Author Topic: Losing depth at high speed  (Read 8582 times)

Offline hvychev77

• Unit(s): 998HD SI
  • Software: none
  • Accessories: none
Losing depth at high speed
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:40:04 PM »
Hi all, new to the forum here. I just installed a 998 HD Si on my flat bottom john boat. The boat i have is a Triton Ambush 18 foot with a 90 merc on it. Went out for the first time with the HB yesterday and of course i was blown away at the images. I love everything about it except one thing, at slower speeds i can maintain my depth, when i get her up on plane it pretty much just gives way inaccurate readings as far as depth is concerned. I know i installed the ducer exactly as instructed. I'm curious as if others on here have this issue? I do not want to buy an alumaducer for this. I'm sure i just need to make an adjustment, i'm just curious as to whether you guys think that it's too low, too high, not tilted down far enough or any help would be appreciated. sorry for having to tweek your neck lookin' at the pics. I didn't think about it when i took 'em. thanks in advance.

hvychev77

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Re: Losing depth at high speed
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »
Dont see anything wrong with the install. The HBSI transducers are known for losing depth and SI at speed above trolling..

Chuck

Offline hvychev77

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Sonar, thanks for the reply. I see you're at Kerr Lake. I do alot of fishing there myself. I catfish and crappie fish on the upper end alot near Clarksville. I usually head up rivers in the spring for some of those big 'ol flatheads. that's the reason i'm so keen on getting this unit right, cause it can get skethy on ya real quick in those waters. Thanks again.

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »
hvychev77

I had the same problem with my boat.
     I was able to correct it by lowering the back of the transducer. Just pivot it down.
     Do it in small increments. 1/4 inch at a time. Didn't take to much.
     After several failed attempts to attach a picture, here's a link to what I ended up with.
     Scroll down to near the bottom. I know it's not a great shot, but hope you get the idea.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=4764.msg29554;topicseen#new

Another suggestion is to use only the 2D view while your trying to dial it in.

Mike

Offline reddog

• My pictures
  • Unit(s): 2)997 C SI, 788CI, 787C2, 1197 1198
  • Accessories: Ipilot Link
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 11:12:44 PM »
I think you may be too close to the strut on the right, and it is disrupting the smooth flow of water across the transducer..

I think you may also be just a tad too deep, but that shouldnt affect high speed..

slight adjustments go a long ways...  Keep tweaking it in its current position, before moving it..

I know its a pain to test, load, adjust, test, load, adjust,etc  but in the end, you will be glad you took the time..
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:14:39 PM by reddog »
Hate to see her go, but love to watch her leave.

Offline hvychev77

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 05:34:31 AM »
thanks for the replies everyone. I have already pivoted it down a little bit, i figured i'd do that adjustment first and see what we come up with. I have already planned to take it to the lake with a sack of tools this weekend so i can get it right. lucky for me this isn't a busy lake so i can just leave the truck parked with trailer in the water each time i launch so i can test it out. I'll update it when i get it dialed in.....thanks again everyone.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 08:03:12 AM »
Be sure to let us know the results so others can learn.
At least we are getting some water back in the lake... ;D
Chuck

Offline reddog

• My pictures
  • Unit(s): 2)997 C SI, 788CI, 787C2, 1197 1198
  • Accessories: Ipilot Link
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 08:27:51 AM »
These are not your conventional high speed skimmer style transducers..  the only require enough tilt to keep the water stuck to the face.  Too much tilt, and you will get a big rooster tail, and if theres enough speed/force involved,  the bracket will release and the ducer will flip up.

You want good clean water to wash the face of the transducer....  not "scrub" it..

Hate to see her go, but love to watch her leave.

Offline hvychev77

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
i was thinking Kerr wasn't gonna get any water before spider rigging time came. i'm glad to see the rain though. so, i have tilted my ducer down just a smidge. it looked really flat to me. depends on the weather this weekend as to whether or not i give it a try. i will certainly update my results. thanks for all the replies everyone.

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 05:36:03 PM »
Lake should be good this weekend.  303+ today. However our temps are looking mighty low for the week ahead. 
You might consider adding a second transducer (puck type) for depths reading while planeing.. Especially around Clarksville.
It does cost a bit to do this and the options for transducers are shoot thru the hull (but you lose some signal) or a mount thru the hull (which means making a hole in the bottom of your boat). And of course a wye cable. Since you know the lake pretty well you might get by with the loss of depth at plane and drop back to slow when you get around the buoys or shore...

chuck

Offline jbailey

• Unit(s): 788ci
  • Software: 6.3
  • Accessories: quad beam,speed tempsens,
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »
Hi I am having the same problem with my 788 with the optional quadbeam. anything over trolling speed and the depth goes crazy. I have heard that combining a 2d with a y connector mounted inside the hull will solve this problem. I also heard someone mention that it is possible to appoxxy a quad or a di transom mount inside the hull like a shoot thru(not sure about aluminum hull). My question is could i use the original dual beam that came with the unit as a shoot thru by glueing it to the inside of the hull

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »
Yes you could but not if it is an aluminum boat.  You would have to look at the AlumaDucer if you have an aluminum boat.
I would try adjusting your QuadraBeam transducer first.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline jbailey

• Unit(s): 788ci
  • Software: 6.3
  • Accessories: quad beam,speed tempsens,
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 07:08:02 PM »
thanks i will try to adjust my quad.

Offline Justins

• Unit(s): 597 998si
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »
I had the same problem and on a post here someone mentioned to increase the surface clutter. No more issues with loosing bottom reading at speed and in the chop. Can't remember how much I increased the setting but it wasn't much.

Hope this helps

Offline hvychev77

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »
ok guys, so i made a trip back to the lake today, and unfortunately, not much better. seems to hold depth around 20mph, but if i turn the wheel any, or speed up i lose depth again. i did reload the boat multiple times, raised the ducer, tilted it down a little and tried again but no different. i ended up with it being a little lower than bottom of the boat, with a very slight tilt down (and i do mean very slight). i'm thinking i will end up going with a shoot through ducer just to keep depth at high speed but will try the surface clutter adjustment that's mentioned here as well. thanks again guys, sorry i don't have any better results. I'm beginning to develop the opinion that these transducers just aren't built for high speeds.....oh well. thanks again for all the input. cheers, hvychev77

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo