Author Topic: Which ducer to purchase?  (Read 6164 times)

Offline papa_60

• Unit(s): 798 SI
  • Software: 4.960
Which ducer to purchase?
« on: December 05, 2011, 06:45:52 PM »
I have a HB 798ci Si unit. Using a Y cable and a XHS 9 SI 160 T ducer mounted on the opposite sides  of rhe transom. After reading the manual I asked about the QuadraBeam PLUS  and the recommendation at the bass pro was this configuration. Today I snagged the cable to the ducer that came with the unit. I immediately un plugged the cable from the unit. I hope I did not damage the head. Apparently the 160 T is a SI ducer only, as I had no DI at all. My question is will the quadra beam work as my DI or will I need a duel beam like came with the Unit. Or do you know of a better configuration. I have only used my new toy a couple of rimes, still trying to learn  to interpret what I see with SI The  transducers on the HB products were not very helpful. Any suggestions are very appreciative. TY 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Which ducer to purchase?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
papa_60,
Which Y-cable are you using?

The XHS-9-Si-160-T transducer was meant for the older 1st generation 981c I and 987c Si units.  The standard transducer is the Compact Side Imaging (CSi) XNT-9-180-T transducer.  An option to this is the High Definition Side Imaging (HDSi) XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transducer.

For the 798ci Si unit, the Down Imaging (Di) sonar comes from the left and right Si sonar beams, so we really need to know which Y-cable you are using.  We also need to know what the second transducer is that is/was connected to the Y-cable (is this the standard CSi XNT-9-Si-180-T transducer?).

The QuadraBeam Plus transducer will not give Di sonar data. 

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline papa_60

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »
I don,t see a number on the Y cable and can’t find my receipt.  It is labeled which connection to use for side imaging and duel beam. I am headed over to the pro-bass shop to see if they have the XNT-9-180-T transducer. I will also look into a transducer switch and a quad-beam with a TM mount. Looks like from reading the forms this would be a good set up. Looks like I am stuck with the XHS- 9-SI-T. Since the other ducer is duel beam Is there any advantage running all three? 
Thanks for the help,
 Papa

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:48:12 AM »
Papa,
Those two labels are enough to identify it as the AS-Si-DB-Y cable.

The correct part number (I forgot the “Si” part) for the Compact Side Imaging transducer is XNT-9-Si-180-T, but the Bass pro folks should be able to help you get the right one.  As a (more expensive) substitute you could use an XHS-9-HDSi-180-T which mounts on the same hardware as the XHS-9-Si-160-T you have installed now.

What are you trying to do with this second transducer?

Do you have a fiberglass or aluminum boat?

Why are you considering a Transducer Switch and the QuadraBeam transducer?

My concern is that someone is selling you something that will not work or that you do not need.

Offline papa_60

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 11:24:05 AM »
O.K. have not left yet. I have a fiberglass boat. When I read the manual that came with the unit,  I thought the quadra beam transducer would give me a wider coverage.  When I asked over at the bass-pro shop they recommendated the XHS-9-SI-160 with the Y cable. I thought that maybe if I put a quad on the TM it might help. Please give me your advice, and tell me if the Y cable will work instead of the switch. Do I just need to leave the XHS-9-SI-160 T off. I will have  to get a new duel beam like came with the unit. I only have SI no DI sonar picture at all.
TY, Papa

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 01:26:06 PM »
Papa,
The QuadraBeam transducer will give you a wider coverage area than just the 2D sonar portion of the CSi transducer – but it will not cover a wider area than the Si sonar.

The Bass pro folks recommended the wrong transducer.  With the AS-Si-DB-Y cable you are using that transducer would only work as a 200kHz 20 degree 2D sonar transducer.

If you want to put the QuadraBeam on the trolling motor and be able to switch to it (instead of the Si transducer) than you can do that.  You would need the XTM-9-QB-90-T trolling motor mounted QuadraBeam transducer and a TS3 Transducer Switch.  I can help you with the connections for all of this if you need it.  Still a second CSi transducer (XTM-9-Si-180-T) on the trolling motor would give you a wider coverage area if that is what you want off of the trolling motor (you would still need the switch for this).

The Di sonar was added with software version 4.780, so you need to update the software in your 798 unit before you will see this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo