Author Topic: Help me set up a 570 DI to get the most out of it  (Read 12539 times)

Offline ctf58

• Unit(s): 570 DI
Help me set up a 570 DI to get the most out of it
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:04:55 PM »
I have the 570 DI

Got my Humminbird 570DI installed and went night fishing last night. Depth readings were fine as shallow as 2 feet so no worries there as some others have had. I was fishing Barkley lake (sister lake to KY lake)trying to fish some ledges and flats near the ledges. Started with factory defaults and started tinkering. Using split screen I could see bottom contour pretty good, but the "water" was nothing but clutter (pixels). Turned "clutter" sensitivity up and down and everything else up and down. The only way to clean things up was setting sensitivity to 1 on a scale of 1 to 10.
The water was very warm 88 degrees if that matters. Never really saw a fish arch in 2D mode even though I caught a nice bass right under the boat and wondered if I dialed my settings to far back. It is in "clear mode" right now.

Just hoping some people here could give me some advise on settings or anything else I did wrong. I've never really set a fishfinder up before.

Sorry I had posted this in the wrong area earlier.

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
Re: Help me set up a 570 DI to get the most out of it
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
Ctf; First if your unit came with a inst CD call HB CS and request a hard paper copy.
I too have a 570 DI and have fished/dived LBL few times.

I always take a day or two and learn the unit on the water. (no fishing just sonar).

Turn the SwitchFire off for now. 2d set up will be ez'er.

3d Set to structure ID.
Work with the Sensitiyity setting. Do over the same spot till you like what see.

Remenber the DI beam is very thin frount to rear but wide side to side. You may not see fish under the boat but will see them after the stern pass over them.

Time on the water is the best teacher!

Emjoy Roddy :)
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline ctf58

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
thank you roddy,
   I live about 2 hours from the lake next time I go down I'll give it a try. I usually put in at eddy creek, do you have any suggestions on a good place with structured to use so I can get a feel for the unit.

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:42:25 AM »
ctf58:
Remember, that the shallower the water, the less
sensitivity you'll need.

Offline ctf58

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »
thanks ITGEEK,
I found a you tube video where the guy giving a seminar is in 25-30 feet and has his sensitivity set to 12. I had my sensitivity turned down to about 2-5. My old eagle fishfinder showed the bottom and arches but not much else. the water area was pretty pixel free. I'm sure it was not as sensitive as this one and it will take some time to get it dialed in. Next time I'm out I'll take a photo of the screen.

Offline ctf58

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 10:01:22 AM »
Ok second time out on the lake and I'm getting a better image, but now I am losing depth in less than about 4 feet. It goes wild and does not correct until I either turn it off and get into deeper water and turn it back on. There is an update to my unit to 4.1.1 but I do not have the cords to connect to the computer. any advise?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 02:55:49 PM »
ctf58,
The 4.1.1 (now should be showing 4.1.8) is the HumminbirdPC program for your computer and it is not an update file for your unit.  Read the description for the file when you next log into your account.

The 570 DI unit does not have any updates posted on the Humminbird web site – that is one of the drawbacks of buying a 500 series unit.  The 700 series units have free software updates posted on the Humminbird web site.

You can try calling into the Humminbird web site and asking what it would cost for you to send your 570 Di unit in to have the software updated.  Ask nicely and they may do it for free.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline ctf58

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »
I called humminbird today and they were nice enough to email me updated software. the usb to serial cable that I got from ebay did not work, the drivers would not instal to the computer. I drove to work where my computer had a serial port and downloaded the updated software to the head unit. I have a tournament 2 fish friday to test it out. I'll post how it does.. thanks for all the help and thanks humminbird for the good customer support.

Offline ctf58

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 11:30:44 PM »
Sorry to all for not updating this thread after updating my software. My computer died, pneumonia, holidays, herniated 2 disc in my back. You know, sucks getting older.

Updating my unit went well and I have used it several times with very few issues. I'm sure they were operator error. I am getting better images and I'm sure more time is the key.

I do have a few questions.

1. I have this mounted on the bow with the transducer on the trolling motor. Since this unit puts a wide side to side beam, yet narrow front to back, would I be better off with the transducer mounted on the stern and the unit on the dash?
   A. Reason I ask is in my mind the stern should in theory give me a more stable and constant picture. In my brain it looks like this on the trolling motor mount. If I were tracking directly down a large long log with the trolling motor going straight and then had to make fast direction correction because of a wave, wind whatever. If I had to turn the motor 90 degrees and then back or if I were fighting the wind and constantly moving the motor angle it would be like looking between two pieces of plywood and constantly swiveling them back and forth. My beam instead of going across the log steadily it would be swiveling lengthwise then back and forth until I get back on "track". But the back of the boat does not move as much relative to the front and definitely not like the twisting of the trolling motor.
   B. I have trouble seeing the black and white screen in the sun but can manage. I have a smaller color bird on the console now and could switch them.
   C. What do you guys think would be a better location for the 570DI? Bow or console??
   D. Option "D" if the cable is long enough leave unit on bow and move transducer to stern? Do you think it is a good option or should I be concerned with interference between having two transducers so close together?

Thanks again this forum rocks!
ctf58

Offline Whistler

• Unit(s): 1198c SI, 1199ci, Helix 12 SI G2N
  • Software: 7.510,7.460,1.460
  • Accessories: Heading Sensor, NMEA
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 08:13:45 PM »
This thread applies indirectly to 1.a even though we were discussing SI.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=3330.new;topicseen#new

I've built a similar version myself and am very happy with it so far. I'll try to post some pictures of it on the linked thread in the near future.

Offline ctf58

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 11:13:25 PM »
thanks Whistler for the link. I like what Perch jerker did. I hang up so much in the rocks and brush on the bank I'm afraid I would destroy it.

I'm thinking that I'll probably either switch locations or move the DI transducer to the back with the 2D transducer if it will not have interference from the 2D transducer. I do not need to know what is directly under the trolling motor so I think moving the transducer to the rear will be the ticket.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal