Author Topic: Overlay question  (Read 6143 times)

Offline johnmr12

• Unit(s): 898c
Overlay question
« on: April 06, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »
I was reading where I should be able to select the lakemaster map in my 898 and then overlay it with the zero lines map that I created. My understanding is that I would have all the detail that is already on the lakemaster map with the custom detail that I have created with auto chart. But when I chart select the lakemaster map, the overlay and transparency options disappear. Is this feature only available on higher priced models?

Offline Humminbird_Greg

• Humminbird Helper
  • Humminbird Staff
  • I help because I can
    • Humminbird Web Site
Re: Overlay question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 08:52:03 AM »
I think that the 898 can do this but i don;t have one to try it on right now.  What software version are you running in your 898 unit?
Just confirming that you have both a LakeMaster and a ZeroLines map card installed at the same time, right?

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Offline johnmr12

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »
My software is version 7.510. I don't have a lakemaster card. My unit has a built in map, so I can either have chart select on auto or contour XD and my lake will be there. I was hoping I could then overlay the zero lines card data on that map.

Offline CamoHunter

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI, 788ci HD, 788ci HD
  • Accessories: AutoChart Pro, Terrova 80 - iPilot Link
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:30:13 AM »
I don't know why you would want to do that, since the ZeroLines shorelines are more accurate than the built in Contour XD lake outlines in most cases.

But, check out pages 9-16 here.  I don't know if it is possibly to select Contour XD as a basemap though.  You can choose AC as an overlay though.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IE_4njdjrPZUYwOFlKQW5nLUE/view?usp=sharing

Offline johnmr12

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
I don't have a lakemaster map card, I have a navionics card. I also have a built in map in the 898 unit which has as much detail as the navionics card and I assume as much detail as the lakemaster card. The reason why I want to overlay my zero lines data on the built in map is because I have just started mapping my lake and its about 65,000 acres of water. I want to be able to slowly incorporate the custom mapping data into the detail that I already have from the built in map. I tried using the navionics card with the zero lines card but as expected the options for a base layer and overlay disappear. I was hoping I could select the built in map and then use the zero lines card data to overlay that. However, my options for selecting the chart I want to use are left card, right card, auto, and contour XD. Since the map is built in, left and right card isn't going to do it. When I select auto, it uses the zero lines card, and when I select contour XD, the options for base layer and overlay disappear. So, I am going to conclude that the only way to overlay the data is if I had a lakemaster card. So I will just use my built in map unless I am fishing an area that I have custom mapped, and I can switch between the 2 using chart select.

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:03:10 PM »
What lake is it?

Sounds like you've tried everything you can.  Overlay must not be possible for Contour XD like you mentioned.  I already knew it wasn't for Navionics.

Part of the confusion of this thread stemmed from you saying you had a Lakemaster card in your 1st post, then in
your 2nd post says you don't have a lakemaster map just the Contour XD built in map.  Then in your 3rd post, you're talking about a Navionics card.  That made things confusing.

But when I chart select the lakemaster map, the overlay and transparency options disappear.
I don't have a lakemaster card. My unit has a built in map, so I can either have chart select on auto or contour XD.
I don't have a lakemaster map card, I have a navionics card. I also have a built in map.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:10:58 PM by CamoHunter »

Offline johnmr12

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »
When I said I selected the lakemaster map I was referring to the built in map in my unit because I assume they use the same contour detail that is on their lakemaster card. The funny thing is that all this time I have had a navionics card in my unit thinking that was how I was able to see my lake map. I had no idea the card was totally unnecessary. Since discovering this, I took the navionics card completely out of the unit. Whats the point when all it does is take up a slot. Now I have my zero lines card and a blank card. I could spend 150 bucks for a lakemaster card but I will just switch my chart select between contour XD and the zero lines card

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:51:50 PM »
You assumed wrong.  It totally depends on which lake you're looking at. 

If a lake has been surveyed by Lakemaster, it will display a WAY better map than the basemap in your unit.  If it hasn't been surveyed, then it isn't any better than your basemap, and there is no point in buying the card.  The same goes for Navionics.

That is why those companies publish the list of lakes that are on their cards, and whether they're high definition 1ft contours or not.  To save you from buying a card that would be worthless (aka unnecessary) to you.

What lake is it?  I can tell you if either Lakemaster or Navionics have it surveyed.

Offline mike82

• Unit(s): 998 HD SI, 597 HD DI
  • Software: 7.090
  • Accessories: ipilot link
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 10:01:31 PM »
I have the 998 lakemaster 2014 and lakemaster auto chart zero lines card. I can get auto chart to overlay but its not a perfect system. Sometimes i have to keep selecting and reselcting which slot to use for my card before it works. Once i get it to overlay im good for the day but it can be frustrating when it dont want to work. I would like to add im running the most current software on the 998 as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo