Author Topic: Missing H-Bomb off Georgia coast, Science channel  (Read 12935 times)

Offline homestea

Missing H-Bomb off Georgia coast, Science channel
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:09:37 AM »
Hello Guys, I ran across an interesting show on the science channel last night titled "America's Lost H-Bomb" .  Supposedly a H-bomb was lost off of an aircraft in the late 50's.  The show followed along an ill prepared boat (with no humminbird side imaging) to try and find the missing bomb. The sent divers down at several known "snag" points to see if the bomb was there with no luck in finding it.  I think a humminbird unit, may be able to help in the search (hint hint Georgia members), although the bomb is now likely burried deep in the muddy bottom.  The show is on again today and tomorrow if you are interested, it is definatly an interesting show for us sidescanning enthiuasts.

see this site for more info on the incident:
http://www.commondreams.org/views01/0821-05.htm

Offline wizzo86

• diving in phillapenes
Re: Missing H-Bomb off Georgia coast, Science channel
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »
I watched that myself.... Was thinking duhhhhhhh what's wrong with the government!!!! If this was true U would think they would drag a proton mag all over that place to fine it..... IF it's in the muc that's the only way to find it.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 01:29:38 PM »
I’ve watched that program at least twice.  It really “hits home” in more than one way.  Eufaula, Alabama isn’t far enough from Georgia’s east coast and than there’s another not so well known connection… but I’ll let them explain that when the time comes.  :-X

Wizzo I would have thought that they would have been out diving for that bomb before the mud settled.  Makes you wonder what else they have let go all these years?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
  • Unit(s): 1197c SI, 997c SI & 785c2
  • Software: 4.950 & 4.510
  • Accessories: Interlink & GRHA
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 04:10:02 PM »
Too funny!  None the less, as Greg knows,  ;D we have had a Humminbird on the job for some time now.  I was not available for filming when that episode aired, but we did do a follow up episode just a few months ago.  The Humminbird has scanned many miles of the Georgia coast, and will be featured in the next show.  Hopefully, we can find the darn thing soon!

Here is a Boating Magazine shoot they did two years ago.  If you look through the starboard cockpit window, you can just make out my 997c dash mounted.

Robert
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:16:07 AM by RGecy »
Humminbird Guru and Forum Administrator

Offline wizzo86

• diving in phillapenes
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:23:41 PM »
Why am i not surprised you would be involved in it already Robert.... LOL

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »
And I was already wondering, when it will be shown on TV Bob.
Any chance to see this episode on the net? I don't have the science channel over here.

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 02:45:19 AM »
Here is the website and it has a preview. Americas Lost H-Bomb  I have it on DVD.  Maybe I can convert it over to Windows Media or something and put it on here for you guys.

Robert

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 03:49:05 PM »
Wow, that would be cool, as long as you wont get trouble concerning the copyrights!

/ Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 03:56:41 PM »
Shhhhhh! I would not make it public!  Just for a select few!

Offline SeaJay

• Deep South Divers
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 06:45:47 PM »
Thanks, Bobby, for calling my attention to this thread!  :)

I'm SeaJay Bayne - the diver from the TV show, "America's Lost H-Bomb."  I am the lead diver with Project ASSURE, the grassroots organization looking for the Bomb.  Originally, the head of the project was Retired Air Force Colonel Derek Duke.  I became aware of his project seven years ago when his searches - then performed by dragging surplus Geiger counters around on the seabed floor - revealed an area of heightened radiation.  Believing that this may be a signature of the Bomb, he notified "the government," who immediately quarantined the area and did a localized search.  Two years later, a report was issued that said that the area of heightened radiation was naturally-occurring and not the result of an unexploded nuclear bomb.

Meanwhile, since Derek's team was lacking divers, I became closely involved with the project.  I own a commercial diving company in nearby Beaufort, SC.

Over the past seven years, Derek has become involved with other projects and today, I lead Project ASSURE, under the auspices of my company, Deep South Divers.  Bobby Gecy has been literally the "wiz-kid" of the project, and often he and I are the only ones actually out in the water doing a search for the Mk15, Mod 0 nuclear bomb known as the "Tybee Bomb."  Any successes we've had to date can pretty much be attributed to him, his 997c, and his thorough understanding of the way it works. 

I'm thrilled to meet y'all.  :)  What would you like to know?

Oh...  And copyrights...  Mark Marabella (producer) is kind of a pain about them, but since the show's been airing over the past two years, I don't think he'd have too much of an issue with sharing amongst a few friends...  :)  Would you mind if I got a copy, too?  I tried to .wmv the DVD the other day and wasn't able to do it...  You're the "wiz-kid," Bobby...  :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:49:20 PM by SeaJay »
"There is no nobility in leaving artifacts on the bottom of the sea, for she is brutally efficient at erasing history forever.  The wreck diver is the dead’s only hope of being remembered."

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 09:05:43 PM »
I am still trying to figure out who "Bobby" is!  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the post!

"Robert"

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 05:28:56 AM »
Oh Bob, I just don't believe it!!
That's your son  ::) !!!  ;D

Hello SeaJay and welcome to the forum!
Very interesting story and a noble quest to go for. I already talked with "Bobby" about it: Just be careful and make sure that it is safe to dive there. This nuclear stuff isn't as easy to handle as a regular EOD job.

What I don't understand is that the government isn't going for the bomb with newer technologies. Why are they leaving this bomb in days where terrorists are looking to get their hands on devices like this?
I don't remember which author wrote the novel in the 80s about the Jap guy going nuts and fly a 747 into the congress building. It was either Tom Clancy or Steven Koontz. But it was Tom Clancy who wrote the novel about the Arab farmer who found a Israeli bomb in his garden and that went into the wrong hands. That's fiction until now. But it was also fiction about the 747 and 9/11 came hard and true. Hopefully this will not happen with the missing bomb.

I hope you'll have success in your search and get the bomb before someone else gets it. I also hope that your efforts will be rewarded and appreciated by the authorities (but not just a thanks and a handshake!). In my opinion it's people like you who make the difference in the community nowadays. People who do not just look away and think: "It's not my business, so screw it! Let someone else get his hands dirty..."

Good luck and keep us updated!

Regards and best wishes from Germany
Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline wizzo86

• diving in phillapenes
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 11:03:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum seajay!!! Always great to have another diver join us... looking forward to your imput....

Offline RGecy

• Administrator
    • SideImagingSoft.com
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 04:56:30 PM »
wizzo,

You would get a long great with SeaJay.  He is a very technical diver and very safe.  I am the cavalier one who likes wreck diving in 2-3' of vis! Albeit in only 30' of water! He has more deep dives and has done some pretty interesting stuff.  The deep stuff is just not for me!

Robert

Offline wizzo86

• diving in phillapenes
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 12:00:32 PM »
LOL I've always said i would rather have more bottom time diving shallow..... But if the gold is there I'll cave an go deep..... But i'm with ya there. Rather dive shallow an look an dig for an hour an half.....

IRC Kevin

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 09:10:49 AM »
Welcome, SeaJay. This is a fantastic thread. I remember seeing the original programme on Discovery a couple of years ago, but the update hasn't reached these shores yet. Really looking forward to it.
regards,
Kevin

Offline StrikeBack

• StrikeBack Tackle
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 01:02:55 PM »
If it is on the surface of the bottom then the Humminbird may well find it, but if it is buried in the mud then you need a much much lower frequency to penetrate the mud.
StrikeBack Tackle
Humminbird Dealer
Australia

Offline SeaJay

• Deep South Divers
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »
Heh.  :)  Sorry, I meant "Robert."  :)  To me, "Robert" is my buddy, so in my South Carolina way, that warrants calling him "Bobby."  Hope I didn't embarass you, bud.  :)

Thanks for the welcome, fellas.  I've uploaded a profile picture (a picture of me posing after a recent dive with one of ROBERT's finds of the day - a late 1800's "dispensary" bottle worth a pretty penny) and updated my profile a bit so I can feel like I belong and y'all can see on Google Maps where to come if you want to beat me up or get your tanks filled or chill and have a beer.  :)

You're completely right about the Bomb and this situation...  In an age of terrorist activity, it should be government priority to control all weapons-grade Uranium (the definition of "weapons of mass destruction").  And since there's 1200 pounds of it conveniently placed near the US's most populated coast, I would think that the classification "Irretreivably Lost" would be reconsidered as "Try Harder and Look Some More."

Bobby...  Did you manage to .wmv or .mpg that DVD?  These guys should see the show, if they haven't already.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:41:06 AM by SeaJay »
"There is no nobility in leaving artifacts on the bottom of the sea, for she is brutally efficient at erasing history forever.  The wreck diver is the dead’s only hope of being remembered."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo