off with the button...now when I turn it on it is functional for about 20 secs before it locks up and becomes unresponsive...what should I do next

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: 1197 locking up
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »
Try disconnecting the Ethernet and starting the unit in Simulator  ...

Press the Menu button when the HB splash screen appears and select Simulator from the popup choices  ...

Then Format Nav Directories and Restore Defaults under the Setup tab  ...

The unit may restart in Normal operation after Restore Defaults so shut it down and restart back into Simulator mode again  ...

Give the unit a few minutes to fully boot into Simulator (my 1197 takes a minute or two to load the Nav tab into the Menu system in Simulator operation)  ...

Then go into Waypoints Routes Tracks under the Nav tab to see if there is anything listed in the left pane of Waypoint Management  ...

Report back with results  ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:51:45 PM by rnvinc »

Offline muller2357

• Unit(s): 997 & 737
  • Accessories: weathersense, interlink
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »
thank you sir..you r the man.....formatting the nav directories did the trick
then reset to defaults...rebooted the unit...loaded my charts then loaded my waypoints....all is good
thanks again

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 08:57:17 AM »
thank you sir..you r the man.....formatting the nav directories did the trick
then reset to defaults...rebooted the unit...loaded my charts then loaded my waypoints....all is good
thanks again

If the issue was a corrupt Waypoint you may still experience issues  ...

It may be a good idea to load your waypoints into Humminbird PC and check for weird Waypoint data - duplicates, bad dates, irrelevant lat/long characters  ...

It has even been reported that Waypoint names with dashes, spaces, or characters instead of letters and numbers can create gremlins  ...

Rickie

Offline grizwilson

• Unit(s): 1197 798
  • Software: 6.640
  • Accessories: interlink
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 01:06:01 PM »
First Rickie, Thank you so much for your helps both here and crappie.com.  I had a similar situation yesterday.  Was fishing table Rock and had down loaded the MDC fish attractors thru humminbird pc and put on a SD card.  When I inserted the card it read loading data, but locked up. Then i had to pull power to shut down.  After restart any attempt to display map would freeze the unit.  After following your instructions above I have it loading maps again.  I am afraid to try a sd card again.  Considering making a new card and loading to my 798 that is interlinked to the 1197.....Is that a bad idea?  Thanks

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 11:16:09 PM »
First Rickie, Thank you so much for your helps both here and crappie.com.  I had a similar situation yesterday.  Was fishing table Rock and had down loaded the MDC fish attractors thru humminbird pc and put on a SD card.  When I inserted the card it read loading data, but locked up. Then i had to pull power to shut down.  After restart any attempt to display map would freeze the unit.  After following your instructions above I have it loading maps again.  I am afraid to try a sd card again.  Considering making a new card and loading to my 798 that is interlinked to the 1197.....Is that a bad idea?  Thanks

I have read many reports of state fisheries Nav data not “playing nice” - trying to get those Nav data into a HB unit ... I have no idea what actually causes this anomaly - even when that state fishery website “says” it can export as a HB format  ...

You might try downloading the Nav data from the state fisheries website in GPX format and then convert them into HB format thru a third party GPS converter like gpsbabel  ...
https://www.gpsbabel.org/ (gpsbabel seems to work well converting into HB .hwr format)  ...

Then load the new file into HBPC and load to a SD Card for import into your unit  ...

Note: HB core unit Nav data must reside in a MATRIX folder on the SD Card - HBPC export function creates this MATRIX folder on the SD Card during export (gpsbabel does not create the MATRIX folder - therefore the HBPC step is necessary for HB core units) ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 11:29:57 PM by rnvinc »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo