Author Topic: Intro  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Whitedog

• Unit(s): 1197NVB
Intro
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »
Weellll, I've been lurking a while and trying to get a handle on this SI technology in anticipation of purchasing it for my bass boat so maybe it's time to come  out.  BTW, the Whitedog name is one I use on several other forums so I use it whenever I can.  It relates to another hobby, upland hunting with pointer and setter dogs.  I'm gettting to the point my memory isn't what it once was so using the same user name and password simplifies things for me.

I had planned to get a 700 series depth finder/gps for the bow to be used while on the trolling motor and a 997 or (hopefully) 1197 for the console.  Found a 797SI on Ebay at a price almost the same as for a plain bottom machine so purchased it and it should arrive any time now.  I've been a really good boy so hopefully Santa will bring me one of the others for Christmas or shortly after.  Now, I only have to remove everything from the bilge in the back of the boat and attempt to get wires and cables run.  If you have ever owned a bass boat you know that is never as simple as it sounds.  I spent thirty years as an Electronics Tech so maybe I still can follow instructions and not blow up a unit.

I'm already a bit confused about the software available and it use so I'll have lots of questions shortly.  Meanwhile I'll continue to learn from the posts, pictures and videos here.  I'm excited about it and at my age it's not easy to get me excited about anything.

Offline wizzo86

• diving in phillapenes
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:52:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum whitedog.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:53:50 PM by wizzo86 »

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:15:31 AM »
Welcome Whitedog.
Let the questions commence!  Most of us here are more than willing to help answer whatever you have to ask.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline Whitedog

• Unit(s): 1197NVB
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
Questions?  OK, the 797 came in a little while ago but I don't think I will even unpack it tonight.  I spent the day doing the Christmas thing with the wife then going to my six year old grandson's play tonight but I do have a couple of preliminary questions.

I know there is some waypoint management software on the Humminbird site.  Is that what most people use?  Also, I would really like to be able to view the lake topo maps from my Navionics chip on the larger screen of my computer.  The Navionics site indicates that I need to purchase their DVD.  That's ok but will it enable me to see my chip on the computer or is it a separate map program?  Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

Oh, I have one other question, is the transduce for the 797 the same as is used with the 1197?  The reason I ask is that I could go ahead and install it if it is the same.  Otherwise, I have to wait til I purchase the 997 or whatever to do the transducer install. 

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »
Someone else will have to answer the Navionics mapping program questions.  I do know that they have their own program for this (NavPlanner) but I think they were talking about something else (can’t remember what they call it…).

The HumminbirdPC program is a freebie off the Humminbird web site when you register your unit.  It can be used for some basic waypoint management and I suppose many people use it for that.  “Power users” (those that have to manage many waypoints) probably use some other program though and there are a few to choose from.  Also, for 2010 there should be a new software upgrade coming out that has a Waypoint Management option for the unit (not sure if/when the HumminbirdPC program will get some of this).

The 797 uses the Compact Side Imaging (CSi) transducer but can also use the larger High Definition Side Imaging (HDSi) transducer that the 997/1197 uses.  Even though it can use the HDSi transducer it will not be able to use the higher 800kHz Si sonar frequyency that this transducer can produce.  Different bolt holes so you may want to go ahead and call Humminbird (1-800-633-1468) and see if they will let you trade your CSi transducer in for an HDSi transducer.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo