Author Topic: Discussion on new competition?  (Read 8036 times)

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
  • Unit(s): 899CI SI HD,1199SI HD, Helix 12 SI GEN3
  • Software: current
  • Accessories: ALL, and a HW ducer for the Helix 12 2D
Discussion on new competition?
« on: January 06, 2018, 03:21:19 AM »
What do you guys think on Hummibird's  current pricing when Lowrance is coming out with Hook2 12 inch screen model with SI, GPS, DI and a Totalscan transducer with Chirp   for the price of $1499?  Why would anybody pay over $2000 dollars for Humminbird Mega 12? 

Offline Rüdiger

Re: Discussion on new competition?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 04:37:41 AM »
Hi

Only 1200 khz is for real Mega!

mvh
Rüdiger

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:28:12 AM »
Nobody wants to comment on the 12 mega and the new Lowrance hook 12?

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »
Nobody wants to comment on the 12 mega and the new Lowrance hook 12?

Sometimes brand vs brand (even in the most innocent origination) turns into an ugly argument  ...

I fully believe your question has innocent inquiry (and could definitely bring some interesting discussion)  ...

But I feel that the members may rather discuss "HB feature vs HB feature" over "HB worth vs other brand worth"  ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:24:43 AM by rnvinc »

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:48:56 AM »
Sometimes brand vs brand (even in the most innocent origination) turns into an ugly argument  ...

I fully believe your question has innocent inquiry (and could definitely bring some interesting discussion)  ...

But I feel that the members may rather discuss "HB feature vs HB feature" over "HB worth vs other brand worth"  ...

I understand Rick...100% Completely...nobody wants to admit that another brand has just   plowed new ground with a better bang for the buck..that OK....maybe I am a higher form of sonar owner as I'm not married to any brand....

Rickie

Offline sonar112

• Unit(s): 917c
  • Software: unknown
  • Accessories: none
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:44:06 PM »
If the new, wonderful Hook2 is the greatest thing since sliced bread, why then would anybody pay $2000 for the Lowrance Elite-12 Ti with TotalScan transducer, or pay $3000 for a Lowrance HDS-12 Gen3 with StructureScan 3D bundle, or pay $3700 for a Lowrance HDS Carbon 12 with StructureScan 3D transducer?  Maybe these other units are better?  Maybe these other units offer more features and better performance?  You do get what you pay for.

Maybe the Hook2 is just a dumbed down version of the Lowrance line?  By the way, the TotalScan transducer is not compatible with the Hook2.  The Hook 2 comes with a TripleShot transducer, whatever that is. There is no information available on the Lowrance website for this transducer (at least I couldn’t find it).  Also, if one wanted built-in coastal maps, the price goes up to $1599.

Does the Hook2 have mega imaging? Is the Hook2 NMEA 2000 capable?  Is the Hook2 bluetooth enabled?  Can you pair the Hook2 with your smart phone?  Can the Hook2 utilize an external GPS receiver?  Does the Hook2 have an available wireless remote control?  Is the Hook2 compatible with Navionics Platinum+ Hotmaps?  Does the Hook2 come with a cover?  Does the Hook2 have view shortcut keys?  Does the Hook2 have a MOB key?  Does the Hook2 have two SD card slots?  Is the Hook2 power output 1000W RMS?  Does the Hook2 have a maximum DI depth of 400'?  A Chirp depth of 1500'?  Does the Hook2 side imaging provide 800' of side to side coverage?  I think you'll find the answer to these questions is no. 

One would think that a higher form of sonar owner would never settle for a stripped down economy version of a combo unit...or would he?

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 09:58:33 PM »
Good points but now Cabelas is shipping the Lowrance Hook 9 with 9" screen with sideimaging, downimaging, Chirp , GPS, 4 split screen viewing... @ $799...LMAO...in the final analysis it is all about $$$$ and as me being a die hard Hummingbird Man....these  prices are going explode the current pricing structure on all Humminbird Helix models... I just love the competition marketing  system...Isn't it great to to be a Fisherman and boat owner in the United States?   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:34:01 AM by fishreed »

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 10:04:32 PM »
Good points but now Cabelas is shipping the Lowrance Hook 9 with 9" screen with sideimaging, downimaging, Chirp , GPS, 4 split screen viewing... @ $799...LMAO...in the final analysis it is all about $$$$ and as die hard Hummingbird Man....these  prices are going explode the current pricing structure on all Humminbird Helix models... I just love the competition marketing  system...Isn't it great to to be a Fisherman and boat owner in the United States?

It is all about money as there is only so many buyers at the various price points vs features....the marketing system declares that when a new product offers similar features buyer will abandon other makes and models...the fact is these new Lowrance Hook units are going steal sales from the current Helix line at every screen size model.  I love this stuff because the consumer is the real winner!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:44:40 PM by fishreed »

Offline ropesfish

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 11:44:23 PM »
but it is NOT all about the money for everyone. Quality of images, durability, ease of use, the buyer's familiarity with a particular family of technology and it's operating systems....all play a part in a buying decision along with brand loyalty ( a dying attribute these days) and price. I would like to think that all the throwaway merchandise that Walmart and others have sold to Americans to use briefly and then toss in the landfill will someday teach us a lesson about greatest value vs lowest price.
I am ordering a SOLIX 15 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS along with Autochart Live Pro, an external GPS puck, some extra cables and a new Navionics chart card next week and my criteria is only the performance of the unit, particularly the quality of the side imaging and the ease of use.
Considering the limited number of days that the average person gets on the water, having the right electronic tools that work every time you turn them on is as important as having a dependable motor that gets you to and from the dock every time.   

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 01:44:31 AM »
but it is NOT all about the money for everyone. Quality of images, durability, ease of use, the buyer's familiarity with a particular family of technology and it's operating systems....all play a part in a buying decision along with brand loyalty ( a dying attribute these days) and price. I would like to think that all the throwaway merchandise that Walmart and others have sold to Americans to use briefly and then toss in the landfill will someday teach us a lesson about greatest value vs lowest price.
I am ordering a SOLIX 15 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS along with Autochart Live Pro, an external GPS puck, some extra cables and a new Navionics chart card next week and my criteria is only the performance of the unit, particularly the quality of the side imaging and the ease of use.
Considering the limited number of days that the average person gets on the water, having the right electronic tools that work every time you turn them on is as important as having a dependable motor that gets you to and from the dock every time.

That's great for you, but you are in the  minority as electronics manufacturers  canNOT  survive financially with guys buying at your price point. The vast majority  of guys buying GPS/sonar combos are buying based on screen size VS price...and it will get ugly as Humminbird is in a non competitive price position  VS screen size.

I just played with a Lowrance 9 inch screen Hook2 with SI @ $799 at the Sun Praire Cabeleas and it is fabulous unit and offers a ton of bang for the buck.....why would anybody want to pay a significant higher price for a Helix 9, or 10?   Humminbird prices will drop guys....they have to drop the prices or they will lose market share!

Offline Whistler

• Unit(s): 1198c SI, 1199ci, Helix 12 SI G2N
  • Software: 7.510,7.460,1.460
  • Accessories: Heading Sensor, NMEA
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 06:49:52 PM »
These units seem pretty nice.  So long as you don't need..

1) to share waypoints between units
2) to use an external GPS antenna to get the greatest possible accuracy for you waypoints
3) Want to use two SD cards in the unit
4) to connect to an Ethernet network
5) to connect to a NMEA network
6) any other imaging frequencies aside from 455KHz
7) a cover for the unit (sold separately)
8) to mount the unit in-dash (sold separately)
9) to run your boat through a car wash (must not be water proof?) though it lists IPX6 and IPX7

It does have scroll back and the ability to build custom views with up to 4 panels.  Definitely something that would be nice to see on the Helix models.

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »
These units seem pretty nice.  So long as you don't need..

1) to share waypoints between units
2) to use an external GPS antenna to get the greatest possible accuracy for you waypoints
3) Want to use two SD cards in the unit
4) to connect to an Ethernet network
5) to connect to a NMEA network
6) any other imaging frequencies aside from 455KHz
7) a cover for the unit (sold separately)
8) to mount the unit in-dash (sold separately)
9) to run your boat through a car wash (must not be water proof?) though it lists IPX6 and IPX7

It does have scroll back and the ability to build custom views with up to 4 panels.  Definitely something that would be nice to see on the Helix models.

All Good points but also minor points for the average guy.    BUt...the average guy buying a GPS/sonar unit isn't as fussy about these specific details,. Lowrance marketing people correctly figured it out as  it is ALL about the BIGGEST BADDEST "PRETTIEST Color screen at 12 inches at a price points that will put the competition at a extreme disadvantage.  Lets not give the average guy more credit on what features he wants...If a  poll was I would venture to guess more than 50% of these users couldn't name the frequencies  they even have on their unit let alone  cone coverage...The average guy hasn't even a clue to even understand how to interpret A SI view.

Let's put it this way....IF people can brag to their buddies they have 60" LED TV screen, who wants to brag they have a 55" screen of which  they paid more $$$.  The real world just doesn't work that way.  Size matters!

Offline N9Phil

• Unit(s): Solix 15 SI - Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSI
  • Accessories: 80Terova W/ i-Link -- 360
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 08:46:49 AM »
Fishreed, It all boils down to what features you would like to have and what will your budget allow.  It is true that we each make our decisions that we think are the best for us.  Those of us on this site are concerned with how we can get the best out of our Humminbird equipment.  It sounds like you are ready to switch to Lowrance equipment.  This might be a good choice for you but for me I do not care what Lowrance has or what it can do. 
Solix 15 SI  Onix10 CI SI - 1198 CSIAccessories:80Terova W/ i-Link -- Transom 360

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 09:47:12 AM »
Fishreed, It all boils down to what features you would like to have and what will your budget allow.  It is true that we each make our decisions that we think are the best for us.  Those of us on this site are concerned with how we can get the best out of our Humminbird equipment.  It sounds like you are ready to switch to Lowrance equipment.  This might be a good choice for you but for me I do not care what Lowrance has or what it can do.

That is your opinion and it may be slightly limited in a close minded perspective,  but guys in my league always want to know about the capabilities of another manufacturer's  sonar product to formulate what is best for them in price and performance, regardless of make or model...Don't get your exercise by jumping to the conclusion I might be considering a jump to Lowrance...All I am saying is don't be a head in the sand consumer turning a blind eye to other manufacturer's products and capabilities. It behooves  everyone to be the best  educated and informed consumer  to see if the grass maybe greener and cheaper on the other side of the fence.  IT's all about money, features,  and getting the biggest bang for the buck as manufacturer's compete for your dollars.  There is nothing wrong with knowing about the total BIG picture with marine sonar.

Offline October1

• Unit(s): Getting ready to buy
  • Software: N/A
  • Accessories: None
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 09:56:15 PM »
I seen a couple Hook2 video's on youtube last night (one was done at Lowrance) and they seem to have good quality. I think they will will sell well. I would post the video's here for informational purposes but I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

They have all the basics and seem to have done a great job rebuilding this line. They don't have Structure Map (same as Mosaic Live from HB) and I don't think there is any mapping your own lake like with AutoChart or any high end features. The TripleShot has 2D Chirp, Side Scan, Down Imaging and a basic GPS plotter to mark way points with. All the things you really 'need' for the average guy. I think a 7" TrippleShot is about $400 and the 9" is $800 at Cabelas but you can find them cheaper other places. Not high end machines feature wise, but good bang for the buck that will make most guys quite happy. They said they are targeting the average guy/weekend warrior.

Offline fishreed

• fishreed
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 01:56:46 PM »
To My Humminbird Brothers,

I just got to play with the Hook2 with the 12' screen  at the Hammond, IN  Cabelas store last Friday 1-26-18 as it was put on display just 2 hours before I got there.    I will tell you what guys.....it literally blew me away.  For $1499 with a huge 12 inch screen,  there is a ton of bang for the buck all things considered.  I will also state that this unit is not only going  steal sales away from the Helix Mega line ....but it will steal sales away from the upper models of the Lowrance line too. That 12 inch screen flat out gorgeous. It was real darn easy for me to set it for a guy who hasn't used a Lowrance  product since my  350A days. I was talking to my wife about my electronic sonar discovery, as she  knows I have every toy imaginable which I never needed.  "I suppose you want one of those too," as she rolled her eyes.  "Not really"  I replied. BUt.... I would love to use it on a boat in real time just to see how it works on a portable transducer mount."    She replied, "You have a birthday coming up, maybe the  leprechaun will spend some of that gold at the end of the rainbow.... We do have a new pontoon without a sonar/GPS unit as I was just going to install a Humminbird transducer and use my extra 899SI ...maybe I can put this Lowrance HOOK2 12 on the pontoon just for poops and giggles....too much transducer relocation work and interference to run  on my walleye boat to switch to Lowrance........but then again who knows  :o

For the guy who stated the feature to run an  the external GPS puck for better accuracy....How much more accuracy does a person really need? Even my 1199SI without an external GPS puck can get me close to 15 feet from  a waypoint.... For all the hassle of running an external GPS puck...an external GPS puck is obsolete and is NOT an demand realistic feature.   

As far as 2 slots for mapping? ...I just use my 899SI with 2 slots as strictly as a full screen plotter anyway as any lake I fish is covered by the Navionics card as I have no interest in mapping, If I can get close and see fish on the screen ...I will nail them. .....that  gives me an idea....I could buy an extra Tripleshot Lowrance transducer for my walleye boat and turn off the 1199SI and switch between the Hook2 12....SO MANY CHOICES AND SOOOO LITTLE TIME...LMAO ;D   

The Hook2 12 inch model does have the 800mhz frequency too but I never use on my 1199SI anyway with twin side imaging HD transducers...the 455mhz  gets you way more bottom coverage.

but then again if humminbird would get off this $2299 for  MegA 12....I WOULD NOt HAVE TO BUY A HOOK2 12 WOULD I ? 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:31:19 PM by fishreed »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo