Author Topic: Networking helix 10  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Pck

• Unit(s): 788ci
Networking helix 10
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:13:38 PM »
Hi, new here. Looking forward to learning and sharing with you guys. As soon as The tax return arrives I'm looking to network a helix 10si at the bow, helix 10si at the console, ipilot link, add a dual beam transducer on the transom to the console unit and wire my vhf radio with nema output from the console unit for gps position. Any advice would be appreciated. Also any recommendations on where to buy the helix 10's for a good price? Thanks

Offline lblanchette

• Unit(s): Helix 9 SI GPS; Helix 10 SI GPS
Re: Networking helix 10
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 07:00:31 AM »
I just bought a Helix 10 SI GPS and a Helix 9 SI GPS.  Definitely shop the net ... no tax and free shipping.  I bought mine from Amazon.  Really like the units and on the lake this weekend learning how to use them.  Experiencing trolling motor interference on my front unit and working to resolve that.  Haven't networking the two yet but talked to humminbird about it and it sounds easy ... buying the adapters and running a cable.

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 12:13:24 AM »
Hi, new here. Looking forward to learning and sharing with you guys. As soon as The tax return arrives I'm looking to network a helix 10si at the bow, helix 10si at the console, ipilot link, add a dual beam transducer on the transom to the console unit and wire my vhf radio with nema output from the console unit for gps position. Any advice would be appreciated. Also any recommendations on where to buy the helix 10's for a good price? Thanks

For networking 3 devices you will need the AS ETH 5PXG 5 port switch ...
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/AS-ETH-5PXG/

You will need 2 Ethernet adapter cables (1 for each HELIX) ...
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/AS-EC-QDE/

You will need 2 Ethernet cables long enough to reach from each HELIX to the AS ETH 5PXG ...
http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater/Product-Category/Accessories/Cables/?facets=7319,

The iPilot should come with an Ethernet cable which will also go to the AS ETH 5PXG ...
-----

You will need the AS SIDB Y cable for connecting a dual beam xducer along with the provided HDSI to the console unit ...
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/AS-SIDB-Y/

Here is the transom mount dual beam ...
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/XNT-9-20-T/

If your boat is fiberglass you might think about a shoot thru dual beam instead of the transom mount dual beam (to have fewer xducers mounted to your transom) ...
-----

I don't have experience with VHF... but I'm sure some here do ...

Rickie
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:16:09 AM by rnvinc »

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 12:17:30 AM »
I just bought a Helix 10 SI GPS and a Helix 9 SI GPS.  Definitely shop the net ... no tax and free shipping.  I bought mine from Amazon.  Really like the units and on the lake this weekend learning how to use them.  Experiencing trolling motor interference on my front unit and working to resolve that.  Haven't networking the two yet but talked to humminbird about it and it sounds easy ... buying the adapters and running a cable.

iblanchette ...Are you working with Humminbird on your interference issue ...??

Rickie

Offline Pck

• Unit(s): 788ci
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 03:16:08 PM »
Iblanchette, Thanks for your info - is your bow unit wired to the trolling motor batteries? Or did you run the power wires in the same wire bundle as the trolling motor cables? These can create interference problems.

Rnvinc - your reading my mind...I've been pricing those exact items. My boat is aluminum (Crestliner 1750 Fishawk, 115 Opti) so I have to hang it on the transom. Have people been having issues with the motor blocking the side imaging beam ?? Thx for your input.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 10:15:13 PM »
Rnvinc - your reading my mind...I've been pricing those exact items. My boat is aluminum (Crestliner 1750 Fishawk, 115 Opti) so I have to hang it on the transom. Have people been having issues with the motor blocking the side imaging beam ?? Thx for your input.

Any protrusion to either side of the SI xducer can create blockage on that side ...

I've even seen livewell screens create enough blockage to render that side of the SI image dark out in the fringe of that side of the display ...

Rickie

Offline lblanchette

• Unit(s): Helix 9 SI GPS; Helix 10 SI GPS
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 01:29:19 PM »
Pck - trolling motor is wired to 24 v system and Helix is wired to fuse box (cranking battery).  Transducer wire is coiled up on the deck and not near internal power wires.

Rickie - Ran a ground wire from Helix power source negative to a spade terminal that I fixed under the transducer clamp on the trolling motor.  Tests I performed at the house (water in a big container to immerse transducer) didn't show previous interference (depth reading all over the place) when running the trolling motor.  Hopefully I have fixed the "noise" issue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo