Author Topic: Moving Files from Within a Navionics Hotmaps Card  (Read 7622 times)

Offline Llunker

• Team Llunker
  • Team Llunker
    • Ultimate Lunker Fishing Forum
  • Unit(s): 997c SI
  • Software: 4.75
  • Accessories: SI with in-hull transducer as well
Moving Files from Within a Navionics Hotmaps Card
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:26:27 PM »
Hey Guys,

quick question--i know you need navplanner(or some sort of Navionics card reader) or fugawi's SW to be able to look at a Navionics Hotmaps SD card on the PC.

My question is If I purchase the navplanner can you see the files on the SD card? I am wanting to take away most of the lakes i don't use on the card like all of them except Texas --that way the chip will load faster in my 997c SI and the Refresh rate will be faster as well. The New 2010 is extremely slow i heard to refresh --so i thought i would just take out the lakes not needed to make the refresh rate faster and the ability to get around the card faster as well.

The new 998c SI has a faster processor so it handles the process ok. But not so much for the 997.

But there are ways around everything.

So I guess i need to hear from folks that actually own the Navplanner. Can you see files --like "topdown" which is specific for Platinum only. or do you see the Names of States which would be the file that carries all the lakes for that state. I assume the file stucture is somewhat like that.

and Yes i know if you fiddle with the card i might screw it up--i know the risks--i just need to know if someone with the multi-card reader and the program can tell me if you see the files section.

hmmm--after a much debated conversation with Navionics people today --they are trying to discourage me from doing that.  Saying that more than likey that if I move the file off the card and try and move it back --that it probably wont work.  I guess what i am trying to also ask is are the files from Navionics have a Specific address on the SD card--so once moved--its done??  but they said it might work and it might not--that tells me it is possible but they just don't want people messing with their cards.

Ok SW Experts and programmers--to the Rescue !! tell me if this will work or not

What to do

Bobby

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:31:22 PM by Llunker »
El Grande Lures Field Staff

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
Re: Moving Files from Within a Navionics Hotmaps Card
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:54:27 PM »
Hi Bobby,

I have Navplanner and Hotmaps for the southern region and Navplanner works reasonably well to look at the maps.

BUT, there is a warning not to change any files, because the program will self destruct and you will lose the use of your hotmaps.  As far as I know you cannot try to copy anything. 

There are a number of folks that have played with their Hotmaps and have lost the use of the card.   Personally I would not mess with the card unless I was going to trade it in for a new one and did not care if I destroyed it.

I think it is wrong what Navionics is doing.  I don't think it is just protecting their technology, I think they have done this to make more money through the cards self destructing.  Don't get me wrong I like their mapping programs and I believe they have the right to protect their investments, but I am concerned that they have made it easy to ruin the card. 

George

Offline George

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »
Bobby

I just plugged in my Navplanner and I do see the files starts with Navionic folder, then charts, then it opens to all of the charts with a few other folders.  So you can get to the maps via Navionics.  One thing I find odd is that occasionally the reader does not read and has to be unplugged from the computer and replugged in to get it ti read.  This is the forth time it has happened to me.

I purchased 2010 Navionics® HotMaps® Platinum Multi-Dimensional Lake Maps.  This is the card I have up and running in NavPlanner.

George

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:39:56 PM by George »

Offline Llunker

• Team Llunker
  • Team Llunker
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 05:54:55 PM »
Well this is what i have found out from a pro that actually helps make maps and has done this procedure many times before without injury to the card. or loss of data to a chart card.

1. Make 2 back up copies of the original full SD chart Card
2. you take  all the states off the card except for Example Kansas --which is the one you wanted to keep.  you can delete the file or put it somewhere safe.
3. When you want  to place all the lakes back on the card you simply delete  the entire contents of the card first--making it a blank card now(DO NOT FORMAT CARD!!!!).(of course this was done with the little flap on the side of the sd card in the unlock position)
4. then you copy and paste  everything from a backup to the original blank card.  It was blank because you had deleted everything from it.

I have now found my answer--thanks guys

This information actually came from Jack Baker -- http://www.greatplainsmapping.com/

Bobby
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:56:34 PM by Llunker »

Offline George

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:45:50 PM »
Bobby

If you go ahead with changing your card please let us know how you make out (good or bad).  This will help us.  Also try to document your procedure so that we can follow it.  It it works I will remove areas that I will not use.

George

Offline Llunker

• Team Llunker
  • Team Llunker
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 06:49:33 PM »
Will Do--I plan on first off trying the unit out with no changes--if I do notice that it is extremely slow --i will follow the path that i have outlined above and let you know

Bobby

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo