Author Topic: Power converters  (Read 6358 times)

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Power converters
« on: January 05, 2010, 05:08:40 PM »
I ordered the 120vAC / 12vDC @ 2A power supply from Digikey like Robert posted about....

Checking my order status I see that the converter is not supposed to even ship until 2-14-10...that's a month and a half away...too long for me to wait...

I have several converters laying around from camcorders, cordless tools, flashlights, etc. that are no longer being used as those devices are long gone...

I have 1 that says 12vDC @600mA...and 1 that says 12vDC @1500mA...both from camcorder battery charging devices...

I also found one that says 13.6vDC @6.5W.....

I can probably even find more laying around if i dig deep enough...

Is there a certain type of these power supplies that will work and some that are not safe to use with the HB units....??

I think I read a post somewhere that some of these power supplies do not output a steady stream of power at the stated amperage needed to safely operated the HB units....??

Offline Jolly Roger

• HB Addicted
  • Unit(s): HELIX 9 G3N, 998Cx SI, 959DI
  • Software: latest (mostly)
  • Accessories: AS GR50, custom towfish and: A boat!!
Re: Power converters
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »
Hm, I don't know.
Using a batterie charger with the recommended output? From what I've heard, some charger are "pulsing" or "cycling" and I don't think that this will do any good to your unit.
I would suggest, you use a fully charged 12V batterie untill your converter arrives (I suppose you want to play around with the unit in the house, right?).
Don't forget to place a fuse in the + line.

Regards / Harry
YES,......
WE SCAN!

Offline George

• Unit(s): 2 - Solix 15s AutoChart Pro 1198
  • Software: Always up todate
  • Accessories: SI on Transom and Trolling Motor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:57:12 PM »
rnvinc

Look at "AC/DC Power Adapter" on this site.  There are a few different adapters that some folks are using.

Please remember to install an inline fuse.

George 

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »
I did a search for "AC /DC power adapters" and found only 3 that had been successfully used.....

1. the one from Digikey....
2. one from Radioshack that would have to be special ordered also....
3. one from a powered cooler someone had scavenged...

I guess my question is...How does one know if a certain AC/DC power adapter is a "pulsing/surging" type or a "steady stream" type ....??

Offline Whitedog

• Unit(s): 1197NVB
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »
I'm reluctant to give advice on something like this so I'll just say be cautious whatever you do.  Bad power from any source can have very bad effects on delicate electronic circuits and these units fall into that category.  Whatever ac/dc conversion source you use I would use a 12v battery in parallel with the source.  This will give you something to filter out a lot of the spurious voltages that might be riding on the rectified voltage.  I might trust a plain old battery charger with a decent sized 12v battery if I had no better solution.  I used to have a Garmin chartplotter for saltwater and it came with a computer kit that included an ac/dc power source.  Maybe Hbird could consider finding a suitable power supply or recommending one.

I am somewhat in the same situation, my new 1197 is installed but the weather is keeping me from using it.  I can't wait for it to warm up enough I can at least get in the barn and run it on the simulation mode.  Normally we are fishing even this time of year.

Offline soretoe

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 02:47:46 PM »
I did a search for "AC /DC power adapters" and found only 3 that had been successfully used.....

1. the one from Digikey....
2. one from Radioshack that would have to be special ordered also....
3. one from a powered cooler someone had scavenged...

I guess my question is...How does one know if a certain AC/DC power adapter is a "pulsing/surging" type or a "steady stream" type ....??

The only true way is to use an oscilloscope. If they are half wave power sources you might try using a voltage meter set for AC and see if it reads. I forget the formula for figuring RMS voltage but if it is a half wave you might be able to measure some voltage, at least more than 1 volt.

If those adapters have a model number then just try to google them for the specs.
Freedom isnt free, if you want to know the real cost visit a national cemetery or VA Hospital.

I can also be found at;
http://allatoonabass.proboards.com/

Offline diver651

• Unit(s): 1197, 1198
  • Software: 6.47
  • Accessories: Interlink, Aux Speed/Temp,
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:31:16 PM »
rnvinc,

The power supply I have been using is sold as a travel adapter (120V power source) for the 12V coolers. It plugs into the 120V AC household outlet and provides a 12v DC REGULATED voltage of 12.6v to a automobile cigarete socket (which is on the end of about a 12" length of wire0. It comes that way straight from the store (Walmart, Bass-Pro, Etc.). All you have to do it put a cigarette plug (with a fuse) on your HB power cable, or cut off the cigarette socket from the travel adapter and connect your HB power cable using wire nuts (making sure to use an in-line fuse).

I don't take offense, but it really isn't scavanged since you buy it exactly as you need it. The neat thing about it is you can use it to power or charge any device you would normally plug into your car cigarette lighter plug (GPS units, cell phone chargers), up to the 6 amp capacity of the unit (if you do not cut off the socket). The 1197 only draws about 2 amps.

I hope this is helpfull.

Mike

Offline soretoe

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 04:09:36 PM »
That sounds like a good tip to me. I'm going to look for one now and get rid of my little batteries.
Freedom isnt free, if you want to know the real cost visit a national cemetery or VA Hospital.

I can also be found at;
http://allatoonabass.proboards.com/

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 06:57:44 PM »
rnvinc,

The power supply I have been using is sold as a travel adapter (120V power source) for the 12V coolers. It plugs into the 120V AC household outlet and provides a 12v DC REGULATED voltage of 12.6v to a automobile cigarete socket (which is on the end of about a 12" length of wire0. It comes that way straight from the store (Walmart, Bass-Pro, Etc.). All you have to do it put a cigarette plug (with a fuse) on your HB power cable, or cut off the cigarette socket from the travel adapter and connect your HB power cable using wire nuts (making sure to use an in-line fuse).

I don't take offense, but it really isn't scavanged since you buy it exactly as you need it. The neat thing about it is you can use it to power or charge any device you would normally plug into your car cigarette lighter plug (GPS units, cell phone chargers), up to the 6 amp capacity of the unit (if you do not cut off the socket). The 1197 only draws about 2 amps.

I hope this is helpfull.

Mike

Please forgive me for my inappropiate choice of words.....in reference to the word "scavenged"..

I was hopin that I could "scavenge" one of the dozen or so converters I have layin around the house ....

Speaking of the power converter that you bought...can you tell me what section of the store that you found this item...I would like to purchase one myself...

Offline diver651

• Unit(s): 1197, 1198
  • Software: 6.47
  • Accessories: Interlink, Aux Speed/Temp,
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »
rnvinc,

I bought mine at Wal-Mart but have seen them at other places the thermo-electric coolers are sold. I think the were in the automotive or sporting goods section at Wal-Mart. It was a Black & Decker Travelmate AC/DC converter. The UPC code is 8 85911 01794 7. If it works I am attaching pictures of both the unit and the package so you know what it looks like.

Mike

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 11:09:37 AM »
Thanks diver651...the pics and the upc code will be a great help....not only to me...but I bet several can use this info......

Offline benamen

• Unit(s): 997C SI
  • Software: 4.75
  • Accessories: none
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 12:08:29 AM »
Yes thanks for the picture. Found one up here in Canada for $30. Lot more convenient and safer than a battery in the house. Especially when you have a lot of grand children around.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo