Author Topic: 597 and Mercmonitor  (Read 2709 times)

Offline javicadena

• Aim for the sun,so you can hit the top of mountain
  • Unit(s): 597 ci Combo
597 and Mercmonitor
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »
I have just joined the forum, so please excuse any "deviations" from standard protocol for this forum. i.e if I posted the question in the wrong part of the forum.   I recently changed my old 535 for a 597 ci combo.  Installed it using the same mounting bracket and love it.  However, I would like to use some of the additional features, like using the data output of GPS to my mercmonitor gauge.  I have a 2011 Mercury Verado, with the mercmonitor and I cannot find any documents on the Humming Bird website regarding connecting it to external instruments.  Does anybody have experience doing this?  The Mercmonitor is NMEA 2K compatible and should be able to take in the data from the 597.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 597 and Mercmonitor
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:50:03 PM »
The 597ci unit does not have an NMEA 2000 output.
The only way that this might work (and I stress the MIGHT part), would be to use the NMEA 0183 output from the unit and send it through an NMEA 0183 to NMEA 200 converter.  It’s been years since I looked for one of these on the web but they were around at one time.  You will need the AS-HHGPS cable to get the NMEA 0183 output from your 597 unit.  After that you are on your own and I cannot in any way guarantee that it will work.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo