Author Topic: 1198csi added ipilot & pre 5/10 update get wrong depth now and so-so LH SI image  (Read 5411 times)

Offline ScottMN

• Unit(s): 1198c SI..597 HD DI..30+ Green Boxes
  • Accessories: 101-Terrova/iPilot/iLink/LakeMaster Maps
(1)I have about 150 hrs on my 1198csi & I've always had a better image on the RH SI then the left. Remounted Trans @ angle to make it level in the water with my lard butt at the helm while afloat. No difference. Also nothing in the beams way and it acts the same with the motor trimmed out of the water & using the trolling motor.
(2) Added i-pilot (pre 5/10 firmware) and now my depth is 50/50 right/wrong. Sometimes reads double the depth and sometimes the correct depth no matter what frequency I use. Also 2d went from working at first to not good at all while watching jig motion & good bottom read to the opposite no matter what settings or frequencies I tried.
(3) Just spent about 75hrs with it this spring dialing in while pre-fishing tournament & not really impressed with ipilot abruptness of going to contours. Very quick turns almost toss you overboard and a lot of back and forth swaying 4-6' over contour when originally locking on. Also with a moderate head on wind it over-steers back and forth over contour. A boat brake helps but a pain in the butt to drop in & take out every spot change.
(4)Also I would like to see a "go back to contour" button instead of reprogramming contour if you have to go off contour to remove a snag, correct a wrong turn on chip or stop to net a fish in a tough spot.

Thanks guys, Maybe that's what is in the the firmware upgrade but my transducer SI weak left side would still be an issue.
How many cables do you own for gadgets?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
I would try testing your 1198 unit on someone else’s boat that has a Humminbird Si unit to see where the problem is: unit or transducer.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline ScottMN

• Unit(s): 1198c SI..597 HD DI..30+ Green Boxes
  • Accessories: 101-Terrova/iPilot/iLink/LakeMaster Maps
I would try testing your 1198 unit on someone else’s boat that has a Humminbird Si unit to see where the problem is: unit or transducer.

Thanks for the reply Greg. Only one problem is that everyone I know is watching my results before they buy Humminbird so I don't know anyone with an 1198csi or any Bird SI that I know of. I'm a lone sheep in a Lowrance world. But I have them watching and they are impressed (I don't tell them of the glitches :-) I bought it at Scheels with a Scheels Visa which extended the warranty to 2 years. Maybe they will just replace it as their is no one close in member maps. Is that the way Humminbird warranty works, is to figure it out yourself for the factory? I did try surface clutter control from 1 to 10 and no help there. Menu settings have been reset to where I had them and then some more testing for hours. No weeds. No dings. Is there a way to backup settings before resetting to default? Then I'll do the .bin update but The SI worked like this from new but the depth used to be spot on all the time. I had a Marcum like this and it was a loose crystal in the transducer. They just sent out a new one and all was fine in a couple days.
How many cables do you own for gadgets?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
If Scheels does not do anything try calling the Humminbird Customer Resource folks and ask for a transducer to try as it could possibly clear everything up.  Before hard mounting the transducer though I would try hanging it down in the water to see if the left and right Si sonar shows equally well from both sides before I install it.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
ScottMN:
If I was in your position with a fairly new unit under extended warranty,
I'd first call Humminbird and explain the problems to them, and ask them if
you could ship the unit to them for diagnosis/repair.
Also, ask them for a pre-paid mailing label (so it won't cost you
to ship).  They will mail that out to you.  Let them figure out what is
going on with the unit.
They also may have a newer (workable) software update for the i-pilot.
This is very important:I would include with the unit, a detailed list of problems you are having.  I think if a list is included, the technician(s) will look at, test for, and
check off each item on the list.

The only downside, is that you'll be without a unit for at least a week. :-\
The good news is that you'll get back a better unit, and you'll be able to
brag to your buddies of the great experience you had with
Humminbird Customer Service. ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo