Author Topic: 998c SI - Right side dark?  (Read 7316 times)

Offline sloveless

998c SI - Right side dark?
« on: February 24, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, it is kind of an install question.

So I installed a 998 unit on my boat a few weeks back, and have been trying to get it all tweaked correctly. The install wasn't too terrible all things considered, but I am having trouble with one thing. (So if anybody ever has a question on installing one of these on a Glastron or bowrider type inboard/outboard just holler at me.)

My right side imaging is always darker than my left side imaging, by a significant amount. In order to get a good read on the right side, I have to turn sensitivity up and contrast down so much the left side is completely whited out. Below is an example - note the big ball of shad by crosshairs is directly under my boat. On the left side, it is all white (return) while on the right you can barely even see the baitfish ball. This is a flat bottom.

So here I went by this structure in both directions, you can see both times the right side signal is extremely low compared to left side.

This isn't even close to the worst it gets because this is a very hard bottom. On soft bottom the right side is black while the left is full white (I forgot to take a snapshot on a soft bottom). It makes it pretty much impossible to tune in and actually see fish.

On to pics of transom: first pics from the side.

This is on a Glastron I/O, so I had to get the transducer down below the bottom of the lower unit mount. It is somewhat close to the motor, I know, but there is clear line of site underneath the lower unit for the full 'ducer. More importantly, the port side image is the good image, it is the starboard image that sucks, and there is nothing else over there on that side to block/interfere with the signal.

Okay, so from the back. When I first had this problem I thought, hey, my 'ducer probably isn't level. If the right side of the ducer is pointed up, that could explain why that side signal is weaker. So every time I have been out, I have turned the ducer slightly clockwise to get the right side down. Below is how it is currently:

As you can see, the right side is actually down now past level. I took a level out on the water with me today: my swim platform is level on calm water with me on the starboard side like I am driving, and the bottom of my lower unit is level with my swim platform. So in the water, the bottom of my lower unit is level - the ducer is now over-rotated clockwise but the signal isn't any better.

As well, in some pretty big swells (boat listing at least 10-15 degrees to each side) the right signal is never stronger than the left. I tried to get a pic of this, but had restored defaults and forgotten that it turns off taking images when you "Mark" your screen.

Anyone have any experience/ideas what could be the issue here? Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give as much info to anyone that might be able to help as possible.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: 998c SI - Right side dark?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:05:22 PM »
That is a long post but chock full of good information.
Do you know of anyone else that has a Humminbird Si unit that would allow you to try your unit on their boat/transducer and their unit on your boat/transducer?
Otherwise the problem could be in either the transducer (my first guess) or the unit.  You can try calling Humminbird and see if they will send you another transducer to test your unit with.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline sloveless

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:09:15 PM »
Thanks for the response Greg, that is the next thing I am going to try as both yourself and a guy on another forum suggested it. I don't personally know anyone with a similar system, but am going to try to look for somebody in the DFW area that I can convince to help me out.

In your experience should I wait until after I test on someone else's transducer before calling H-bird?

I'll come back by and update the post as I figure things out, hopefully I will find a solution pretty quickly.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »
I would if you can find someone within a week.  If not, call Humminbird.
By the way: this board has a “member map” which may help you in finding a fellow SideImagingSoft member that will let you test your unit on their boat.
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?action=googlemap

Offline sloveless

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 11:01:01 AM »
Update:

Had a fella with a 998 come out and switch head units this past weekend. My unit on his 'ducer looks amazing, no degradation of the starboard signal. My transducer in the exact same location shows almost no right side return. Called H-bird customer service and there is a new transducer being shipped to me as we speak. Great customer service! I'll continue to update as I test the new ducer and (hopefully) get it installed and working correctly on the boat.

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
Good deal and good troubleshooting on your part to be able to test it on another boat/transducer.

Offline hop307

• Unit(s): 898HD, 858HD
  • Accessories: I-pilot Link
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 10:18:48 AM »
Update:

Had a fella with a 998 come out and switch head units this past weekend. My unit on his 'ducer looks amazing, no degradation of the starboard signal. My transducer in the exact same location shows almost no right side return. Called H-bird customer service and there is a new transducer being shipped to me as we speak. Great customer service! I'll continue to update as I test the new ducer and (hopefully) get it installed and working correctly on the boat.

Did the new transducer work?  I am having the same issue with my 898.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo