Author Topic: Chart selection  (Read 6446 times)

Offline ETnSC

• Unit(s): 1197c SI
  • Software: 5.43
Chart selection
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:55:59 PM »
Is it normal to only be able to change chart selection in simulator mode?  When using the 1197c SI in normal mode the chart selection does not show up in the menu.  I have to restart the unit in simulation mode change charts then restart in normal mode. 

I am also having an issue with the unit resetting the short cut buttons.

Anyone else having these issues?
ET

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Chart selection
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 08:42:42 AM »
Make sure you are in advanced mode. 
Page thru the menu tabs for the option to set advanced mode. 
We have had the 1197 for 1 1/2 years and have not seen the presets quit working or change. 
Chuck

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
ET,
Do you have one or more mapping cards installed in your unit or is your unit an NVB version?

When you set the shortcut buttons are you in the normal operating mode with the unit on your boat or is this in the simulator mode?  If the simulator mode; how are you getting the unit to go into this mode?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline ETnSC

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »
ET,
Do you have one or more mapping cards installed in your unit or is your unit an NVB version?

When you set the shortcut buttons are you in the normal operating mode with the unit on your boat or is this in the simulator mode?  If the simulator mode; how are you getting the unit to go into this mode?

The unit is not a NVB unit.  I am using a Navionics Platinum + 642 card in the left slot and a 4gb blank card in the right slot.  I have tried setting shortcuts in normal and simulator modes.  Same results.  I get into simulator mode by pressing the menu key at start-up and selecting 'simulator mode'. 

One thing that may have contributed is that when I would hit a wave (and not necessarily a big one)  the unit would shut off.  This has probably happened 8-10 times on my last 2 trips on the boat. (I am not happy about this either.)  I would have to unplug and replug the connector a couple of time to get the units to start up again. 
ET

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:56:49 PM »
ET,
Well you are in the correct two modes for the unit to remember the shortcut key settings.  Have you tried this without the Platinum card in the unit?

For the unit shutting off when you hit a wave: check all of the power connections starting from the connector end on the power cable and going all the way back to the battery.  Any loose connection could be causing this including where the power cables plugs into the unit and the in-line fuse as well.

Offline ETnSC

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 04:37:38 PM »
I have checked all the connections.  All the wires are secured and supported.  I have it wired into a fuse block.  I have tried different connection points on the fuse block.  None of the other equipment wired to the block goes out.  Only possible connection problem is the connection at the back of the unit.

I have not tried it with the Platinum card out of the unit, but will try that next time I am on the water.  Would the Chart Selection menu item show up if the card is not in the unit?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:40:18 PM by ETnSC »
ET

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
ET  reference other posts in general, there could be a problem at the unit slip in block.  Try bending (ever so slightly) the male pins outwards (opposing each other) so that they make a tight fitting when inserted into the unit connector.   Let us know about this. 
Chuck 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
ET,
Don’t have a unit to check this with right now but you may not get the Chart Select menu without a map card installed or if you do it will only show and allow the “Auto” setting.  I was meaning to try setting the short cut buttons without the Platinum card installed.

Other electronics on your boat may not be as sensitive to voltage drops as the 1197 is.  I would try what Chuck suggested to see if that helps.  Does the power cable run directly to the fuse block or did you have to add to the original power cable?  Are the connectors soldered on or merely crimped?

Offline ETnSC

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 04:00:01 PM »
ET,
Don’t have a unit to check this with right now but you may not get the Chart Select menu without a map card installed or if you do it will only show and allow the “Auto” setting.  I was meaning to try setting the short cut buttons without the Platinum card installed.

Other electronics on your boat may not be as sensitive to voltage drops as the 1197 is.  I would try what Chuck suggested to see if that helps.  Does the power cable run directly to the fuse block or did you have to add to the original power cable?  Are the connectors soldered on or merely crimped?

I took the platinum card out. Set the shortcuts and put the platinum card back in.  So far the shortcut seem to be holding.

One of my other concerns was that the 'Chart Selection' menu item is not available with the Platinum + card in the unit when the unit is in 'Normal' mode.  It is only available when the unit is in 'Simulation' mode.  Is this by design?

As for the power issues, the power cord is run directly to the fuse block and the connections are crimp-on.   I will solder on new spade terminals and see if this helps.  I do not think this is the problem.

I purchased an extra power cable and connector housings and have it wired to a 12 volt DC power transformer to be able to run the unit when I am off the boat.  I have the same problem with this connection losing power just moving the unit around in my lap sitting in the lazy-boy.  I my opinion this is a poor design for a power cord that can be subjected to some significant pounding on a boat.

ET

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo