Author Topic: What All Will I Need To Install 1198c SI for 2 Transducers and Switch box??  (Read 6179 times)

Offline slabbandit

I have a Stick Steering alum. rig and want to install one 1198c SI and a transom and trolling motor transducer. I also want to install a transducer switch box like I use now on My Eagle Ultra Classic. I will be installing the trolling motor transducer onto a Minn-Kota 24 volt 70 Thrust Variable Speed with built in Maximizer.
 What are the Item numbers of the things that I will need for this type of installation and what can I do about any expected interference from the trolling motor. I really only need 2D and DI on the Trolling Motor as I will be moving slowly over the man made structures. Will consider SI Transducer here too if it would be beneficial.
 Thanks

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
If I was you, I'd install the 1198 on the console with the transom
SI transducer first, and get those dialed in.
That will take you some time.  You may have to move the transducer around
a bit to get the very best performance out of it.
Some people worry about high speed depth readings.  You may or may not be
one of those, but if you are, you may have to get a thru-hull transducer for that.

You can't just bolt this stuff up quickly and expect to get the very best from it.

With this initial set-up you can check for any interference with
other electrical devices on your boat.

After you get some experience on the water with that set-up,
then start thinking about the trolling motor transducer and switch.
Then, you can start to deal with interference issues (if any), caused by the
trolling motor.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
ITG has given you some very good advise slabbandit.

While you are learning to use your 1198c Si unit and getting it all dialed in you can think over your trolling motor transducer options.  You can add the second transducer and switch at any time.  First off; to get Di sonar off the trolling motor, you will have to install an Si transducer for the 1198 unit.  This is where your options come in because we do not have a trolling motor HDSi transducer per se, but this gets explained below:

Option #1 – XTM-9-HDSi-180-T Trolling Motor mounted High Definition Side Imaging (HDSi) transducer.  This is really the same transom mount transducer that comes with the 1198 unit except that it has hardware that allows it to be adapted to mount to the trolling motor.  This adapter offers no protection to the transducer.

Option #2 – XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transom mounted HDSi transducer plus an adapter bracket from another company.  Often these adapter brackets from other companies help protect the transducer while also adapting it for trolling motor use.  The companies I know of are: Transducer Shield & Saver, Transducer Armor and Raptor.  Many feel that the added expense of these adapters is worth the protection it gives the trolling motor mounted transducer.

For either option you will need the TS3 Transducer Switch to be able to select either the transom or trolling motor mounted transducer.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo