Author Topic: What to buy  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Polarbear

What to buy
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »
Hello,
I am looking at buying a humminbird si unit not sure which way to go. Budget says 8 or 7 series, also when purchasing how do you order Quadrabeam. I am in Australia, on average the units a thousand dollars dearer here than buying on the net. So I am planning on buying on the net. Advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Polarbear

Offline Enufzed

• Enufzed
  • Oh happy days !!
  • Unit(s): 898cx SI
  • Software: V 6.180
  • Accessories: SanDisk 8GB Extreme III SDHC 30mg
Re: What to buy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »
Hi Polarbear,

I faced the same decision living in Australia but opted for buying here and the 898cx Si, the bigger the screen size the better even if it means digging into the pocket a bit deeper and going 11 series. As far as Quadrabeam goes I would buy the unit first as is and then determine whether you really need the Q-Beam.
The warranty (standard two years) and being metric measurement  made the final decision and if you ever have any problems if you buy the Non International model the unit will have to go back to the U.S. for repair/warranty and you will be responsible for the postage security and cost (both ways) and its not cheap.

I am SUPER happy with the 898cx Si and will be more so with the next software update. Have learnt heaps on this site from the boys who contribute and watching Youtube videos by Doug Vahrenberg  http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/Videos.html and installing a setup to run HB on  office desk.

Geoff
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:20:45 PM by Enufzed »
Old fishos never die: they just smell that way

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »
Polarbear

First off, if you purchase a U.S. system the unit will show everything in Feet, Miles, etc., it will not be metric plus not sure but think there is an issue with the GPS.  Sure that others will advise you on this.

In what to purchase, is to purchase the largest size screen you can afford. 

George
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:17:14 AM by George »

Offline T.G

• Unit(s): 898si
  • Software: v 6.180
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »
hi i totally agree with Enufzed,sending it back if there were any problems would be a massive hassle i think,i ended up getting one here in aus as well, i got the 898 & could not be happier with it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:22:23 PM by T.G »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal