Author Topic: help with side scan settings  (Read 13455 times)

Offline lolar3288

• Unit(s): 798ci
help with side scan settings
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:56:42 PM »
I just installed my 798 and am trying to learn the proper way to set up the side scan.

On standard sonar you set the gain (sensitivity) up until you have a lot of hash on the screen then reduce it until it displays the targets you are looking for if they are small.

How do you set the side scan sensitivity, contrast, etc.?

I had the unit out yesterday and played with it but with bottom sides always display abd I couldn’t figure if the sensitivity etc. was set correctly.  The water was not clear due to the rain we have had.

Suggestions?

Larry

Offline lcookie

• Unit(s): 998SI/1198SI/788DI/587DI
  • Software: 6.68/6.64/6.64/6.09
  • Accessories: Ethernet, GRHA, ASGPSHS,WeatherSense
Re: help with side scan settings
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
I would start with the sensitivity and contrast around midway.  Check your chart speed and set it to the boat speed (I think this is the single most important setting).  Change color pallots until you find the one best suited for your eyes and the current sun condition.  Run across an area until you find something large (large trees, bridge abutments, etc - brushpiles and small stick ups can be hard to see until you get use to the units) underwater and freeze your screen.  Then change each setting one at a time and little by little until you get the best pic.  There really isn't a catch all set of settings for these things; however, once you get the hang of it you will be able to determine what changes need to be made on the fly and it will become second nature.  Lastly, even on the same body of water on the same day you will have to tweak your settings periodically to keep your display crisp.

Offline lolar3288

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:23:36 PM »
Thanks for the input....I've been in Europe so apologise for taking so long to reply.

Larry

Offline BaitCaster

• Unit(s): 798ci si
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:37:41 AM »
Here's a good thread on setting your sensitivity - http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=682044

Offline Phiznat5000

• Gilman Fishing
  • Unit(s): Piranah Max, 798ci
  • Software: Most Recent
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:23:11 PM »
One other tip I could suggest is setting your SI range based on what you "want" to see. What do I mean? Well the further out you shoot your beam, the more "overall" bottom/structure you will see. But it will crunch the images in a little bit reducing their size slightly. Which you could move your cursor over to obvious structures and use the zoom function. But if you were to reduce the SI range it will stretch the bottom and cover out enlarging them slightly.

You can see this to even greater effect if you set your SI to one side only (either right or left.) This has been a very useful technique for me when I am fishing for panfish. Especially this time of year when they are on and off bed. If my SI range is set to far, I may misinterpret the small pits (or beds) on bottom as something else. Where as if my range was reduced, and I was focusing on one side of the boat I would get more image to look at on my screen. Without having to stop the scan, move my cursor, and then zoom in on that spot. I like to keep my scan moving as the boat combs the area as much as possible.
Go get em!

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 02:37:50 PM »
Here's a good thread on setting your sensitivity - http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=682044

Baitcaster, is is possible to paraphrase the reference information so that guys dont have to switch forums to get the answer. this also helps to promote this forum...
Chuck

Offline lolar3288

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »
One other tip I could suggest is setting your SI range based on what you "want" to see. What do I mean? Well the further out you shoot your beam, the more "overall" bottom/structure you will see. But it will crunch the images in a little bit reducing their size slightly. Which you could move your cursor over to obvious structures and use the zoom function. But if you were to reduce the SI range it will stretch the bottom and cover out enlarging them slightly.

You can see this to even greater effect if you set your SI to one side only (either right or left.) This has been a very useful technique for me when I am fishing for panfish. Especially this time of year when they are on and off bed. If my SI range is set to far, I may misinterpret the small pits (or beds) on bottom as something else. Where as if my range was reduced, and I was focusing on one side of the boat I would get more image to look at on my screen. Without having to stop the scan, move my cursor, and then zoom in on that spot. I like to keep my scan moving as the boat combs the area as much as possible.

Now that I have had some practice with the unit I see what you mean.  Do you sort of have a formula as to how far out you set it compared to depth?  Or how far you would set the side scan for fishing?

What you describe is the same effect usng radar ranges.  The smaller the range the more defined the target and the smaller targets you can pick out.

When you consider that 2 inches of screen = 100 feet........an 1/8 inch is about 6 feet so how do you make out a 2 foot fish?

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »
Settings for side distance is usually 2 to 3 times the depth..
Chuck

Offline calli1

• Unit(s): 1198 S I & 787c2i
  • Accessories: XM Weather & Weather Sense
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 07:07:22 PM »
Here is what I have done and basically taught myself.  I have search Youtube, ask for help on this forum and then played with the unit on the water.  Each day, I set aside time to work and tweak my unit....at the same time learning the unit better.  I learned a long time ago...experience you can't teach.  Even working with your unit in the simulator mode in your driveway or garage.    I like my screen very bright and so I have my setting different than others.  But one thing for sure, once you start to get the hang of using your S I unit, fishing will never be the same.  I have a friend who spend a day on the water with FLW Pro Mark Rose, I think he is a Lowrance man but either way, Mark told him to use, use and use your unit.  I know it has helped me this year...my best ever on catching BIG FISH and plenty more to go.

Offline Phiznat5000

• Gilman Fishing
  • Unit(s): Piranah Max, 798ci
  • Software: Most Recent
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »
Now that I have had some practice with the unit I see what you mean.  Do you sort of have a formula as to how far out you set it compared to depth?  Or how far you would set the side scan for fishing?

What you describe is the same effect usng radar ranges.  The smaller the range the more defined the target and the smaller targets you can pick out.

When you consider that 2 inches of screen = 100 feet........an 1/8 inch is about 6 feet so how do you make out a 2 foot fish?

I dont really have a formula persae. I typically adjust my settings based off the kind of fishing im doing at the moment. Or the kind of fish I may be looking for. For instance, if im looking for anything that will bite a bait. I'll probably just set the side scan out to cover as much of the water around me as I can. Then mark anything that looks interesting. If the panfish are on bed, im typically in shallower water anyway. So I may focus on one side of the bank and narrow in my scans. So any indentations on bottom that could be fish beds will show up more defined. The wish will as well. If the water is really deep, and I wanna home in on something that looks interesting. I will probably just use the zoom feature on the unit since I probably won't be able to stretch the scan (so to speak) in really deep water.

As far as fish size goes, thats harder to tackle on the water. If you took a snapshot or used the record feature, you can export either in to a program called Son2xtf (which you can download off Humminbird's website) - There is a tool in that program that allows you to measure objects from your snapshots/recordings and it will tell you about how long it is etc. Its complete estimation, and some returns may appear larger than they are do to movement. Kind of like a blur of movement on a camera. If the fish is suspended or motionless, the accuracy of size is probably a tad easier to determine. Of course you wont have that luxury on the water. So what I do if it looks like a big fish, is just compare it to something else on screen (if available) - if I see fish in a submerged tree. I will speculate based off how large it is compared to a branch. Something of that nature.

One last thing, the zoom feature works really well if the fish is motionless. Ive seen some monster Alligator gars laying on bottom. And with the zoom feature, have been able to "just" make out shape.
Go get em!

Offline lolar3288

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try.

Larry

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo