Author Topic: New guy needing help with installation  (Read 4810 times)

Offline bigspoon17

• Unit(s): 998c HD SI
New guy needing help with installation
« on: October 15, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
Hi, all! I apologize if im beating a dead horse in regard to installation questions. I have a few firsts here (first boat, first FF, etc), so I want to make sure I get it right. I just purchased a 2000 Hewes Bayfisher 18 and a 998c HD SI. I plan to fish strictly saltwater, and in less than 60' of water 99% of the time, with most of that being sight fishing in less than 5-6' of water. The problem I'm having is (1) finding an appropriate location for the transducer, and (2) whether or not I should go with a separate 2d transducer for reliable bottom readings on plane. I really don't want to go with a thru hull if at all possible, should it be necessary to mount a second transducer for depth on plane.

Here is a picture of the transom:
ila_rendered" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
It is 10" from the right most edge of the strake to theleft edge of the engine mount where it begins to angle in. It is 4" from the rightmost edge of the trim tab to the leftmost edge of the strake. Would either of these locations, or anywhere between the trim tab and the outboard be suitable for the transducer mount? Off course, for SI to work I would need to trim out the motor a bit to get enough clearance for the SI beam, but I think that's doable. If the transom mount won't work, would it be feasible to get a reliable reading from a mount position somewhere in the pocket around the drain? I would think that may not be a good idea for shallow water endeavors.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to entertain them!

Thanks!

Offline jimmythegreek

• Unit(s): 998c SI, 958cHD DI, 596HD, 595cGPS, 565
Re: New guy needing help with installation
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »
if you can get a piece of starboard in that step hull pocket that would be a good spot.  You could also mount on the full side of transom, you may get some turbulance from the step tho so be careful with that.  Regardless use a piece of starboard so u can tweak your installment, you may not need the Y splitter setup if done well, I prefer to go that route just to avoid water spray and the 2D always works better.  Shallow water shouldnt be a problem w the step u can snug it up tight to the hull step I think.  Avoid any molded strakes or anything causing turbulance..........

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 04:08:51 PM »
Welcome to the Humminbird Side Imaging Forums bigspoon17.
Don’t worry about the questions, we have plenty of folks here who are willing to help – even a first timer!

Any chance that you could post a few more pics of your transom?  Maybe a few from the side and at about the same height as the trim tabs?

My first thoughts were that you could maybe get away with mounting it on the back end of the strake but I’m with jimmythegreek and wonder about turbulence coming from that pocket area.  Using the starboard/transducer board is a good idea and would work here as well.  You may just have to install it to find out where works best and I’ve heard that the starboard could be mounted without any holes being drilled.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline bigspoon17

• Unit(s): 998c HD SI
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
I apologize.  I responded yesterday but it looks like it didn't take for some reason. Anyway,  I spoke to a mechanic that my guide speaks very highly of and his initial suggestion is to mount it in the step. I am going to drop it off tomorrow to see what he thinks after he looks at it in person.

Here is the transom at trim tab level:
ila_rendered

Here is a look at the transom through the trim tab:
ila_rendered

And here is a closer look at the step:
ila_rendered

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 01:16:50 PM »
I’d be worried about it getting damaged if mounted on the step as you stated you fish some skinny water.  Hope the mechanic knows what he is doing as it’s far easier to tell where to mount the transducer when you are there in person.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »
I think if you avoid areas with stumps and rocks, the step may
be OK.
I don't think that anybody gets the transducer mounting perfectly the first time.
It's a new boat, and a new fish finder.
You will have to put time on the water, and maybe try a few different mountings to get the absolute best out of the transducer.
I would not be in a hurry.  You can't rush experience.
Absolutely as JimmietheGreek and Greg says, use a transducer mounting plate.
This will reduce the number of holes you need to put in your hull.
I'd get a few opinions before you drill, or somebody else drills that first hole in your brand new boat.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:37:15 PM by ITGEEK »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo