Author Topic: question on the Best MicroSD card to use in my new Helix 7 SI GPS  (Read 19070 times)

Offline yukonjack

• Fish, Eat, Sleep, Repeat!!
  • Unit(s): Helix 7 SI GPS
  • Accessories: Xhs 9 HDSI 180 T, XTM 9 HDSI 180 T
I Have purchased two HB Helix 7 SI GPS for my Lund 18 ProV tiller, transom and bow mount trolling motor. My question is on the best Micro SD chip to buy?? I prefer SanDisk,  I read several articles through the different forums and I see some recommending 4gb or higher and some saying the ultra or Extreme chip.  The biggest thing I need these for is move Waypoints back and forth between them on occasion because of no ethernet.  I am going to download my Lowrance waypoints on my SD card and run them through the Humminbird converter I downloaded to my PC and then upload to the MicroSD to put in the Helix 7's.  Guess I have not looked yet if with the Helix 7 if I can capture and download screenshots or SI or DI videos on the Helix7.  Not sure if that's something I will want to do.  Hope I have not been to confusing, Just looking for recommendations!

Fish, Eat, Sleep, Repeat! >:D

Offline rbdavis3591

• Unit(s): Helix 9 SI
  • Software: Unknown
  • Accessories: None
Re: question on the Best MicroSD card to use in my new Helix 7 SI GPS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 08:18:31 AM »
I am using a SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB UHS-I/ U3 Micro SDXC Memory Card in my Helix. While not near to filling up the memory card I use the card to save my tracks, sonar recordings, waypoints, and snapshots. I then take the card and insert it into a SDXC card reader and save those files into their own sub-folder under the Matrix, Record, and Snapshot folder. Doing it this way I have all of my recordings and can identify what was the date of the recording.

For example yesterday I created in each of the Matrix, Record, and Snapshot folder a sub-folder titled "20160317" and moved the files into those folders. I also copy those same folders/sub-folders onto my PC to use with other programs such as HumViewer to look at the sonar and side imaging file.

Doing it this way I also have the files located in two different location in case there is a problem with the memory card or the PC.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DM1BDPK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

http://humviewer.cm-johansen.dk/

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »
I am using a SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB UHS-I/ U3 Micro SDXC Memory Card in my Helix. While not near to filling up the memory card I use the card to save my tracks, sonar recordings, waypoints, and snapshots. I then take the card and insert it into a SDXC card reader and save those files into their own sub-folder under the Matrix, Record, and Snapshot folder. Doing it this way I have all of my recordings and can identify what was the date of the recording.

For example yesterday I created in each of the Matrix, Record, and Snapshot folder a sub-folder titled "20160317" and moved the files into those folders. I also copy those same folders/sub-folders onto my PC to use with other programs such as HumViewer to look at the sonar and side imaging file.

Doing it this way I also have the files located in two different location in case there is a problem with the memory card or the PC.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DM1BDPK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

http://humviewer.cm-johansen.dk/

Well this is interesting ...

It was my understanding from HB themselves that the HB units could not use the SDXC ...but only the SD  and SDHC ...
-----

My only other advice to Yukon would be to get the fastest write speed card you can afford (price goes up when write speed goes up) ...

Taking a screenshot on the HB unit freezes the live screen update until the data is written directly to the SD Card ...

A faster write speed SD Card will allow the unit to write the screenshot to the SD Card and return the display to live Sonar quicker so you don't miss as much live Sonar data scrolling on the display ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:46:06 AM by rnvinc »

Offline rbdavis3591

• Unit(s): Helix 9 SI
  • Software: Unknown
  • Accessories: None
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »
Well this is interesting ...

It was my understanding from HB themselves that the HB units could not use the SDXC ...but only the SD  and SDHC ...
-----
Good thing nobody told me otherwise it might not have worked in my Humminbird Helix 5 SI GPS for the 9 months I have been using it. I would assume that Humminbird would not degrade the Helix 7 SD card specification from the Helix 5's. ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo