Author Topic: No plug for 900 series....  (Read 12964 times)

Offline Double Digit

• Unit(s): 998 c si...Navionics Platinum +
  • Software: 6.180
No plug for 900 series....
« on: May 04, 2011, 11:07:48 PM »
Well humminbird got back to me today with some bad news.They told me they don't make a plug for the 900 series xducer....This really has me worried because the roostertail shooting off my xducer is so bad that i cant drive my boat any more than half throttle or my outboard gets totally swamped.They also told me that if I'm  getting a roostertail that means my xducer is to low and must be raised.Well this is real bad because my xducer is as high as i can have it without having to drill 3 more holes in my transom.When i installed it i followed the directions word for word.I used the template i matched the lower edge of my transom with the bottom corner of the template made sure it was level taped it to the transom marked the holes that i needed to drill from the template,So how i don't have anymore adjustment to raise the mounting bracket any higher is beyond me....Not only do i have a really bad roostertail but i loose all sonar readings from half throttle on.Wouldn't that mean that the xducer has to be lowered?Well that's my plan anyway because i cant raise it anymore so I'm gonna lower it and see what happens.I sure hope this is gonna fix it or else I'm gonna have to try and modify my mounting bracket,if that don't work ill have to drill 3 new holes higher up but that's last resort.I should be home tomorrow so ill take some picts of the setup before i change anything  so you guys can see what i got going on.....

Offline HUMMIN_DOWNUNDER

• Unit(s): 987 / 898
  • Software: Lastest
  • Accessories: T'DUCER SWITCH
Re: No plug for 900 series....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:42:21 PM »
G'day dd,

I thought the transducer plug would fit the 900 series?? Guess not............

dd, there are a range of spary deflectors on the market you could try. I have also seen home made jobs made from soft drinks and even duct taping the hole over seems to work.

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:22:13 AM »
Be careful with lowering the transducer.  Depending on how fast your boat can do, it can put allot of stress on the mount/transducer.   There have been many a report of bass boat loosing (just cable left).   

The HDSI can be fixed, like the plug on the Compact SI, by wrapping electrical tape around the mount/transducer connection.  It has worked for mine and lasted.  I'd try that before messing with any lowering. 

Also, if this is a higher speed boat, you might need a seperate 2D shoot thru hull transducer and splitter cable, to get high speed 2d.   
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline Double Digit

• Unit(s): 998 c si...Navionics Platinum +
  • Software: 6.180
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:50:36 PM »
Hey guys...
  Well i went down to the boat to play around today.I lowered the transducer as low as i could but after reading your post not sure if i did the right thing.My boat isn't nearly as fast as the bass boats some of you guys use i top out alone at about 45mph.Most of the time I'm cruising at 35 to 38...I'm not sure if this is fast enough to rip the transducer off my boat but i sure as heck don't wanna find out.I took a few pictures before i lowered it to get your feed back on how my installation looks.Only two came out good enough to show.So what you guys are saying is i can wrap tape around the mount to close off that hole in the center and this might get ridd of the roostertail?That would be nice i really don't wanna have to fill in the 3 holes i drilled and have to drill new ones.My next trip out will be sunday i will let ya know how this plays out....Let me know what you think of how i mounted the transducer....thanks

Offline Roddy

• Scan,scan and rescan
  • Unit(s): 797c2, 947c,987SI/DI,570di,1198,1155,Ip
  • Accessories: wx/Tow Fish,Drop Cam's,ROV''s
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:50:32 PM »
Hi DD: The instal looks good! The xducer may be a little high,the HB install sheet states 1/4" between the lower outside corner of the mount and the bottom of the boat.(see HB instal sheet section 2. Preparing the Mounting Location). Also any slack in the cable may bang on the hull and this may cause noise on the screen. Good luck and enjoy Roddy
Scan,Scan and Rescan Roddy

Offline lcookie

• Unit(s): 998SI/1198SI/788DI/587DI
  • Software: 6.68/6.64/6.64/6.09
  • Accessories: Ethernet, GRHA, ASGPSHS,WeatherSense
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 07:13:29 AM »
The install looks good.  You can fill in the gap with a clear silicone.  it can be removed later without much hassle.

Fishfinger

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 10:36:41 PM »
Check the following link: www.sternmate.com
I installed one of these on my boat over four holes from the previous owner which really cleaned up the back of my boat. It allows for a lot of adjustment and it seems like a very well thought out product. It moves the transducer away from the stern a ways where the water rises up after exiting the bottom of the boat so the transducer can be mounted higher. When on the trailer the transducer for my 898 looks like it would be out of the water on plane, higher than yours is, and it holds the bottom at my top speed of 44mph and I have very little spray coming off of it. I initially installed it per the instructions and doused my motor as well and just kept moving it up until the problem went away. Before I bought the Sternmate I called the owner with a few questions and he was very helpful, so far I would recommend the product highly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo