Author Topic: Broke transducer mounting bracket  (Read 10564 times)

Offline Piscivorous Pike

• <; )}}}}>< I fish therfore I am...
  • Unit(s): 798CI
  • Software: 4.620
  • Accessories: weathersense, voltage regulator
Broke transducer mounting bracket
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:35:44 PM »
:P IT IS MADE OF PLASTIC ! YUK !   :o
I had two brackets shipped 2 day shipping to me and have the boat ready to go for the week end now. Repaired it the evening, 9/16.

I suggested the Arizona heat degraded the plastic, the young woman, polite and helpful, I have spoken with her before, suggested that Alabama is hot too. She is very helpful and has good customer service habits. I believe she is an asset to HB. They need to keep her. But she thought Alabama was hot like Arizona. Poor girl, who mislead her anyway?

NO WAY! Humid maybe but AL does not get a run of high temps like this summer here. I assure you that under the cover that boat sat at daily temps of 150 degrees F or more as that aluminum heated up.

AH HA! I think I see the problem. The new brackets come with a transducer plug or spacer that goes between the mounting ears. The original mount did not have that. Although it only stops the rooster tail and debri from becoming imbedded I believe it also eliminates extensive pressure that the rooster tail puts on the bracket as it is powered through the water. You can see the breaks look like they would be from an area subjected to stress. Combine that stress with a few months of cooking and you can see why a "bump" snapped those ears off.

I will send the broken part back to HB to examine. I had put some Gorilla glue and silicone RTV glue on it as a stop gap before the replacements arrived but they have no affect on the origin of the problem.

Checking your gear with enough time to repair it assures a pleasant trip. I would not spend money like this just to leave it home broken. The whole idea of owning it is to use it and enjoy fishing.

I know folks that never check out their equipment, thay are a "round-to-it. " When they get around to it they fix or repair. Fishing with them or for them is always an improvision!

<; )}}}}>< I fish therefore I am...

Offline Piscivorous Pike

Re: Broke transducer mounting bracket
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:59:13 PM »
Broke another mount, Darn things are weak plastic.

The transducer was always unsnapping and folding back under power, max speed 19 mph!  So using the center screw hole I put a SS screw through to the block. The head was large enough, I'llsay it vibrated and punched a ring out that still is on the screw leaving a larger hole in the mount!

It never hit anything, just pressure from water under power at 19 mph at best. 

I wish they would use a system like the old 3d Matrix mount.  Now that was study!!

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:14:55 AM »
Pike, you might consider a Johnny Ray transducer mount.  We use that and it is really secure. Keep in mind that hitting something with the ducer could cause problems. but the JR is a great mounting bracket. 
You can adapt this for a transom mount. 
Chuck
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:19:52 AM by sonar2000 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:52:52 AM »
You could also look at using the XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transducer.  It uses the same mount as the Matrix 3D transducer did.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Piscivorous Pike

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »
You could also look at using the XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transducer.  It uses the same mount as the Matrix 3D transducer did.

Looks expensive, $233, but both of you have stimulated an idea, I will look in the Junque box(junque is the good left overs, junk is ordinary so so stuff.)  I may have an old matrix mount.  I can modify it the Johnny mount gave me an idea.

Today was not sonar day again.  I found the door for the SD card on the boat deck.  Also was a cross steel pin and a black plastic round seal of some sort.

I love what it can do. But this week I got a broken  mount, a broken SD card door, and some thing wrong with the software.  Last month I found whole bezel was broken in two in a corner  (HB did immediatley remedy that, good for them!).  And the late snows ruined the fishing, 4 fish all week where

Thank you for all the help and suggestions .  Logging off and headed back south, 1400 mile drive tomorrow!!!!!

I usually take 50-60.

Think HB will ever offer a unit that plugs into a flat screen like any other computer so you can see all the data?  That 798 screen is impossible to see  when running the combo si/down and sonar view

I drive past 3 SPORTSMAN' WAREHOUSE STORES, ONE BASS PRO AND TWO CABELAS!!!Bet this travel will cost more than the gas!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo