Author Topic: IS there a trolling motor out there that is not known to cause INERFERANCE???  (Read 3433 times)

Offline tomb.rx

• Unit(s): 798 ci 587 ci
I need a bow mounted unit dont know if im gonna go with SI or just DI just yet last summer i put on a unit that was a DI and had crazy interferance from my TM so i sent it back and put on a 587 CI with a TM transducer extra 80$ and have no problems other then the little 4 inch screen  :-[ !! now im gonna move the 587 to my tri hull 10 foot boat!! I NEED a new trolling motor as is so i might as well buy one that is not known to cause interferance that way i dont have to worry about what unit i should buy to put infront of the boat!!!! i heard the minn kota EDGE 5 speed does not cause interferance because it dosnt have the variable speed thingy!!!

please help !!!!

Offline sonar2000

• Chief
  • Global Moderator
  • It is not lost ...it has been misplaced.
  • Unit(s): (1) 1197 (1) 1198
  • Software: 6.6
  • Accessories: Tow Fish
Tomb....dont know if there is an interference free trolling motor.

This is because of so many variables or conditions between each.
Factors such as construction, voltage  (amps), positioning, wiring, grounding, shielding or chokes (installed or added).

You might take some time and search this forum on the subject. There are many postings on this issue....
As well as a lot of experienced guys who have gone thru the issue and with some posting fixes...

There is a search area at the top of the main menu. Be creative with the search arguments and possibly use several attempts to find the postings..

Once you select a topic you will find related posting below the returned post. Those may contain information pertinent also..

Chuck

Offline ITGEEK

• Unit(s): 1198c -Team Watters SS - Lexerd SP
  • Software: 7.670
  • Accessories: XM Weather - Weathersense
I agree with Chuck.
My advise would be to use a transom mounted sonar with a bow mounted trolling motor.
Have as much distance between the devices as possible.
Have completely separate batteries and wires for each device and try your best not
to cross the wires.

It's not just the pulsing that causes interference.  I have a big 60 volt electric motor that does not pulse at all.  I hooked the sonar to one of it's 5 batteries and I had interference like you wouldn't believe.  Any two electrical devices in close proximity and/or hooked to the same battery will most likely cause some interference.  I think the reason why trolling motors cause so much interference mainly, is that they draw a lot of current.

Offline FuzzyGrub

• Joe Fish
  • Unit(s): 999ci HD, 798ci HD, 597ci HD DI
  • Software: Latest
  • Accessories: TSW,
This was posted on BBC and is good tutorial on noise: http://www.biggeorgiaspots.com/boats-and-electronics/62-other-stuff/180-aaargh-sonar-noise.html?showall=1

In general, a PWM speed control trolling motor (MK:Maximizer, MG:Digital) will have more noise than a speed coil type.  Not sure I would sacrifice infinite speed and some battery use efficiency to use a speed coil type. 
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy fisherman.

JohnS

http://joefishin.com/

Offline Double Digit

• Unit(s): 998 c si...Navionics Platinum +
  • Software: 6.180
That is a great site that FuzzyGrub posted.Not just for the information on noise and what to do about it but just a lot of all around good information on sonar.I enjoyed all those articles... ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo