Author Topic: Down Imaging of 2011 DI 500-700 series models VS Down Imaging of 700-1100 series  (Read 17802 times)

Offline CHOOhonets

• Unit(s): 998 HD SI
  • Software: 6.49
  • Accessories: AS SI LR Y cable
Is it possible that Down Imaging of new DI models is better than Down Imaging of bigger and more expensive older models?
Have someone tested that already?

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
Wayne wrote some explanation about this somewhere here in the forum. I was about pixels and resolution on the smaller displays.

Check if you can find it using the search function.

Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
I think that depends on what you mean as “better”.

If you want more pixels per square inch than you have to look at the smaller 5-inch display units one of which is the 798 which has the Di sonar derived from the Si sonar. 

This last bit is what I think you are meaning:
Is the new single beam Di sonar better than the Di sonar derived from the two Si element Si sonar?

Again; depends on what you mean as “better”.  If you are looking for a clear Di sonar image than I would guess that you would prefer the newer single beam Di sonar.  If you want to be able to look at a wider area of coverage or even chose between Di sonar from a wider or narrower area than the Di sonar that is derived from the two Si elements is what you would prefer.

New single beam Di sonar units for 2011 (existing units are not able to be upgraded):
788ci HD Di
597ci HD Di
596c HD Di
570 Di

Units that use the two Si sonar beams to derive the Di sonar:
797c Si
797ci Si
798c Si
798ci Si
898c Si
981c Si
987c Si
997c Si
998c Si
1198c Si
1197c Si
(Includes NVB and International “X” versions of the units listed)
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline CHOOhonets

• Unit(s): 998 HD SI
  • Software: 6.49
  • Accessories: AS SI LR Y cable
Thank you so much, Greg!
"Is the new single beam Di sonar better than the Di sonar derived from the two Si element Si sonar" - that is exactly what I meant, and especially in terms of "a clear Di sonar image" which you admit single beam DI sonars are better in.

So we have an interesting situation here - 597ci HD Di for 700$ gives us a clearer DI image than, say, 1198 for 2700$. It is obvious that Humminbird should think about how to get "best of both worlds" for its top models. As far as I understand they should somehow integrate the new single beam Di in Side Imaging transducer. ::)

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
I don’t think that we could do that without adding the software to the unit so it could use the newer XNT-9-Di-T transducer and also adding this as another selection in the Transducer Select menu.  Than it could be used just like the QuadraBeam: change Transducer Select menu setting and toggle the Transducer switch (TS2-W).

I do not think that we could simply plug the XNT-9-Di-T transducer up (even if it is to a new splitter cable) and than add a new View in the units through software.

You do realize that a single beam Di sonar is nothing more than a 2D sonar beam that is very wide left-to-right but very narrow front-to-rear and therefore cannot give you any directional information, don’t you?

Offline nater

• Unit(s): 788ci
I was just looking into upgrading to a 788 with down imaging but then I noticed I could get the 798 si for the same price.  How much different is the down imaging between the new transducer and the "derived" down imaging with the side imaging units?  Are there any screenshots of this differance at all? 

I'd probably lean towards the side imaging unit because of the flexability even if there is some decreasing accurcy as long its not too bad.  I doubt it is but just curious.

Nate

Offline Daniele_Mari

• Italy B.A.S.S. Federation Nation
  • Unit(s): 798ci SI Combo
  • Software: 4.960
Let me understand Greg please.
Could I use the new ducer DI on my 798 cxi with the help of a switch ?

And, could I use it as a through-hull installation ?

It could be interesting.

What is the maximum speed I can achive good images ?

Thanks

Daniele

Daniele from Italy

www.italybass.com

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Nate,
There is some differences in the Di sonar derived from the Si sonar and the new DI sonar.  I don’t have any on the water screen snapshots to post though that directly compare them.  If someone does this though they need to include screen snapshots from all three Down Imaging Beam Width menu settings on the Si unit.  I can tell you that the new DI will look cleaner as it uses only one transducer element to form the image you see on the display.

I would lean towards the Si unit due to the greater sonar capability, especially in being able to determine directional information from the sonar.

Daniele,
Yes you could use it as it will physically plug into the 798cXi unit.  It will not function the same though as your unit will not have the programming to correctly use this transducer.  Also, if any of the transducer connections on the 798 are not connected to the XNT-9-DI-T transducer; you run the risk of damaging the transmitter in the 798 unit (Although I was looking at one of these transducers less than 30 minutes ago I did not think to look at the connector…).

Yes you could use the XNT-9-DI-T as an inside-the-hull installation but there is a second DI transducer that will be made for this (I haven’t seen one yet): XIH-9-DI-T.

Maximum speed to achieve good images on the new DI sonar would be limited to however fast your boat can go and still have air bubble free water flow over the face of the transducer.  This is basically just a very narrow (front-to-back) 2D sonar beam.

Offline Daniele_Mari

• Italy B.A.S.S. Federation Nation
  • Unit(s): 798ci SI Combo
  • Software: 4.960
That sounds good Greg. Except for the possibility to damage the 798. I'd like to try that ducer.
Let me know any further new as soon as you can , please.

Thanks
Daniele from Italy

www.italybass.com

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
I will try and remember but suggest instead that you prompt me on this in a few weeks as I get very busy here and often forget things!  ::)

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
It is not the work it is your age........ ::)... :P

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
It is not the work it is your age........ ::)... :P

That may be true Chuck, but I think it was the work (and my sons) that made me age!  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo