Author Topic: A little disappointed  (Read 195 times)

Offline Whistler

• Unit(s): 1198c SI, 1199ci
  • Software: 7.510,7.460
A little disappointed
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »
Well, I've had my Helix 12 Mega SI G2N installed and running for nearly two months now.  And I must say, I'm a little disappointed.  Figured I'd post my thoughts and see what others have to say or might suggest.

First off, this unit replaced the 1199 which was at my console and is now at the bow.  Overall I've been really happy with the 1198 and 1199 units that I had before I got the Helix 12.

Let me start by laying out what I like about it

-New screen is really bright and wide.  No dead pixels!
-New transducer has a dedicated DI element.  One of the main reasons I bought it
-I've got some new screen options like chart + sonar and side stacked - Thumbs up!
-The aesthetics - This is a good looking unit
-Simpler connections - 1 plug connects everything!
-Quicker scrolling with the Dpad
-Mega SI seems to generate clearer images
-Standby power feature - Awesome!
-#11 on the SI/DI Color palette

Dislikes:
-Medium/High frequency sonar setting seems to create very blocky sonar returns
-Down imaging...just doesn't seem to produce good clear images.  With the dedicated DI element I expected much, much better and hoped it would be on par with competitors, but it just isn't.  This was my main reasoning for purchase and my biggest disappointment
-Shoddy software releases - This has been an issue for a long time, but as an IT professional, I'm really disappointed at how poor the QA seems to be on software releases.  I don't expect things to be perfect, but some things just shouldn't be missed.
-Weight of the unit.  This thing is twice the weight of my 1199 I'd guess.  Be extremely careful when putting the unit in the Gimble mount.  If you take your hands off of it, it will rotate and fall out of the Gimble mount before you can cinch the thumb screws down
-#1 on the SI/DI color palette...what did you do to my blue?  its not the same.
-Loss of bottom in soft bottom, shallow water and telling me the water is twice the actual depth especially in shallow water.  I've tried tweaking the sensitivity but no luck
-In shallow water, on the left SI side, the bottom edge isn't crisp.  I'm thinking this is likely a problem with the left SI element placement/angle inside of the transducer.  I've probably got a weak lobe in the beam from an improperly aligned element and Humminbird will likely replace the transducer but I haven't reached out to them yet on that.

I'm sure there are some other good things I forgot about and some other bad things.  But really, my main disappointment is with the DI.  I'm really disappointed in that.

Just thought I'd share and see what others experience has been.

-jason

Offline Bob B

• Charter Member
  • Unit(s): 1197c si, 1198c si
  • Software: 6.310, 6.490
Re: A little disappointed
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 01:21:28 PM »
Can you post some images of the DI you are getting ..... most people have been very happy with it.
**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo