Author Topic: Ethernet Port -- Saving Data  (Read 6054 times)

Offline oce_uri

• Ocean Engineering Department
  • Unit(s): 898c
  • Software: default
Ethernet Port -- Saving Data
« on: December 15, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking for any and all information regarding the ethernet port on the back of the device.  I am looking to connect the ethernet to a mission computer (on an autonomous surface vessel) such as a Phidgets in order to save the output .dat files and ultimately generate a sonar mosaic.  Does anyone know what communication method this uses and how data is sent over the ethernet?  Thanks in advance for any and all information. 

Ashley

Offline Rüdiger

Re: Ethernet Port -- Saving Data
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 04:25:45 AM »
Hi

DrDepth use the ethernet port for the live-sidescan-mosaic.
HB use the port to connect two unit's,  so must it be possible to use an computer as the second unit.
Now I'm waiting for the genius that writes the suitable software. :)

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline albe

• Unit(s): 998c SI
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: DrDepth BT/SS mapping
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »
How to make a Ethernet cable that can be attached to a Humminbird unit and a computer with the required DrDepth settings are explained in the Help/Sidescan Help (F4) manual. I have put a file in the Humminbird Group File section that gives directions on how to make a cable to connect a Humminbird unit to a computer. The file name is: Live data with Humminbird Ethernet.pdf
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/files/

Al
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:32:59 AM by albe »

Offline oce_uri

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:05:54 AM »
Al, thanks for the post.  I am, however, trying to not just get the live data streaming to a PC but to actively save the data that would otherwise be saving to the .dat file on the SD card.  As the vehicle is autonomous, I do not want to try and stream the data live over our comms back to shore but rather to save it and look at it when the boat comes back to shore.  I guess I am confused as to what actual data the ethernet will be sending, its format, and the protocol it is using.  I am not looking to use DrDepth to view it, but would like to use the stored data to construct a sonar mosaic similar to DrDepth.  This is my senior design project as an Ocean Engineering student at the University of Rhode Island, and, therefore, I am not looking to buy software to complete the task but to try and develop it myself. 

Offline albe

• Unit(s): 998c SI
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: DrDepth BT/SS mapping
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 05:24:37 PM »
I take it that this boat you are wanting to record from is a remote controlled boat. I believe that you would have to have a GPS/Sonar unit on-board with a sidescan transducer attached, that you would need for recording the data you want. I think you are looking to record all of the data and then develop software and use that data to view the sidescan images? You will need all of the data from the SD card recorded information to view sidescan. That would mean having the unit turned on and recording from the time the boat is launched until it returns, if there is no one on board to start the recording process.

You can use up to a 32GB card for recording and you will use up about 1MB per minute of recording.

I am by no means any kind of engineer but am just trying to comprehend what you are actually trying to do.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:27:56 PM by albe »

Offline oce_uri

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 05:46:19 PM »
That is exactly what I am trying to do.  The boat will be autonomous and will be given gps coordinates to go to, survey, and then return home ... ideally.  However, we will have an RC kill switch if things begin to go awry and will be following the boat at all times in a chase boat as well.  I will turn on the Humminbird and hit record before we send the boat out for there is no other way to turn on the device when it begins its run.  As far as the SD card, I would like to piggyback onto the ethernet output and record that to a FitPC or something.  I, however, do not know how it communicates nor do I know its output data format.  And, aside from reverse engineering some sample data files, I see no other option to find any information regarding the ethernet.  I haven't been able to find anyone who either a) knows anything about it or b) who is willing to disclose that information to me.  After the data has been collected, I will then construct my own mosaic (potentially ... may break down and purchase DrDepth for the sake of graduating and give up on my lofty goal of developing my own software code) using some sidescan processing software such as MB System.  Basically, I am going crazy trying to find any and all information regarding the ethernet port on the back because it would enable me to store data files on a location other than the SD card (and a larger file size) and to potentially get live data back to shore using my comms.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 09:42:52 AM »
Also check your laws concerning frequency allocation for the comms transfer. You dont want to broadcast on a frequency used by or controlled by a communications  authority.

Chuck

Offline johnsondel

• Grouse-Hunter
  • Unit(s): 798c si
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 11:22:12 AM »
I'm interested in this same issue but for a different reason.  I want to use a high end microprocessor to control my electric trolling motor.  I have one microprocessor that I can use that has an ethernet port on it and it will support all of the internet protocols.  What is needed is to learn what protocol is used to communicate to/from the humminbird using the ethernet port and information on the data format of the data packets.  I have programmed the ethernet port on the microprocessor both to act as a web server as well as issue web requests to other internet servers so I may already have half of the software development if the humminbird uses tcpip packets.

Does anyone have any information on the network protocol used by the humminbird.  Also any information on the session login process and node/device identification credentials (if required).  I assume the .dat file data is what i need to decode for current lat/long, waypoints, depth and course tracking?  Does anyone know whether the .dat format is  the same, superset or subset of the NMEA data?

Thanks in advance
Del Johnson

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo