Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Helix Series Units / Re: Helix 7 MSI /9 MSI+ G4
« Last post by rnvinc on April 09, 2024, 07:06:37 PM »
I see you also posted in the Software Downloads sub forum  ... maybe someone will pop in with experience that can advise your query  ...

Rickie
Software Downloads / Re: Custom Charts and Lake mapping FREEWARE
« Last post by Kenai on April 09, 2024, 03:04:59 PM »
In case, someone is still interested in this project. I'm still using HBTrackMapper_V20a. I have 598 unit. Currently, I'm planing to upgrade to Helix, and I'm also interested if someone can confirm this is still working on new units.
« Last post by Kenai on April 09, 2024, 08:41:30 AM »
Many thanks for answers.
Very good point with that DI, I did not know that. I assume that means no clear DI, when drifting sideways, and also the DI cone angle will be different. Do you think that is worth paying an extra 30% ? Does it actually make any difference in transom use ?
To my point 3.  I'm located in EU Slovakia and I fish mainly on one small lake (185 acre). I already made a nice map of my lake using HBTrackMapper_V20a http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=6040.msg58362#msg58362. So no point for buying any extra map for me, at least I hope. It depends if Helix has capability of showing uploaded tracks with color by depth option and If the depth range is adjustable for equivalent color range. Right now I use 0-50ft scale for my map on 598. Here you can see that partial created map on my 598. I don't have any newer pics. So if this is not possible on Helix it will be a dealbreaker for me. I don't want to start 2-3 weeks of mapping again and also pay for AutoChart to get what I already have. That's all only if it AutoChart will work on US domestic unit in EU and I can somehow get EU zero lines card, if that even exists. Also, that means losing recording capability on helix (single SD slot).

So If no HBTrackMapper_V20a maps, no new Helix for me. It will be Garmin, regardless of my aversion for that company.

PS: Does anyone have any recording from Helix to share with me. I will be happy to see real data from that unit in HumViewer.
Thanks
« Last post by rnvinc on April 08, 2024, 09:11:02 PM »
Hi all.
I'm finally decided to upgrade fish finder for my AL 12ft V hull boat from my old 598CI HD SI unit. I fish only on shallow lakes and rivers  (up to 50ft). It looks like I will go with Helix 7 or 9 4G. No plans for live or 360 or networking, so I plane to go with whatever model I get a better deal on.

However, I have a few unanswered questions about those units.
1. Are really those units the same resolution, so the difference is only in pixel density?  (9 have bigger pixels) Is it any advantage when using it in the console?
2. Mega and Mega+ practical difference. I can't find comparison online, just some demo pictures from HB. Do you guys have any real recorded footage to share?
3. Are those Helix units compatible with maps made in HBTrackMapper_V20a in other words supporting color by depth.
4. 598 will be moved to the bow on the trolling motor. If I somehow manage to DIY that transducer to my Endura 34 modified to bow mount.  :-\ I plan to use it only for vertical fishing with 2D sonar.
5. Should I consider some other unit, Helix 8 MSI+, Helix 9 MSI G3, Helix 7 SI, Helix 7 MSI G3, Helix 7 MSI G4N, or even some legacy units from ebay 1198c si maybe ?

6. Something I missed or should consider ?

Thanks for any advice.

1. Yes pixel density is the difference  ... not that much difference that the eye can discern  ...

2. HB advertises “+” as being more powerful and 30% more detail  ... not that much difference that the eye can discern  ...

3. LakeMaster mapping for HB does have depth shading  ... 4 shades I think from white to blue. (I also think the new LakeMaster VX cards offer more levels of depth shading  ...

4. Good plan

5. Note that none of the HELIX 7 SI units in any generation have dedicated DI. The DI image is a computer generated DI image by combining the left and right SI data  ... this is also the case with HELIX 5 SI units and all older core SI units  ...

6. G4N units will be serviceable longer and software upgradable longer  ...

Rickie

Helix Series Units / Helix 7 MSI /9 MSI+ G4
« Last post by Kenai on April 08, 2024, 06:53:32 PM »
Hi all.
I'm finally decided to upgrade fish finder for my AL 12ft V hull boat from my old 598CI HD SI unit. I fish only on shallow lakes and rivers  (up to 50ft). It looks like I will go with Helix 7 or 9 4G. No plans for live or 360 or networking, so I plane to go with whatever model I get a better deal on.

However, I have a few unanswered questions about those units.
1. Are really those units the same resolution, so the difference is only in pixel density?  (9 have bigger pixels) Is it any advantage when using it in the console?
2. Mega and Mega+ practical difference. I can't find comparison online, just some demo pictures from HB. Do you guys have any real recorded footage to share?
3. Are those Helix units compatible with maps made in HBTrackMapper_V20a in other words supporting color by depth.
4. 598 will be moved to the bow on the trolling motor. If I somehow manage to DIY that transducer to my Endura 34 modified to bow mount.  :-\ I plan to use it only for vertical fishing with 2D sonar.
5. Should I consider some other unit, Helix 8 MSI+, Helix 9 MSI G3, Helix 7 SI, Helix 7 MSI G3, Helix 7 MSI G4N, or even some legacy units from ebay 1198c si maybe ?

6. Something I missed or should consider ?

Thanks for any advice.
Solix / Re: Wiring and Battery Power Questions
« Last post by proskeeterman@comcast.net on April 05, 2024, 09:58:48 AM »
That's what we were thinking too. Thanks very much for verification. Will let you know how it went.
« Last post by rnvinc on April 04, 2024, 06:38:00 PM »
Ok, so you're saying the choice of re-wire (using 10/2ga) is good? The issue  is really about the battery ?

Yes 10/2 gauge dedicated runs to the battery is good for individual units ...

Heavier wire is recommended when making a run from the battery to a dedicated fuse panel that multiple devices would be fed from  ...

Rickie
« Last post by proskeeterman@comcast.net on April 04, 2024, 10:55:29 AM »
Ok, so you're saying the choice of re-wire (using 10/2ga) is good? The issue  is really about the battery ?
997c SI, 998c SI & 999ci HD SI / Re: GPS track problems with 998
« Last post by rnvinc on April 03, 2024, 08:18:36 PM »
The older core units were notorious for weird GPS issues if the current track was allowed to continue to the point of reaching the maximum track point capacity  (50,000 track points IIRC) ... in which case the unit starts overwriting older track points in the current track  ...

If the track is important for future fishing - it might be a good idea to save the current track and then delete current track  ...

This allows access to the saved track in the Waypoints Routes Tracks Menu under the Nav tab  ...

And also allows the unit GPS to function with a new current track  ...
« Last post by rnvinc on April 03, 2024, 08:09:08 PM »
Your plan is valid  with a watchful caveat  ...

If you start to see low voltage on either SOLIX over your normal fishing day - temporarily remove the other accessories from the battery and test another normal fishing day with only the SOLIXs on the battery  ...

If that rectifies low voltage on either SOLIX over the normal fishing day - that’s a good indication to explore adding a second battery for boat accessories  ... leaving only the SOLIXs on the electronics battery  ...

Rickie
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal