Author Topic: Re-rig suggestions for new bow/console head units  (Read 7793 times)

Offline dhartmann

Re-rig suggestions for new bow/console head units
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »
I plan to replace the 10 yr old components I have on my boat will all new HB units this spring.  I've created a diagram (see link below) with what I plan to do at this point.  I'd like comments suggestions on the plan and how it could be improved, where it won't work, etc.  My objectives are:

1. Use Ethernet cable to share GPS waypoints/routes and SI/DI imaging between the 798si HD and 998si
2. Use transducer Y cable to switch (automatically) between SI transducer and high speed transducer depending on speed (SI transducer mounted higher to avoid impact damage)
3. GPS receiver mounted in middle of boat to minimize waypoint error when sharing between 798/998
4. Ability to swap bow/console units with full functionality (including SI/DI) when desired

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=568

My fishing is freshwater, almost always 50' or less, 60% walleye/30% bass/10% other.  The boat is an 1850 Crestliner sportfish, with 150 merc/15 merc kicker (on port side).

Thanks any inputs.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:45:07 PM by RGecy »

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
Re: Re-rig suggestions for new bow/console head units
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:06:41 PM »
dhartman,

Welcome to the forum.  I converted your PDF to jpeg images so everyone could see what you are talking about without having download it from the link.

First, I am not sure that you will be able to share the SI data bewteen different model units.  Not sure if this has been released yet or I just missed it.  I am sure 2d depth will not be an issue.

I would put the GPS reciever for the 998 as close to the transducer as possible.  This will give you very accurate waypoints especially when marking waypoints on the SI screen.

As we know more about the capabilities of the ethernet I think it will become more clear as to how some of these setups will work.

Robert
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Wayne P.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »
You are incorrect about the function of the transducer Y cable. There is no "automatic switching" . The transducer Y cable disconnects the 83/200 khz in the SI transducer and connects the added 83/200 khz transducer in its place. The 83/200 khz transducer is active all the time. The 83/200 khz in the SI transducer is not electrically connected at all. The temperature comes from the SI transducer.

Imaging is not shared in any way between units, only the transducer signal is interpreted by each unit according to their menus and settings.

I don't know how you will get dual unit performance with the transom SI transducer with  the US2 transducer on the trolling motor connected. Not much info yet what configuration is workable with the ethernet connection.

Have you seen the official function of the ethernet?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »
From what I have heard you should be able to share waypoints, routes, some accessories (have not heard which ones yet), GPS Receivers and sonar data (have not heard what form this will be in yet).

1. yes you will be able to do this though I do not know how the sonar is shared.  Since both units are Si and Di sonar capable they will be able to share this sonar.

2. Wayne is right about the function of the AS-Si-DB-Y cable.

3. I would mount the external GPS Receiver as close to the HDSi transducer as Robert stated.  The 798ci HD Si unit has it’s own internal GPS Receiver and so does not need to share.  Since it will be mounted near the bow transducer the waypoints will be more accurate that way.  When a waypoint is marked on one unit and shared; the second units receives those same coordinates which should be as accurate as they were on the original unit that marked them.

4. Are you meaning physically swapping the units around from console to bow and bow to console?  If so than you would need to use some sort of removeable mount for each unit plus you would have to uninstall the cables from the 998’s connector collector and the 798’s quick disconnect mount.  This would require a screwdriver and several minutes to do so each time you swapped them around.  As for the cables, they will work for both units (the 700 Series Ethernet Adapter Cable will have to stay with the 798 unit).

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline dhartmann

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 01:36:29 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments. 
1. I'll until the sw/details for the ethernet connected devices to be released to purchase to make sure I understand how it should work.
2. In reading this forum, I've seen others plan to use two transom transducers - one high speed, one si - with one head unit.  It sounds like I'm wrong in how that should work - can someone point me to the accurate description?
3. Thanks for clearing up how sharing waypoints will work - the same gps coordinates will be available to both units and making them the most accurate - by using receivers closest to the respective transducer rather than trying to "split the difference" - makes sense now.
4. Thanks also for clearing up the process of physically swapping the units.  I thought the quick release feature made that easier.  I'll plan to leave them where they are instead.

Great forum, great participation.  Thanks again and only 112 days to the Minnesota Fishing Opener.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 09:22:55 AM »
2.  Wayne had a good description about how the AS-Si-DB-Y transducer splitter cable works.  Look at the image below to help you understand this better.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline dhartmann

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »
Thanks Greg & Wayne - all things are now clear.  The head won't switch between the two transducers but will always show SI from one and 2D from the other.  Bottom line, I can mount the expensive SI transducer a little higher to protect it and not worry about losing 2D readings when running on plane - where the 2D transducer will provide the signal.  That's what I wanted - even if I didn't understand how it works.

Dell

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo