Author Topic: 899CI SI Can't see I-Link Terrova  (Read 15455 times)

Offline georgejr

• Family, Farming, and Fishing/Hunting sums me up.
  • Unit(s): 899ci SI
899CI SI Can't see I-Link Terrova
« on: June 04, 2014, 11:51:15 PM »
Terrova I-Pilot with I-link came with 30 ethernet cable which I connected and purchased the 1 ft cable to go from Round Ethernet to the Ethernet port on the back of the 899 (Humminbird Ethernet Adapter Cable).  So I connected this evening (just upgraded to the latest Firmware on the 899 7.02 I believe it was) turned the Terrova on and deployed went to the view button and scrolled to the page that shows what is and isn't connected.  It lists I-Pilot as not connected.  I have a MAC address and a IP address on the previous screen.  I double checked all three connectors 1 by Terrova, 1 by Humminbird 899 and the back of the 899 and rebooted 899 and power cycled the Terrova and waited 5-10 mins each time.  Order I did it was Terrova power up first, Remote on, 899 boot up normal click view to get to system area and accessory test page.  Right now only GPS I think it was shows connected as I only have Terrova/ethernet and power connected (waiting for new transducer HDSI and high speed ducer isn't installed yet).

Any noted problems connecting to i-link with the 899 for others?  Remote shows two arrows but they don't move or show activity just gray in color in case that is a indicator.  Any suggestions?  Figured I would check with this group else call one of the two support numbers in the morning.  Wish they had activity lights like a PC to see if the port is open.  I would send a screen shot but the bugs were eating me up alive.

Setup is simple 1 Terrova and 1 899 with a cable connecting them no switch direct connection.  I don't have any ducers mounted yet or the foot controller for the terrova in case that might have some odd thing to do with it.

Thanks if you can offer any tips.

Offline bobcoy

• Unit(s): 1197 & 1198
  • Software: 6.640 & 7.670
  • Accessories: iPilot-Link,GRHA GPS-HS,ETH 5PS
Re: 899CI SI Can't see I-Link Terrova
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:38:59 AM »
You will have to update you ipilot controller and remote.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:19:15 AM »
First I think he has to get the unit to recognize the i-Pilot Link bobcoy.

georgejr,
When you power on the 899 unit, is it going onto the Normal operating mode or is it going into the point-of-purchase Simulator mode?
If it is the latter, try forcing the unit into the Normal operating mode by powering it on, and while the unit is still showing the title splash screen (“Humminbird 898c Si”) press the MENU button.  Highlight “NORMAL” and activate it by pressing the right arrow key.  See if your unit recognizes the i-Pilot Link then.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline georgejr

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:22:41 AM »
Hey Greg, yes normal mode and I was trying to update the terrova / handheld firmware but I did have both updates on the card.  I don't think that is the problem as it didn't "see" the terrova.  I also tried the system screen when you boot up and force to see the same looking screen but have to power down to get out of it and both showed Not Connected.  Again I double checked the connections removed and re-inserted all 3 hoping one wasn't tight or fowled. 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:27:33 AM »
Sounds like either the i-pilot Link is not working or there is a connection issue.  Just to be sure it is not the unit; do you know of anyone with a Humminbird unit that you could test on your i-Pilot Link?  I would hate for you to send in your i-Pilot Link when the problem is in the unit or vice-versa.

Offline georgejr

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »
Well, Called HB support and they are hoping it is a cable issue.  I know of one person that would let me swap head units who has almost the same set-up (989 vs 899) but his 60 miles away but is near are family farm so I might swing down just to figure out what is wrong.  I have a Minnkota authorized service center near me, wondering if I swing by if they would have a cable to swap and verify what is wrong.  Was going to buy new ethernet cable but got to thinking they are sealed so couldn't return if it wasn't the issue.

Side note Greg... Blinky lights are nice to see if you have connections or not.  ;-)  Quick CS question do you see where the ethernet cable goes into your computer (future state HB unit)... Do you see the lights blinking.  NO then you know which 1/2 isn't the problem then cable or the other end.  Oh well I like challenges.  Our farm tractors use RTK guidance for steering (GPS but on steroids for accuracy sub inch repeatable) and connections usually get you, however last season we had a new tractor, new planter and to top it off we switched all our guidance equipment.  1/3 of the day to determine the main globe not the RTK antenna was faulty and they had a loaner to let us get planting till it was replaced under warranty. 

Thanks again for verifying I wasn't missing a easy step.  Hate calling for support but they are so helpful and friendly.  I called prior to ordering the equipment and so far the recommended bow mount has worked great.  I can wait to get it set up... Been sitting on the 899 from January with no boat to install it on.  ;-)  Just got the new boat delivered and crops are in time to fish!

Offline georgejr

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
Anyone live near Appleton, WI?   ::)

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »
Did you have a look at the Member Map?
Link to it is at the top of the page along with the Home, Forums, ... Logout buttons.

Offline georgejr

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 03:05:21 PM »
Looks to be cable related.  By-passed the 30 foot ethernet cable and was able to see it connect and show the software version of the terrova, but then lost it again as I moved it to put in the SD card to upgrade.  They are sending me a new adapter cable to see if the 1 ft adaptor cable is causing the problem.  Thanks again for the help!  I did look and have pinned my location on the member map.  Great feature but so far everyone in the rock'n apple is hiding.  Too worried about giving out those great walleye hot spots I guess. 

Offline newkid4si

• Unit(s): 998c si
  • Software: v 5.70
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 10:15:07 PM »
georgejr

Contact these guys. They may guide you to a contact. Some of the big sticks from the PWT live in Appleton.

APPLETON SCHEELS
            4301 W. WISCONSIN AVE.
            APPLETON, WI  54913

Mike
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:57:44 PM by newkid4si »

Offline aholzhausen01

• Unit(s): 898c SI, Onix 10 CI Combo
  • Software: Onix has 1.150
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »
I moved my 898c SI to a new Lund Fury XL and purchased a Terrova i-Pilot Link for the boat too.  I my first trials to get the i-Pilot link to work I ran into similar problems.  I made several calls to Hummibird support.  They first told me to update my 898 software from 6.740 to the latest (7.090) and then when that didn't work they sent me version 6.640 (older that what I originally had).  In all cases I started the Terrova first and then the 898.  I had an IP address on the 898 but no connection to the i-Pilot.  Eventually Humminbird passed me over to Minn Kota.  At Minn Kota I talked to Mike Kulla.  He confirmed that he thought the problem was in the Minn Kota and possibly the Ethernet extension cable.  I wired the original five foot cable directly to my 898 and still had the same problem.  At that point he proposed to replace the i-Pliot link control head.  In my case, the Terrova i-Pliot Link was new and never communicated with my 898.  I don't know if that is your problem or not.  When I get the new head unit installed I'll report back how it went.  I have to say that Mike Kulla of Minn Kota was very knowledgeable and efficient on the phone.  I was impressed with the quality of service. 

Offline georgejr

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 09:11:53 PM »
Update:  New cable (1 foot adaptor from 899 to ethernet) and connecting direct to the terrova worked and I updated all the software so everything Terrova, IPilot Wireless remote and Humminbird 899 all have the latest.  Figuring all was well I went and connected everything back at the console and no connection to Ipliot.  So I called Humminbird support as it was pushing close to closing time for them today and they had me put back to factory defaults, disconnected and reconnected Ethernet cables and then ripped out the power cable so I could verify it would connect to the terrova directly which it didn't (this surprised me) and I tried several times waiting 3-5 mins each time.  The last poster has me wondering if the Terrova cable/head unit? is the root cause.  At this point Humminbird stated MinnKota would need to troubleshoot the problem I'm thinking of a 3 way call next week so I have both parties just to avoid switching back and forth).  Is this something I can go to a authorized Minn Kota Repair location?  I have one on the other side of town.  So wish connectors had blinking lights so I could tell which end was not working... Hint Hint Hint.  My IT job has me trouble shooting things all the time and w/o being able to tell which unit is not connecting makes it hard for support and myself.  I have had Minn Kota support number on the line but they had me re call humminbird as it appeared to them everything was working on their side.

I have used the Terrova for spot lock and autopilot and works great.  I haven't mounted the transducer yet (Did upgrade to the HDSI over the compact SI ducer thanks to this board) Was going to temporary mount the HDSI on a board to confirm the location and then I have starboard I will flame treat and I have the Lords 2 part epoxy glue to glue the starboard to the transom to mount the unit.  Been really busy at my job and at our family farm so reason other then time this hasn't really upset me to this point. 

I know between the two companies it will get sorted out but right now I'm ready for something to go right.  I have 2 issues right now besides the 899/Terrova marine related on a major new purchase (I also know they are going to make it right) I am working to get resolved where two companies are not sure who's issue it is.  And non Marine example we purchased new thumb for a excavator need it to take down 3 large grain bins so we can grab them for more safety, part number is stamped with the right part number but they attached to the wrong unit.  8 driving hours south of us in Missouri the right thumb with the wrong part number showed up at another location to their surprise as well.  Just one of many examples I have lately where murphy's law has been busy.  End of soap box time to shoot Murphy and start having fun this summer.  8-)  Last spring we had a new planter, new tractor, and new AMS guidance system all from JD.  We swapped out parts till we found the one causing hit and miss problems auto-steering the tractor.  Turned out to be a defective globe and was dropping satellites.  Having new equipment to swap and verify what part was not working and allowing us to use that till the new replacement came back was the level of service we expected.  I don't expect everything to work perfect when new, but having support (which has been great to this point) is key to a long term warm and fussy about your major purchase.  Happy Father Day to those on the board and hope you get your lines wet this weekend.  I will be welding up a thumb and tearing down some bins so as long as I don't roll it on myself hope to get this problem fixed next week.  Thanks again for the tips and suggestions. 

Offline aholzhausen01

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 06:01:44 AM »
I got my replacement Terrova i-Pilot control head from Minn Kota and installed it.  I ran tests with the extension cable and without.  I had the same results with both.   Those results were as follows :

I found that my Humminbird 898c SI was not repeatable at boot up.  About 1/3 of the time I didn't get an IP address.  About 1/3 of the times I rebooted I got an IP address but no connection to the i-Pliot link.  The other times I was lucky enough to get connection.  When this happened I updated the i-Pliot software to the latest version  for both the controller (2.070) and the remote (2.020).  After that and several reboot tries I updated my Humminbird 898c SI software to the latest version (7.090).  All of this was done with the replacement i-Pliot link controller.  I sent the old controller back to Minn Kota.  I'm not sure that it was defective but I know that I sometimes get functionality with this new one.  I thank Mike Kulla at Minn Kota for his support .  Now I will try to use the system and see if the boot instability is a problem I can live with. 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »
aholzhausen, if the new software in the unit did not help, call the Humminbird CRC folks again.

georgejr, If Minn Kota cannot get you any help over the phone call the Humminbird CRC folks back again.

Ask for a Supervisor if you have to and ask that they contact Minn Kota to sort this out.  Both we and Minn Kota are a part of the same Johnson Outdoors family of companies and should be able to get this worked out for the both of you.

Offline georgejr

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »
On my drive today I called Minn Kota and they are sending out a new ipilot/link head to see if that resolves the issue.  Should have it in a few days.  If not only Humminbird 899 left to try which is a send in and wait I'm assuming.  The part that makes me wonder 899 is the fact the IP address just like the other user isn't always coming up which I have noted on several calls as we are troubleshooting the reason it won't connect.  Reboot and that is all it normally takes.  I suspect the Humminbird assigns the IP address if that is the case I'm thinking the humminbird might have a problem.  Sure hope the head fixes it however.  I haven't checked w/o having anything connected to the humminbird either however.  Only on the system screen when troubleshooting. 

Thanks Greg for your help.  I still haven't mounted the transducer but again thanks for taking the time to ID my slightly unique transom for the location.  We are in the middle of ripping down 3 grain bins which are 38 ft in Dia and are around 8k lbs each and awkward.  Then next week I would like things to be set-up and working as we have family flying in/RVing in from both coasts and my brothers family from 1/2 around the world and all are actively making sure they will get some boating time.  This isn't a typical year but then again wouldn't be fun if it was the same year after year what is the challenge in that.

Offline georgejr

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 12:13:16 PM »
Update:  Well new head installed and link was established.  For kicks I re-installed the old one and that one worked.  So I kepted the old one and went out fishing with my youngest son.  Terrova by it self worked but the link didn't...  I'll use that as the excuse as to why my 5 yr old son out fished me and hooked the first walleye we have ever caught (haven't every targeted them either but boy are they yummy).  So next trip I had the new head installed its link was perfect but I forgot to bring the SD card to upgrade to the latest controller firmware (was still on 1.130 I think).  Next morning when I went to upgrade it saw the head and saw a newer version of the software and stated downloading...  Then posted back controler download failed and kept cycling thru these messages for 5-10 mins.  I then pulled the card out after it stated download failed and powered everything off and then turned back on.  Well no learn beap on the terrova and after working with MK support it was assumed the head was bricked and a new head was sent out.  I just now installed the new head.  Was able to upgrade to the latest controller version.  Did a power cycle to get the handheld to learn the new ipilot head and everything appears to be ready to go.  Going skiing tonight but I think I will have the FF take us from the dock to another point and test the I-Link it a bit.  I'm 2 weeks from my beloved vacation that I live for and fingers crossed that all is working correctly now (which at this point I have to believe is the case). 

Site note...  Customer service has been great with MK/HB and at the end of the day I want to remind those looking at this post to note this.  Anyone can sell, not everyone can troubleshoot and/or stand behind what they sell.  I also have a new boat and the dealer and MFG have also been quick to fix anything that wasn't to my liking or was not fit/finish correctly which is a new model roll out and I had it preordered last fall.  So at this point I'm VERY happy with the level of support with everything marine related.  We run a family farm and it takes lots of on board computers to get the crops to grow and when things work it is a real experience to take in how much controllers, navigation, automation can make it easier to put in long hours.  When things are working right or you forgot part of a set-up it is also great to have support you can call/text/email to help you get back to that same level of productivity.  Our tractor navigation previous to last season we had to beg and plead to get rolled back firmware so we could see if the new firmware was the reason we couldn't plant, had to post on the MFG facebook page because they didn't even offer a number for non dealers to call for help and after a quick please IM me the dealers name they deleted the facebook post and never did fix the problem in a timely manner.  Dealer was not the issue, he was told no issues with the firmware and they didn't want to have us roll back.  He told us not to let the MFG know he provided us the previous firmware file and we were back in business.  Guess what after a week later they started getting all kinds of reports of the same issue and had to fix with a quick released upgrade.  The following year we replaced all of our equipment tied to them and have been very happy with the support of our new equipment as needed.  Old Dealer gave us a very fair outright price to buy everything back and if we are ever in the need for his service w/o the MFG we would do it in a heartbeat.  Service is a easy word to spell but not always easy to deliver. 

Offline georgejr

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »
Update;

Appears everything is working with the last i-link/pilot head unit installed and updated, however major test will be next week when we are using it morning and night every day for my week of glory.  Thanks everyone for your help but wanted to update the forum that I was indeed able to get it to work every time I powered both units up.  I sent back the other 2 heads at no cost and prepping boat for its real test up north for a week of waterski/fishing/cards and of course a few drinks!  ;-)

Offline aholzhausen01

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 04:20:21 PM »
I sent my 898 c SI unit in to Humminbird a week and a half ago.  They got it on Monday last week and I got it back today (Tuesday the following week).  That seems about as good a turnaround as can be expected.  I just tested it and it worked correctly the first time.  There was obviously a problem in my unit with ethernet communication.  I didn't get an explanation on what they did but I'm glad it works.  Now finally in August I'll be able to use my i-Pilot Link that I bought this past winter.  Thanks to Humminbird for all of the support they have provided through the process. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo