Author Topic: My first SI images  (Read 12212 times)

Offline JDX

• Unit(s): 788 ci 898HD SI 899HD SI
My first SI images
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:09:50 PM »
These were some of the first snaps I have taken. HB 898 with hi def transducer, 8GB san disk SDHC. I stumbled across this area abot a year ago and saw fish stacked on my 788. I could see the rise and fall of the structure but I had no idea it was a sunken barge measuring approx. 200' I just kept the recorder on for about 2 hrs. while fishing. Using Humviewer (which I am amazed by for I am a newbie to SI) reviewed files and found another barge a few hundred feet away from the first one and found them stacked there as well. Using google earth and the co-ordinates I can see where they relate to the channel I was fishing. I had a lot of fun, caught a lot of fish and because its an area I am familiar with on 2D it unlocked a whole lot of sonar knowledge. Thank you guys for you contributions as I spend quite a bit of time reading all your "old" posts that are all new to me. Jeff

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
  • Unit(s): 898c HD SI / 859ci HD
  • Software: 6.490
Re: My first SI images
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 10:33:28 PM »
Glad you found out more locations to fish in your area. 

Did you try other color screens?  It looks like your Sen. Was higher than 11.  At that depth factory default should do what you need.  The lines throughout, is this interference from the big motor...when you shut down big motor after running forward at 4-5 mph does the lines still appear?
Tell them I've gone fishing!

Offline JDX

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:50:16 PM »

I think it has to do with the placement of a second transducer just forward of the SI TD. The previous trip with the unit out of the box at default settings the res. was perfect. I added a TD to get a better reading at speed but bad placement. It didn't read and it seemed to interfere with the SI TD. I did try some sharpness and sens.  adjustments but quickly realized that the settings were not the problem .

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:08:40 PM »
I see, i have lines like that when i run my front ducer but im up front then anyway.  Was trying to narrow it down by strarting with motor. 

Can you shut down the other ducer and see if it stops SI interference.

Offline JDX

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 11:34:22 PM »
I have an xnt 9 20 and the hi def - y cabled to the 898 . These pics are taken with the hi def selected on the 898. I am going to relocate the xnt to a lower position on the transom where you can see there was a previous installation and try that. If that doesn't correct the interference but improves the hi speed readings I am going to try disconnecting the xnt from the y cable, if that fails eliminate the y cable. I am hoping somewhere in that diagnostic tree I find a happy place. I'm going to push the dwindling season to the limit so next year, hopefully, I am dialed in. I previously had great res. with my 788 running in the front and the 898 in the back without the xnt so I'm certain it's somewhere in there. Always looking for more sometimes gives less !

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:19:03 AM »
From that angle, is the transducer in front of or beside SI ducer?  Would say after seeing this shot that the interference is from it causing the lines.  Your center line deviding left and right is to wide to tell if it was off to the side.  Moving or rigging to turn off that ducer while running SI should help....probably lean more to latter.

Keep the shots coming and hope ya get a boat load!  Winter is my best time due to Crappie stacking up and water levels dropping.   ;D

Offline JDX

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:27:52 AM »
The XNT TD is fore of the SI TD about 6"  It seemes like a place to start. I am wondering now if it is possible to use this XNT 9 20 inside the hull , whatcha think ?
If not I may just buy an inside hull TD and install when I replace the bilge pumps this winter.   I agree the colder temps sure make it easier to find the fish stacked. The DI images I posted was a school of white bass up to 5lbs and had the occasional 3lb LM mixed in. THis was the same spot that I caught the 5lb SM in my profile pic. I did some studying on google earth going back 10 years and I think I am going to find another sunken barge in that area. They really hold the fish and its about 20-30' deep within a few hundred yards of a rocky point  that extends into 8' then drops off. I think I found a good year round area here.

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »
JDX

all my ducers are outside the hull.  Maybe someone with that setup will chime in and give some pointers.  Have heard good and bad in reference to placing a ducer inside.

If you dont get it changed before you go out next time, kill the other ducer and get some shots with SI again...would like to see if that does the trick.  If so, you can leave as is and get a switch to turn it on or off when needed.  May save some time and money.

Offline JDX

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 07:48:17 PM »
Will do thanks for the input !

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 02:27:06 AM »
watch out for turb. from mounting in front like that...just a thought

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »
I am wondering now if it is possible to use this XNT 9 20 inside the hull , whatcha think ?
If not I may just buy an inside hull TD and install when I replace the bilge pumps this winter.

Yes the XNT-9-20 transducer can be mounted inside-the-hull.

A word of caution here about installing an inside-the-hull transducer during cold weather: not all epoxies will cure at low temperatures.  It would be best if you have your boat in a temperature controlled environment when you use the epoxy.  The epoxy manufacturer that we use for our epoxy kits recommends 77 degrees (F) for 24 hours for full strength and 48 hours cure time at 60 degrees (F).  They do not recommend using below 60 degrees (F).
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline JDX

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 11:06:44 PM »
Hey Greg :

What would be a good way of testing the location inside the hull ? I was thinking just using silicone for a temp mount to see if the location is good. Obviously , I need a firm mount to test it at planing speeds and taking a shot at a good location with an epoxy may be a bit optimistic. I will have to read up on how to properly install the TD inside the hull. I think this is going to be the way to go for best overall performance and reliability.

Offline freezerfiller

• Unit(s): 998c SI
  • Software: ??
  • Accessories: Ipilot link
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »

I was thinking just using silicone for a temp mount to see if the location is good. Obviously , I need a firm mount to test it at planing speeds and taking a shot at a good location with an epoxy may be a bit optimistic.

I know a few folks who have used silicone for their temporary mounts that are going on 5 or 6 years now.....

Offline JDX

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »
helpfull, thank you

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 08:58:12 AM »
I have as well but do not ever recommend using silicone on the actual transducer.  There may be some harmful chemical reaction with some formulations.  Also, you don’t want silicone between the transducer and the hull.  Best way to test an area inside-the-hull:
- Sand the area you want to test down to the naked fiberglass.
- Fill the area with enough water to come halfway up the side of the transducer. You may have to disable any auto-bilge pumps you have but do not forget to connect them back up!
- Position the transducer and use a plastic bag partially filled with sand, dirt, gravel or some other heavy substance to keep it from moving during testing.
- Test at various boat speeds and reposition the transducer until you find the spot that works.  Sometimes a small movement of a quarter of an inch one direction or the other will make all the difference.

If you just gotta’ use silicone to test or to mount you transducer; use it to seal a piece of PVC to the hull (vertically) and fill it with water.

Offline JDX

Re: My first SI images, 2nd run relocated TD
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 12:03:16 AM »
Relocated the XNT TD was definitely causing turbulence and not getting me a reading above 15 mph. Relocation gave me 2D readings up to 35 MPH and then the second image is  of the barge I shot previously. Much clearer, still stacked with fish too. I plan on mounting the XNT in the hull over the winter. I thought I would have to select the 2D TD in the 898 for viewing 2D at speed but I got readings without selecting ? I also pressed record and ended up with nothing as I was hping to post a snap with speed. I'm a little confused about that.

Offline slabbacks

• Is it Friday yet!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 02:57:34 AM »
Much better Si

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 12:13:44 PM »
JDX,
You don’t have to change the Transducer Select menu to view 2D sonar at speed.  With the AS-Si-DB-Y cable the unit is always getting the 2D sonar from the XNT transducer that you have connected to it.  The AS-Si-DB-Y cable reroutes the 2D sonar connections from the unit directly to the XNT transducer (the HDSi transducer’s 2D sonar is not even connected to the unit).

Not sure why the recording did not turn out.  Did you remember to use the Stop Recording function or just turned the unit off?

Offline JDX

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
The AS-Si-DB-Y cable reroutes the 2D sonar connections from the unit directly to the XNT transducer (the HD Si transducer’s 2D sonar is not even connected to the unit).
Thanks Greg that cleared that up.
It was obvious input error on the user for the lack of recording.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo