Author Topic: Helix GPS ?  (Read 4823 times)

Offline LGF

• Luke, I don't have hobbies just Obsessions!
  • Unit(s): Helix 7 SI GPS HELIX 9 CHIRP MEGA SI G2N
Helix GPS ?
« on: July 14, 2016, 03:50:27 PM »
Just placed an order for the Helix 5 SI GPS unit here in South Africa and converted back to USD it had set me back 891 USD, whilst BPS (Bass Pro Shops) is selling them for 499, so here's the question?

Since I have a potential trip coming up to Toronto I will as in the past visit the BPS store and fly some serious fishing gear back with me. That said, I would like to buy a series 9 with SI and GPS whilst there, but have heard many a story here from guys that have bought older 598 and so forth in the US with GPS functionality and when they tried using these in SA they (the GPS) did not work.

Another was a fishing acquaintance that mentioned that he was asked by a sales rep in BPS whether he was taking it to SA and if so that he had to pay another 100 USD for the unit that would function correctly in SA. Rediculous by all means!!!!!

Nonetheless, the question I have is if I am to buy it in Toronto, will it (GPS wise) be fully functional in SA?

If so, I can look at a saving of 704 USD at the current prices.

PS my employer pays for the entire trip, so traveling there costs me nothing.
When I die, will someone please dress as the Grim Reaper and attend silently and a little distance away from the rest of the crowd? ROFL

Offline rnvinc

• Unit(s): 1197c SI Combo, SOLIX G2 MSI
  • Software: Dependent on whim
  • Accessories: AS GRHA, MEGA 360, LowBird LSS 1 & 2
Re: Helix GPS ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 11:32:16 PM »
I sent a note to Deb at HB with your question ...

Please be patient ...she is a very busy rep ...

Rickie

Offline LGF

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 02:28:41 AM »
Rickie

Thanx so much, no probs, my trip is only in a couple of months, so no rush yet ;D
When I die, will someone please dress as the Grim Reaper and attend silently and a little distance away from the rest of the crowd? ROFL

Offline Silviu

• Unit(s): wide view,999
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
hi lgf,

i bought a 999 BIRD from Canada Calgary and bring it to europe romania.
if you buy the internațional version which means you can change the language and have opțions to move from feet to meter etc The gps will still have an error in distance but it doesn t mater because it puts me on map corectly(coordonates on waypoints are ok).the important thing is to gather the sattelite well in your region.so i din t hâd Any problems So far.
i also don t know Why humminbird cannot hold the prices like in USA or Canada for direct distribuitors in europe ......the prices in eu are extremely high compare to usa.also lowrance haș a price  difference but not like humminbird!!! stupid strategy.

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 11:07:45 PM »
LGF ... I see Deb hasn't popped in yet to help with your question ...

Here is some contact information for international ... I suggest you call or email with your questions ...

http://www.johnsonoutdoors.com/Main.aspx?id=127

Rickie

Offline LGF

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »
Thanx for the replies, yeah, I mailed them the question/s and just got the usual generic response without to the point answers, really not what I expected from company that produces such quality products.

Anyhow, I went ahead and bought the 7 SI (from a local distributor) and all was ok, until I recorded some tracks, saved those and imported that into Autochart PC, all the recordings was way off from where they should have been, some even on dry land way beyond the waters edge, WT?

Also, I tried buying a unit from Canada, who btw sells the international units, but the company has an issue delivering to South Africa. The interesting thing I found is that seemingly the international units have model numbers ending with a xxxxxxxxx-1 at the end, whilst the US models seemingly end with a xxxxxxxxx-0 at the end. Not sure if this is correct, maybe a US based owner could verify what their model/s last digit is?

Offline rnvinc

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 01:56:13 AM »
The part number for my 1197 is 407160-1
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/1197c-SI-Combo/

The part number for my ONIX 8 is 408860-1
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/ONIX8ci-SI-Combo/

I haven't been able to locate the international versions on the HB website ...

Rickie

Offline LGF

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 10:29:51 PM »
Thanx for the response, well if I was mistaken concerning the model numbers then I am going to find out when I get back home on Friday morning. Just bought the Helix 9 mega Si G2N and I did so whilst being abroad.

I don't have an issue with language, English is what I use, units of measurement, feet and mph and even the temp in Fahrenheit is what we use whilst we fish so, no issue. Was told by the sales person and his supervisor in the Big Pro Outdoor (yes that one) that GPS won't be a problem even if the unit was a US model, but swore the unit I bought was the international unit, so we'll see?

As long I Autochart live works and I can mark a waypoint and return to the same waypoint and the units are in imperial and it is in English and not in Swahili or Chinese, then there's no issue! My flight leaves Thursday morning and I should be back at home able to connect it to 13v to see what's what!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo