Author Topic: I need some help  (Read 7330 times)

Offline johnmr12

• Unit(s): 898c
I need some help
« on: April 03, 2015, 09:46:58 PM »
I got my auto chart software today. I recorded 2 separate areas the other day onto a blank SD card. Here is what I did after I installed the software. I centered the map so my lake would be in the middle. Then I clicked on "Import", and selected the "dat" file. After a few seconds, it said Conversion done. Then it put a green box on the map where I had made the recording. When I right click on the box and select "map here", it shows the zig zag pattern of my boat. In the example that I saw in a you tube video, it was supposed to show contour lines. What happened?

Offline johnmr12

Re: I need some help
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »
So, I clicked on 'create map" and this is what I got...ila_rendered

Offline johnmr12

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 12:15:20 PM »
Ok, so I figured out that I had to slide that ball on the left all the way down to actually see the contour lines and depths. My problem now is when I export it to the zero line card and put it in my unit, the only data on the card is the line showing the course that the boat travelled while I was recording.

Offline johnmr12

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 01:27:19 PM »
One more piece of info and then hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. The data that is installed on the zero lines card is the line of travel of my boat from the moment I turned it on until I turned it off at the dock when I got back.

Offline johnmr12

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »
Sorry for posting so much but I'm more confused now than I was before I even bought the auto chart product. All this time I thought the map I was seeing on my screen was coming from my navionics card, but when I remove the card from the unit I still have a map of my lake with the same detail as the navionics card. Does that mean I can go to any lake and it will have contour lines without having to buy a map card? What am I missing? As for my original issue, the course lines that I see on the zero lines card are not on the card but in the unit, just like my waypoints. So when I cleared all the tracks, whats left on the zero lines card is an icon of a tape recorder that looks like the device you see when you are in record mode, and its in the area where I did my sonar recording.

Offline CamoHunter

• Unit(s): 1199ci HD SI, 788ci HD, 788ci HD
  • Accessories: AutoChart Pro, Terrova 80 - iPilot Link
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 08:42:03 AM »
Have you gone through these tutorials?

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=8122.0

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 08:56:35 AM »
Specifically, go through this tutorial.  It will walk you through what to do, step by step.

Also, here's some things to hopefully clear up some info for you. 
You ZeroLines SD card ONLY has shoreline outlines, until you fill lakes with your own surveys and created maps.  So you will not see contour lines on it, unless you've created them.

A navionics card may have contour lines for your lake, if it is a lake they've surveyed already.  If you're working on creating a map for a lake that isn't on a Navionics card, why even have the Navionics card in?  Take it out so you don't get confused, and so you don't accidentally save data to it.

When you're surveying a lake, your depthfinder will display your boat track, and it will also drop a waypoint wherever you begin a sonar recording (which looks like a film recorder like you described).  That is JUST a track and waypoint on your depthfinder, so those remain on your unit until you delete them.

Offline johnmr12

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 09:02:23 AM »
Most of the questions that I had when I first started I was able to figure out by reading your tutorial about creating a map. It appears that your files are on your computer already when you import them into the auto chart program. I am importing mine directly from the SD card in my card reader, but I assume it really doesn't matter. My program never asks me if I want to offset the water level or any other options before creating the map. Other than that, it does all the steps that you show in the tutorial. My problem is when it says my lakemaster SD card has been successfully updated, I stick the card into my unit and there's nothing on it. When I view the files in the AC/Lakemaster folder, there are several .bin files that were created when I did the card update so I know something is being written on the card. All I have is the blank outline of the lake. I tried uninstalling and re installing the auto chart software, I have tried creating the map more than 10 different times. Nothing is working, but according to auto chart every time I create the map it works because the BIN files show the current time and date as though they have been updated.

Offline johnmr12

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
By the way, I may be the only moron who wasn't aware of this but my 898 came with an internal map that has the same detail on my local lakes as the navionics card and I assume the lakemaster card as well. So I really wasted 150 bucks for a map card.

Offline johnmr12

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »
I apologize. When I read your tutorial I didn't read all the way to the end. It works fine. I'm not sure if you work for Humminbird but that tutorial is outstanding. I was really frustrated with the basic instructions that came with the software, but those tutorials seem to cover everything.

Offline CamoHunter

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 10:21:12 AM »
Nope, don't work for Humminbird.  Just saw a lot of people struggling with AutoChart and thought those would help clear up a lot of questions. 

The reason you don't see it asking for water level offset, is because that is an import setting you have to make.  Go to File -> Import settings -> and check the box next to 'ask for water level/tide adjustmest when importing data'.  That may not be the exact wording, but close (I'm going off memory).

And yes, you're right.  I import my data from my computer.  The reason I don't do it from the SD card, is because I have a lot of recordings, and my sd card would fill up quickly.  So, I always copy those files over onto my computer first.  Then import them into AutoChart.

Glad I could help!  If you have more questions let me know!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal